Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D5e is coming.

deuxhero

Arcane
^^ 4E fine, but Eberron? First really original setting in a decade.

Now that it's officia, WotC needs to rehire Rich Baker (ToB, MoI, RHoD) after firing him last month.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What I'd really like to see in a new edition of D&D is something akin D20 modern or KotOR1. Which is to say, instead of starting out as wizards/jedi/Bruce Li/swamp thing, all characters start out as relatively pedestrian soldiers, scholars, thieves, craftsmen and the like and only later developed into magical beings of one sort or the other.
Like the Warhammer RPG's?

deus101

It's kinda strange, that for all the talk of D&D 4E being too similar to video games, there hasn't been a single worthwhile CRPG released based on it. Games based 1st, 2nd and 3rd ed all have their place among classic PC games...

Daggerfall? :smug:

*There should be a merge posts option...sorry*

PorkaMorka

Arcane
^^ 4E fine, but Eberron? First really original setting in a decade.
23wtd8z.jpg
243hro9.png

These were core races.

Trannies and Gentlemen, I rest my case.

deus101

Ehm...those "cyborgs" in ebberon is a PC RACE? ....What kinda classes are we looking at here?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Ehm...those "cyborgs" in ebberon is a PC RACE? ....
Yes.

The Eberron Campaign Setting introduced four new player races: the warforged, the shifters, the changelings and the kalashtar. Two other playable races were later added in the Magic of Eberron supplement: The Psiforged, and the Daelkyr Half-Blood.

What kinda classes are we looking at here?
Any. Robot Paladins and Clerics gogogogogo.

Like other races, warforged may take levels in any character class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Eberron#Warforged

deus101

So...a walking tank forged in industrious fires and implanted with a human brain can be a ....druid.

deuxhero

Arcane
23wtd8z.jpg
243hro9.png

These were core races.

Trannies and Gentlemen, I rest my case.

No, only the dood on the left is (guys on the right are a 4E race), and it isn't even a standard Warforged but a psionic variant from some splat book (Go ahead and mock the Psionc rules for their crystal fetish and I'll agree that part is dumb, but Eberron's not the one responsible for it).

This is baseline Warforged

Warforged%20001_qjpreviewth.jpg

They were made as slave soldiers to fight fantasy hybrid of World War 1 and the Hundred Years' War by a production focused megacorparation. They also don't wangst about freedom because they alreddy have it (the war ending treaty gave it to them to keep them from being a massive standing army).

Way cooler than more Tolkien plagiarism

Also very nice mechanically. While their stats are iffy (+2 con, -2 wis -2 cha), they retain most construct immunitie like no breathing (which is bigger than you would expect with a good number of very powerful spells being breath based like Stinking Cloud), no exhaustion/need for sleep and have some defense against critical hits plus they get free armor. Great given how race selection normally goes
"Do you need a specific race for qualifications?
Yes: Pick that one
No: Do you need to use a weapon?
* Yes: Human
* No:Strongheart Halfling

Also Cyborg=Augmented human. Warforged have no humanities.

deuxhero

Arcane
Ehm...those "cyborgs" in ebberon is a PC RACE? ....What kinda classes are we looking at here?

Quite a good variety actually. Most obvious are melee types, but neutral inteligence and their immunities (laugh at the squishies as you dump a stinking cloud on top of yourself) and odd healing (half healing from divine magic, full healing from a line of wizard spells) can make good wizards, also common among Warforged are "artificers", an Eberron class the cranks out magic items. Psionic Warforged have some support and their neutral int also helps them there.

Also unique is that there are some noticeable presence for roles they are good at, rather than the shoehorning sterotyping most D&D races get. Despite their wisdom penalty (though strict reading of the rules gives some odd abilities to Warforge that shapeshift), Warforged Druids have at least one sect of their own (dedicated to finding a way to heal one magically fucked up county) and are growing presences in the various other traditions. Monks are no more terrible (though still terrible because it is Monk) at Monks than most stuff, with their innate armor not interfering with the stupid "no armor" restriction and being able to enchant their unarmed strikes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Ironically, 4th edition rules would be tougher than previous editions to make into a game because of how most abilities work. Or, I should say: It would be tougher to make into a REAL-TIME game because of how most abilities work.

Sorry, D&D is dead to me after 4th edition and Eberron. It's all well and good to experiment with different ideas for designing a game, but ruining a franchise dating back to the 70s isn't the way to do it. They should have maintained some continuity with previous versions of D&D and put their healing surges in some other game.
lol

If 5th edition is a good system I'm gonna play it. Why the fuck would I ditch a fantastic 5th because they make a shit fourth? :retarded:

I'm not saying 5th will be good (for all we know it will be crap) but ignoring a great 5th because you're offended about a previous product seems counter-productive.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
First really original setting in a decade.

lol

it's as all other high fantasy settings; there's no possibility-sealing, magic is a-plenty, and the themes are the same. Just because it has a slight jungle-theme combined with some steam-punk doesn't make it "original." Planescape was original and even it was mostly stuck in high fantasy clichés. Eberron is just as stock as any high fantasy setting.

WotC needs to rehire Rich Baker (ToB)

o_O

Baker was behind some of the better supplements to Forgotten Realms as well as the excellent core setting and player's guide, so why highlight that turd?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
If 5th edition is a good system I'm gonna play it. Why the fuck would I ditch a fantastic 5th because they make a shit fourth? :retarded:

I'm not saying 5th will be good (for all we know it will be crap) but ignoring a great 5th because you're offended about a previous product seems counter-productive.

At some point you have to give up on a franchise and stop paying attention to it just based on the name. I used to be a Fallout fan, but Fallout is dead to me now, as it is in different hands and has been changed into something that does not resemble the games I liked. I used to be a D&D fan, but after 4th edition, Dungeons and Dragons is dead to me, as it has been changed into something that no longer resembles the games I liked. Luckily, while Dungeons and Dragons is just a name used to market some other games, aspects of D&D live on in the form of Pathfinder.

I guess what I mean is that D&D the brand is dead to me, but D&D the game will live on in a) my heart b) the OSR and c) Pathfinder. If 5th edition is good I might play it someday, but I probably won't find out about it unless someone posts a thread on the Codex.

kris

Arcane
Bros I can't lie here, I haven't played PnP Dungeons and Dragons since 1st ed (I started playing Rolemaster, WORST FUCKING RPG EVER BTW and did not get back into DnD sadly), but the stuff I heard about 4e really did sound terrible. Just wondering, was there really a lot of backlash against 4e? I'd like to believe this is the case and that goodness triumphs over tardedness, but it's hard to believe without some assurance from you bros...

I was always the Rolemaster defender since I played it so much. Have we had this conversation before? Anyway, why?

deus101

NVRMIND i suck cocks.

Offcourse i meant the atrocious Daggerdale game not Daggerfall.

Not actually a D&D game, it just rips off some of the nomenclature, doesn't use the game system. It is nowhere near beingworthwhile either. :obviously:

thats the joke.

Harold

Arcane
lolz, eberron is so original, it's totally not heavily ripped off from Magic: The Gathering, I mean the art, names and abilities of those creatures are nothing like what you can find in current MtG, seriously

deus101

Ehm...havent MTG
lolz, eberron is so original, it's totally not heavily ripped off from Magic: The Gathering, I mean the art, names and abilities of those creatures are nothing like what you can find in current MtG, seriously
ripped of everyone?

I mean, there is a mytological reference to every corner of the globe.

deuxhero

Arcane
lol

it's as all other high fantasy settings; there's no possibility-sealing, magic is a-plenty, and the themes are the same. Just because it has a slight jungle-theme combined with some steam-punk doesn't make it "original." Planescape was original and even it was mostly stuck in high fantasy clichés. Eberron is just as stock as any high fantasy setting.

Except unlike the other settings, magic actually has an impact everyday life instead of "Elmisue is a great and powerful wizard, he has adventures while everyone lives in shanty houses".

When did I say Planescape wasn't original? It and Spelljamer are both over a decade old, hence "first in a decade".

Also lol at the ToB comment.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The shit part about ebberon is that none of the ideas really blended well together. You had magic as technology which is great, except magic was also still some esoteric vancian system. It was also action pack Saturday afternoon Hercules episodes mixed with gothic horror. People like ebberon for its derpiness. Dragonball had less derp than Ebberon. I'll always prefer 2nd edition, since it blended traditional levels + loot with storyfaginess and kept things relatively simple while doing so. Other games I've played fall short in one area or the other. I also vote Grunker as lead designer for Kodex D&D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom