Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA Is BIO's Highest Selling game? I dunno about that....

Project: Eternity
Muzyka and Zeschuk are the brains behind an already vast portfolio of iconic video games titles, including Baldur’s Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, MDK, Dragon Age, Mass Effect and, of course, its 6.6 million-selling sequel Mass Effect 2, which was released earlier this year.

Interesting, but where did you get 3.2 million for DA?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Various links and stuff that people were using to 'prove' that DA was BIO's most successful game. I'm sure some links can be found on the Codex in a thread where I was called 'dumb' and 'ignorant' for claiming ME2 was more successful.

ME2 didn't justb sellm more.. it more than doubled BIO's previous top sellers crushing them. And, that's all in its first year.

Dantus12

Educated
I was sure that it sold more, around 3.7 mil.

Platforms:

PC-PS3-360-Mac

vs

ME

PC-360 with a lackluster PS3 port for ME2 a year later.

DAO did well.
That's why everything that made sense in that game is removed to reach a 10 mil mark.

easychord

Liturgist
That seems somewhat ambiguous to me. Not exactly a report straight from the EA accounting department.

I can only guess what they sold or check vgchartz, which is about the same as guessing.

Black

Arcane
DA franchise is the most discussed franchise on The Codex.

ME2 selling more than DA:O always made more sense as it's much more of a crowd pleaser, and the way they went about DA2 sure reflects it.

It's not just about sales figures though, even if DA:O had managed to outsell ME2 I bet it wouldn't have been as profitable because of its huge production time.

And ME3 is going to be done in half the time ME2 took(possibly costing only a fraction) and will probably sell even more, filthy money.

Dantus12

Educated
This was a nice idea, look at the date of the article- lol

Wed, Apr 14, 2010 | 18:23 BST

ME2 sold more than shipped within 3 months from release.

catfood

AGAIN
Muzyka and Zeschuk are the brains behind an already vast portfolio of iconic video games titles, including Baldur’s Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, MDK, Dragon Age, Mass Effect and, of course, its 6.6 million-selling sequel Mass Effect 2, which was released earlier this year.

:x

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vgchartz claims, that Mass Effect 2 sold about 2,6 million copies worldwide on XBOX360 alone. Granted, Dragon Age only sold 2 million copies on the same platform, but i have a hard time believing the other 2 platforms (which aren't exactly home turfs for Mass Effect 2) have made such a huge difference. If anything i'd believe Dragon Age doing a lot better on PC than Mass Effect 2 for example.

MajorNova

Novice
catfood said:

MDK2 was worse sequel than DA2 :M

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tolknaz said:
Vgchartz claims, that Mass Effect 2 sold about 2,6 million copies worldwide on XBOX360 alone. Granted, Dragon Age only sold 2 million copies on the same platform, but i have a hard time believing the other 2 platforms (which aren't exactly home turfs for Mass Effect 2) have made such a huge difference. If anything i'd believe Dragon Age doing a lot better on PC than Mass Effect 2 for example.

Yeah, but the thing about vgchartz is that they have an interesting method for calculating sales. That method basically involves making up numbers and putting them on a website.

Black

Arcane
MajorNova said:

MDK2, if nothing else, at least had some good music.
da2 has... dragon wannabes and hunger.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Xor said:
Tolknaz said:

Yeah, but the thing about vgchartz is that they have an interesting method for calculating sales. That method basically involves making up numbers and putting them on a website.
It's still more reliable source than these which Volourn used in his post. Not by far, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Black said:

And this is the most butthurt statement on the Codex.

It's not really odd that we discuss the best-selling RPGs on the Codex, is it? The fact that some are shit just makes it easier to fill out a thread of 20 pages. I noticed you rarely show up in a thread if it's not to bash on, for example, DA, so what's your problem?

Captain Shrek

Was volourn's butt hurt much because of something? I think the reason may be this:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MajorNova said:
catfood said:

HAAHAHAHA. Hell no.

catfood

AGAIN
J_C said:
MajorNova said:
catfood said:

HAAHAHAHA. Hell no.

Depends on the perspective. MDK1 was fucking awesome, while MDK2 was just mediocre. I haven't played DAO or DA2 but I don't think there's such a big difference between them. So, yes, you might say MDK2 is the worse sequel when you compare it to its original. :P

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
catfood said:
J_C said:
MajorNova said:
catfood said:

HAAHAHAHA. Hell no.

Depends on the perspective. MDK1 was fucking awesome, while MDK2 was just mediocre. I haven't played DAO or DA2 but I don't think there's such a big difference between them. So, yes, you might say MDK2 is the worse sequel when you compare it to its original. :P
It might be a slightly worse sequel, but MajorNova said that it was a worse sequel than DA2. Which is rediculous, since DA2 is an awful sequel.

Black

Arcane
Grunker said:
Black said:

It's not really odd that we discuss the best-selling RPGs on the Codex, is it? The fact that some are shit just makes it easier to fill out a thread of 20 pages. I noticed you rarely show up in a thread if it's not to bash on, for example, DA, so what's your problem?

I merely posted a fact, does that bring a degree of pain to your rectum? :smug:
And I would LOVE to praise da2 but... I've got nothing!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Black said:
Grunker said:
Black said:

I merely posted a fact, does that bring a degree of pain to your rectum? :smug:
And I would LOVE to praise da2 but... I've got nothing!

I think there's something loose in your capability to read. I said the Codex discusses it because there is a lot to bash. Why do you suddenly bring up praising it?

Black

Arcane
Sorry, sorry, I've been reading DA2 reviews, impressions and bioware forums too much today and it's starting to show.
But anyway, Grunker, I have a feeling we're about to...
BECOME VERY CLOSE
da2stateoftheart.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom