Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Gyor

Savant
Aasimar, Orcs, and Goliaths confirmed for 5.75e PHB.

Graycock, er Grayhawk & Bastions confirmed for5.75e DMG.

Your mom aka Archhag and Your Dad aka Blob of Annihilation confirmed for 5.75e MM.

Sacibengala

Prophet

Your mom aka Archhag and Your Dad aka Blob of Annihilation confirmed for 5.75e MM.
"The less intelligent players who demand to play monster characters
regardless of obvious consequences will soon remove themselves from play in
any event, for their own ineptness will serve to have players or monsters or
traps finish them off" (Gygax, Gary; 1979; DMG, pag. 21.)

Alex

Arcane
5.75? Was there a 5.5? Is there anyone who wants to re-buy the three basic books? I thought that flew in 3e because people who cared about balancing were very excited about the supposed fixes; and besides all splatbooks from then on would reference the new rules. 5e relies a lot less on splat books, and I don't imagine there is a whole lot of people looking forward getting the same three books with with some slightly different material.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Well Orks, Goblins, Kobolds had level restrictions. For obvious reasons.

deuxhero

Arcane
5.75? Was there a 5.5? Is there anyone who wants to re-buy the three basic books? I thought that flew in 3e because people who cared about balancing were very excited about the supposed fixes; and besides all splatbooks from then on would reference the new rules. 5e relies a lot less on splat books, and I don't imagine there is a whole lot of people looking forward getting the same three books with with some slightly different material.
I think 5.5 was the retconned character creation rules that removed racial bonuses.

J1M

Arcane
Referring to the 2024 books with a version number is a disparaging dig at their 6e and fully compatible flip-flopping. And somehow they failed to achieve either.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I think 5.5 was the retconned character creation rules that removed racial bonuses.
The revised edition of Pathfinder 2e went beyond so that of all the core races only humans and orcs don't get negative attribute modifiers, the former because they're the genric dudes and the second because it'd be racist.

Gyor

Savant

I concider Tasha's 5.5e as it killed off the PHB+1 rule that had appeared in AL and Xanathars.

And the difference are as major as compatiblity allows.

Gyor

Savant

Orcs aren't seen as "Monster" race anymore, admittedly for stupid reasons rescently, although the roots of that go back to 2e. And Half Orc in past PHBs watered that down already, prepared the way.

Aasimar and Goliaths were designed for Players, not as primary monsters, since they were first created, so not monsters at all, no adventures feature them as major and plentiful monsters.

Hagashager

Educated
On a philosophical level I don't have a problem with Player-Character Orcs or Goblins. Being an Elder Scrolls kid, it's not unusual to me. It's the same as my not having a problem with magic wheelchairs (though ADA compliant dungeons are incredibly, offensively stupid).

It's the logic behind it that is so bizarre to me. It says a lot about these nerds that they would equate Orcs to Black People. Frankly though, I don't buy it as good faith. I think most of these kids can't separate their hobbie from real life and need to pretend that hobby is somehow relevant and germain to real life problems.

thesecret1

Arcane
Orcs being niggers has been popularized by the likes of Warcraft, with subsequent writers painting orcs as such from the very outset. The typical focal points are orcs being the "noble savage" trope that have been enslaved by humans (something presented as a great injustice) and subsequently broke their chains. It's literally the same narrative as libshits have for niggers.

Sweeper

Arcane
What's particularly funny to me is how a monstrous species that's inherently evil and is hellbent on destruction stemming from their inability to create anything of value went to being black people.
I'm pretty sure liberals are way more racist than I am (unfortunately).

>Black people are literally too stupid to look after themselves (but it's because of systematic oppression)

Alex

Arcane
Orcs being niggers has been popularized by the likes of Warcraft, with subsequent writers painting orcs as such from the very outset. The typical focal points are orcs being the "noble savage" trope that have been enslaved by humans (something presented as a great injustice) and subsequently broke their chains. It's literally the same narrative as libshits have for niggers.
By "the very outset"… you mean the very outset of Warcraft 3, right? This bull wasn't in two unless you count the trolls, and even then it wasn't that overt, and it really wasn't present at all in the first game.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
By "the very outset"… you mean the very outset of Warcraft 3, right? This bull wasn't in two unless you count the trolls, and even then it wasn't that overt, and it really wasn't present at all I. The first game.
Yeah, warcraft 3, followed by WoW. Prior games don't matter since they never got nearly as large an audience. You can see that shit seeping into TES and nu-HoMM too, and probably many others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

AshenNedra

Educated
What's particularly funny to me is how a monstrous species that's inherently evil and is hellbent on destruction stemming from their inability to create anything of value went to being black people.
I'm pretty sure liberals are way more racist than I am (unfortunately).

>Black people are literally too stupid to look after themselves (but it's because of systematic oppression)

Oh they are, they definitely are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom