Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fucking Hickman, Weiss, and Salvatore. Die in a fire.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Some Warlock invocations! :)

ScXbq4U.jpg

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I think that's all the invocations for the Warlock. They get 32, and I think that's 32 on those pages. They are quite weak over all...not very happy about this.

primordial

Literate
I think that's all the invocations for the Warlock. They get 32, and I think that's 32 on those pages. They are quite weak over all...not very happy about this.

They are more powerful than at-will spells other spellcasters get.

Alchemist

Arcane
You know the Warlock gets spells and cantrips in addition to invocations right?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
That's actually the Warlock spell list before the wizard. And Warlocks get very few spell slots, like only 4 at level 20. (and 2 at level 10) They recharge on a short rest true, but still.

Alchemist

Arcane
Wizards should always have the widest and biggest selection of spells, because they're wizards. Some of those Warlock invocations are pretty powerful, being at-wills that don't use spell slots and such. I don't see the problem so far - but until I get my hands on the book I can't know for sure.

primordial

Literate
I listened to the actsofgeek podcast and I am dumbfounded. They wondered why someone not playing on a grid would need to know the dimensions of a spell effect or why reach is 5 feet. They declared that advantage/disadvantage is "wishy-washy" and will lead to arguments. They think lots of people will multiclass 1 Fighter / 1 Wizard in the beginning for Heavy Armor because a wizard can cast spells in armor. Of course, they never mentioned the ability score requirements to multiclass and the fact that a wizard could just have the Mage Armor cantrip. They actually bitched about inspiration of all things, calling it "wishy-washy" because it might reward roleplaying your character. They also apparently argue a lot in their roleplay group.

That isn't all the stupid comments and at the end they just dismissed the whole game without even playing it.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
That's not surprising. Reading their reviews they seem borderline retarded there.

Has anyone found some intelligent reviews of the PHB out there?

J1M

Arcane
I listened to the actsofgeek podcast and I am dumbfounded. They wondered why someone not playing on a grid would need to know the dimensions of a spell effect or why reach is 5 feet. They declared that advantage/disadvantage is "wishy-washy" and will lead to arguments. They think lots of people will multiclass 1 Fighter / 1 Wizard in the beginning for Heavy Armor because a wizard can cast spells in armor. Of course, they never mentioned the ability score requirements to multiclass and the fact that a wizard could just have the Mage Armor cantrip. They actually bitched about inspiration of all things, calling it "wishy-washy" because it might reward roleplaying your character. They also apparently argue a lot in their roleplay group.

That isn't all the stupid comments and at the end they just dismissed the whole game without even playing it.
Which system do they usually play with?

primordial

Literate

Which system do they usually play with?

One liked 4e, the other liked 3e, and they both liked 13th Age.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If they allow heavy armor casting after a single Fighter level, I'm guessing combat classes have a similar power curve as spell casters. That would give the game a modified 3e/4e feel and could doubtfully capture the magic of AD&D. I don't know, but rolling ability scores and having different kinds of classes gave AD&D a unique feel. "Let's just remove restrictions and make everybody badass at all levels" stinks. It's too sanitary and homogenized. Fuck those losers, because tranny tiefling Priest/ Rogue is the new 18/100, and Salvatore is the new Tolkien.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick to DCC RPG and Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea for my D&D games and just steal the advantage/disadvantage thing. No big loss.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're not stealing advantage/ disadvantage. People have used that forever. Don't give those bastards any credit.

Edit: Here is a PDF from 3 years ago with that rule, but we used it several years before then. pg 6 basic mechanic.

Attachments

• Outlands.pdf
    112.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I like me the basic PDF well enough, but the more I see revealed in the "advanced" books the less impressed I am. At least not impressed enough to spend $100+ on core books. Maybe down the line I'll feel differently.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The careers available in the base game have been revealed. Each job branches out into two paths.

Entertainer: Musician/Comedian
Writer: Author/Journalist
Painter: Master of the Real/Patron of the Arts
Secret Agent: Diamond Agent/Villain
Criminal: Boss/Oracle
Astronomer: Space Ranger/Smuggler
Culinary: Chef/Mixologist
Tech Guru: eSport Gamer/Start-up Entrepeneur

Seems like they're really focusing on the weird/awsum/extreeeeme angle here. You're SOL if you want to make a normal family where dad works in an office and mom at the hospital.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Apparently magic items, aside from potions and maybe scrolls, can't be bought or sold in 5e, for...some reason. This strikes me as a really, really bad idea. Once you've got the best mundane armor you can wear, all the money you get basically becomes worthless. Demand for even a +1 weapon is so high that no NPC will ever sell one, but so low that no NPC will ever buy one. What the fuck were they thinking?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Apparently magic items, aside from potions and maybe scrolls, can't be bought or sold in 5e, for...some reason. This strikes me as a really, really bad idea. Once you've got the best mundane armor you can wear, all the money you get basically becomes worthless. Demand for even a +1 weapon is so high that no NPC will ever sell one, but so low that no NPC will ever buy one. What the fuck were they thinking?

Save up for that stronghold I guess?

Alchemist

Arcane
There's always whores to spend it on too.

But seriously, it seems to me the availability of magic items should be campaign / DM-specific anyway. Some campaigns are low magic, where this makes perfect sense. Just house-rule it the way you want.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait what? This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Are you sure this isn't being exaggerated in some way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom