Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dark Quest 2 - turn-based RPG inspired by Hero Quest

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Simple as fuck.
Same as the first, then.
Yeah, but still enjoyable for some quick in-between runs, or while you're playing Civ and waiting for those slow ass friends of yours to do their turn :lol:
If you really watch the video of the game and look at some screenshots, and still expect the deepest turn-based RPG experience, it's your own fault if that aspect disappoints you.

One thing is absolutely offensive, though:
The UI and controls.

No hotkeys.
No minimap.
Map does not open focused on your location.
Every second menu is drag-and-drop instead of just clicking.
Characters block anything to the top-left of them, making clicking there a hassle.
You have to exit an area by moving every member of your group to the exit manually, instead of just one.
When moving, characters don't stop in front of traps they just discovered, they just walk right on to them.
And I could go on.

Fucking hell... I actually went ahead and wrote a full-fledged Steam review.
I probably spent more time writing the review than playing the game, but these things couldn't be left unsaid.
Review might give you more amusement than the actual game. :lol:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968907104/recommended/453690

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I've been playing this on the PS4 and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Yes, it doesn't have Temple of Elemental Evil level tactical choices available, but it still has fun turn-based combat that plays fairly quickly.

I played through Warhammer Quest 2 recently, and I think this might be better. The sprite-based graphics certainly have more charm to them, anyway.

Dark-Quest-2-Review-Xbox-1.jpeg

Also, at least on the PS4 version, this complaint has been addressed:
When moving, characters don't stop in front of traps they just discovered, they just walk right on to them.

Your characters definitely walk around traps that have been identified.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Dark Quest 2 - the greatest turn-based RPG the world has ever seen
Ignoring the implications of how few posts this topic has, do people seriously think that Heroquest is anything approaching the greatest RPG of all time? Fun, yes, but the greatest?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The first one is garbage, because of the sluggish tile movement and in combat, you can only move 1 tile forward.

I'm not sure if the second one changed it, the trailer only shows 1 tile combat moves to hit nearby opponents so i'm guessing it didn't change.
The movement gets tiring fast.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Okay, I managed to beat this today.

I really like this game, overall. It's just a good, old-fashioned dungeon romp. There's enough different loot and skills to make character building fun for at least a single play-through.

My main party ended up being the Dwarf, the Knight, and the Dark Monk.

Give the Dwarf the Plate Armor to boost his Defence and the Traveler's Boots to boost his movement. Then he can run ahead, looking for traps (an essential ability in this game) and drawing aggro. You want him drawing aggro because he's the best tank you have. With his Deflect skill leveled up, he's immune to arrows and with his Counter Bash skill maxed out, he will be stunning most melee enemies that attempt to attack him.

The Knight is your healer/buffer/debuffer. On top of that, her Break Magic skill will let her slaughter enemy mages. All of her skills are worthwhile. For equipment, I gave her the Chainmail to boost her Defence and the Bastard Sword to boost her attack.

The Dark Monk is perhaps my favorite character, though. His Dark Fate skill will one-shot almost any enemy in the game. His Friends From the Past skill will temporarily add almost any enemy to your party. And his Armageddon skill will wipe out an entire room of low HP enemies. On top of that, he has excellent defenses and the Teleport Staff gives him the best mobility of any character. His two downsides are the fact that he can only carry a single potion (everyone else can carry two) and his low HP. The later, though, can be offset by giving him the Pendant of Life.

The Barbarian is pretty good, but a bit one-dimensional. He's basically only good at dealing single-target melee damage. Which can be useful, a lot of the time, but not as useful as the Dwarf/Knight/Dark Monk, who are good at multiple things. That being said, the Barbarian was essential to my strategy of beating the final boss. What was my strategy? Well:

The Barbarian has a skill called Man to Man which, when used, stops the game and locks him into combat with an enemy. The Barbarian and the enemy will trade blows until one or the other of them is dead. This skill makes beating the final boss fairly easy. This is because one of the main annoyances of the final boss is that he will frequently evade your party's attacks and then counter attack with magic. This can whittle down your party's HP quickly. When the Barbarian locks him into Man to Man, though, this seems to disable the boss' ability to evade, so you can consistently damage him. This strategy works best if you use some of the Knight's skills, too. She has one skill called Divine Shield which she can cast on a party member that will protect them from up to 9 points of damage. Cast this on the Barbarian to help him outlast the boss (remember, once the Barbarian activates Man to Man, your other party members can't do anything until either the Barbarian or the enemy is dead, so the Knight won't be able to heal the Barbarian). The Knight also has a skill called Sacrifice which, when maxed out, will fully a heal a party member when the Knight dies. When the final boss attacks, he attacks multiple party members. So, when he's locked in Man to Man with the Barbarian, he will be damaging the whole party. So, if the final boss manages to kill the Knight, that will just fully heal the Barbarian and, again, help him to outlast the final boss. Giving the Barbarian the Pendant of Life to boost his health and the Amulet of Fate (essentially more free HP), also helps this strategy.

The Wizard I didn't use too much. I might have used him more if I had realized earlier that, despite its description, the Potion of Refresh reloads *all* one-use abilities, not just one of them. The Wizard has a ton of single-use abilities, so knowing that I could have gotten three uses per dungeon instead of one would have made him more appealing.

When I did use the Wizard, it was mostly in some of the longer dungeons. There is one dungeon in particular that takes forever to explore and will quickly wear down your party with the constant combat. However, with the right party, you can avoid most of the fights. I used the Dwarf (must have the Traveler's Boots to max out his movement), the Wizard (must have the Teleport Staff), and the Dark Monk (must have his Swap skill maxed out). Enemies are rarely packed close together, so, with the Traveler's Boots, the Dwarf can just weave through them and walk out of the room. The Wizard can use the Teleport Staff to teleport to the room's exit and walk out. The tricky one is the Dark Monk. His Swap skill lets him switch places on the map with an enemy. *Generally*, there should be an enemy standing close enough to the exit that the Dark Monk can swap places with that enemy and then walk out. This doesn't always work, but the Dark Monk's defenses are good enough that he can survive being stuck in a room with a bunch of annoyed enemies for a single turn.

The Archer I don't think I used even once. She was the last character I unlocked, and, when I did finally unlock her, it seemed like most of her skills were useless. She can detect traps like the Dwarf, but she has crappy defenses, so you don't really want her scouting ahead and drawing aggro. She has a ranged attack (obviously), but it seems pretty low damage. She can heal, but any character can just use a Divine Potion which is better. She has an AoE, but it's limited in uses and is very weak. Maybe she's great, but, on paper, she sure doesn't look it.

Anyway, I guess I ended up writing more than I intended! Hopefully, this will be of use to someone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom