Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daggerfall is totally awesome

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Character creation system was also fun. Broken and easy to abuse (but on the plus side, also easy to manipulate to make the game more challenging to you, slow leveling speed etc), but entertaining to play around with.

And dat atmosphere.

Actually wouldn't it be harder to level faster? Because of level scaling and stuff.

The level scaling only really applies to encounters, and you can still bump into Ancient Vampires as low as Level 6, and that's ignoring the pre-placed ones in main quest dungeons. Certain dungeon types will also kick your ass at a low level. Even at Level 3, I had a nightmarish experience going through an Orc Stronghold where the game would spawn Shamans whenever I rested in an attempt to completely fuck me up. Vampire Haunts are similarly nightmarish for obvious reasons. So levelling quickly means that you have quicker access to better gear due to random drop rates etc. and the difficulty of dungeons arguably declines as you get better gear, even though you encounter more dangerous enemies.

Actually that's true, the stat gain break the game if invested on speed. Though low level locks you out of main quests so that kinda sucks.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Hell yeah, looks I totally bugged the main quest.

I dealt with Lysandus spirit, missed Helseth subplot and kill werewolf for Cyndassa. Now I should get quest from Mynisera (The Emperor's Courier, as UESP specifies) to move along main plot, but Mynisera have no quest for me. What the fuck? Am I really unable to complete Daggerfall main quest now? Fuck, I hate those annoying bugs

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Has OP made it to Morrowind and been disappointed by the fact that cookie cutter NPCs and quests made it through to the sequel, but procedural content didn't?

Though even that is miles above Oblivion.

edit:
Skyrim and Oblivion haven't been able to replicate this experience. The saddest part is that Bethesda doesn't even try.
Todd called ia lot of content in Daggerfall "procedural garbage" and specifically refused to try to replicate it. Though I suspect he just didn't have the capability.
Comparison between Daggerfall and Morrowind isn't as easy. Morrowind doesn't have secret doors, elevators, switches (IIRC) and the dungeons don't require nearly as much thinking. However, its much more advanced technology allows it to use elevated surfaces and underwater areas better to create SECRET AREAS.
Daggerfall had underwater areas and elevated surfaces too.

Also, you could own your own home and even a ship. They mainly served as areas to stash loot in, but it was enjoyable at the time.

Also, consider that you didn't play Morrowind after Todd and co had promised the moon and delivered a lump of cheese. Originally, stilt riders were supposed to jump through the skies, you were supposed to be able to ride a gondola through the canals of Vivec city, quests were supposed to be extremely interactive and the Fargoth quest was used as a just a small example, even though it was actually one of the most complexly scripted quests in the game by comparison.

Instead we got a world that felt even more dull and lifeless than the one filled with "procedural crap".

Last edited by a moderator:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Resurrecting this thread just to drop this video on everyone. This is the guy who runs the Ancient DOS Games videos, and in this one he is covering spell effects in Daggerfall. I found it an interesting look under the hood. Now I know why my Chameleon spell never really worked the way I thought it should:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Everything he says is true.
Daggerfall is about the vision though. No game has ever been so ambitious.
Dare we hope the new project pays out?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah it true. If more companies were as bold as Beth was in those days, the medium wouldn't be as stagnated as it has.
But usually the best games are those the devs know exactly what the game should be (their focus and limitations) and commit to that vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom