Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

nikolokolus

Arcane
It is sad, because they had a great thing with 4e
:nocountryforshitposters:
There is nothing about 4e that isn't shit.

I think 4E would be more fondly remembered if they had released a turn-based CRPG using the rule set. It offered a lot of interesting tactical considerations in combat that were kind of a PITA to keep track of in a PnP session but would be awesome with a computer to handle it all.

Pretty much. There was a 4e game I played in off and on for a couple of years that eventually went into epic levels. It wasn't unusual for a bog standard combat to last 2 hours or more. For somebody who actually enjoys the roleplay bits and exploration outside of combat it turned the game into a major slog for me and sapped any enthusiasm I might have had for it (which was never great to begin with).

The other thing that really annoyed me is that it basically homogenized the hell out of all of the classes. Fighters with daily, encounter and at-will powers were essentially no different than magic-users, rogues, or whatever else - the fluff text was different, but the way they "felt" in combat was almost indistinguishable. I know they were trying to "fix" a perceived problem with fight-y types being boring compared to other classes, but that was always part of the appeal of the older editions; you picked a class with tradeoffs in mind: You might choose to play a fighter because they were easier to survive with at low levels and they weren't as fiddly to deal with, but you had the knowledge that your "power curve" was going to be flatter than a magic-user who somehow survived long enough to start casting fireballs and fly.

Alchemist

Arcane
It is sad, because they had a great thing with 4e
:nocountryforshitposters:
There is nothing about 4e that isn't shit.

I think 4E would be more fondly remembered if they had released a turn-based CRPG using the rule set. It offered a lot of interesting tactical considerations in combat that were kind of a PITA to keep track of in a PnP session but would be awesome with a computer to handle it all.
The closest thing they had to that was the Heroes of Neverwinter 4E-based Facebook game which was turn-based, tactical and eventually cancelled - because Facebook.
9FKGRt4.jpg

If only they had developed it for a real gaming platform, and with a bit more depth, it could have gone somewhere.

I felt that 4E was an alright tactical minis skirmish game - but not a good D&D game.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
That's the great irony of Fourth Edition. It was designed to be like a video game, but was never turned into one.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's the great irony of Fourth Edition. It was designed to be like a video game, but was never turned into one.

Amen.

primordial

Literate
I wish they released the core rulebooks without useless fluff and art. I'd be quite content with just purely the mechanics.

It was turned into Neverwinter, an MMORPG. Though it barely resembles the 4e system.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Monsters from Legacy of the Crystal shard playtest adventure converted to 5e

http://t.co/X1EmJOCudk

Click the link, it will download the pdf.

They look ok, kind of a mix of 4e and 3e stat blocks. That's cool, I really liked the 4e method of monster stats. Unfortunately, they have reverted to the 3e and prior habit of giving some monsters and enemies PC class spells, which really sucks and reeks of lazy design.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I wish they released the core rulebooks without useless fluff and art. I'd be quite content with just purely the mechanics.
That's what 3e did with the SRD, and it became the most successful PNP RPG in the world. Then Pathfinder did the same thing, and it became the most successful PNP RPG in the world. You'd think that having a 1:1 ratio with being the most successful PNP RPG in the world would be a good endorsement for having an SRD in the new edition, but then you'd be smarter than the suits at Hasbro.

Unfortunately, they have reverted to the 3e and prior habit of giving some monsters and enemies PC class spells, which really sucks and reeks of lazy design.
I emphatically disagree. Writing up a new description for every ability a monster has would waste a huge amount of space, and it would be a lot harder to remember what everything does. Keep in mind that some monsters have dozens of spell-like-abilities - why write up new abilities if they do the same thing as existing spells?

Last edited:

primordial

Literate
That's what 3e did with the SRD, and it became the most successful PNP RPG in the world. Then Pathfinder did the same thing, and it became the most successful PNP RPG in the world. You'd think that having a 1:1 ratio with being the most successful PNP RPG in the world would be a good endorsement for having an SRD in the new edition, but then you'd be smarter than the suits at Hasbro.

Yeah, it did, but I don't think anyone compiled the SRD in a well designed, nicely stylized book. We had some mediocre products like the Mongoose Player's Handbook which was a softcover and black and white. I really dislike reading black text on a white background and gray charts. I like the Basic D&D style, the light brown parchment with the font styles and color charts makes it really easy to read and I honestly don't miss the art. I think the only place I would miss the art would be the Monster Manual.

nikolokolus

Arcane
What faggotry is this?

Everybody knows there's only one real dice bag for the gamer of discerning taste
Crown-Royal-Black.jpg

primordial

Literate
That is not a review. It is a boring description of what the book looks like. I doubt he even read the book.

It has multiple parts and is still ongoing. Of course, that aside, he is obviously not really reading the book and his comments are uninformed at best. His commentary on mounted combat in part 2 was "Oh, mounted combat has made a return. Joy." Real in depth and fascinating commentary, he will probably win a Pulitzer for this magnificent work. I am not certain if it is because of a lack of intelligence in general or he just can't be bothered with doing a fully knowledgeable review. In either case he probably shouldn't be reviewing the book.

J1M

Arcane
That is not a review. It is a boring description of what the book looks like. I doubt he even read the book.

It has multiple parts and is still ongoing. Of course, that aside, he is obviously not really reading the book and his comments are uninformed at best. His commentary on mounted combat in part 2 was "Oh, mounted combat has made a return. Joy." Real in depth and fascinating commentary, he will probably win a Pulitzer for this magnificent work. I am not certain if it is because of a lack of intelligence in general or he just can't be bothered with doing a fully knowledgeable review. In either case he probably shouldn't be reviewing the book.
It is click-bait. The content never mattered. Let's discuss something else.

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah the reviews on that site (even the multi-part rules discussion) are amateurish and lacking in depth. I'll wait for reviews from more trusted and professional sources.

Alchemist

Arcane
That's awesome that they included Gygax's original Appendix N. Might be quite eye-opening for some of the younger players. Bonus points for adding Clark Ashton Smith and China Miéville.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I see The Book of the New Sun is on there too.
:thumbsup:
Strange that they only list one Clark Ashton Smith story, though, since so many of his works seem more d&d-ish. Also, where the fuck is Joe Abercrombie?
:x

Alchemist

Arcane
Strange that they only list one Clark Ashton Smith story, though, since so many of his works seem more d&d-ish. Also, where the fuck is Joe Abercrombie?
:x
I think they meant the Return of the Sorcerer "best of" compilation book which includes a large selection of his short stories. But yeah, would've been nice if they clarified that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom