Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Declinator

Arbiter
Demon's Souls is certainly the hardest game in the series, at least regarding the areas. There's nothing in Dark Souls 1 & 2 that can compare to the second half of most Archstones.

I borrowed by DeS to a friend who beated DS1 & 2, he gave up on 4-2, with those skeletons in a cliff and the dark cavern full of insta-rape.

I'd say that Demon's Souls has the easiest areas in the series. How difficult one perceives them to be probably depends heavily on playstyle. Shrine of Storms was the most difficult world in Demon's Souls for me too (though I didn't die even once in "the dark cavern full of insta-rape") but it didn't even register in comparison to something like Blighttown, Tomb of the Giants, or Anor Londo.

Shrine of Amana in Dark Souls 2 was pretty damn frustrating the first time through because I had absolutely no way to attack from afar but for archers or magic casters the area presents no problems. If DLCs count the Crown of the Old Iron King had areas that I didn't even bother properly beating and instead I just ran through though I'm not sure how properly leveled or equipped I was.

praetor

Arcane
DeS is hard in relation to everything else. It also used to have interesting adventure elements, until they were wiped away by dudebro buttfuckery in DaS 1&2.

and what would these mystical "adventure elements" (that were removed by later incarnations) be? be specific, not this vague bullshittery (if you say the tendencies, those were good ideas at heart that had absolutely horrible execution)

Demon's Souls is certainly the hardest game in the series, at least regarding the areas. There's nothing in Dark Souls 1 & 2 that can compare to the second half of most Archstones.

what? 1-3 the only hard part is the red eye knight ganksquad (remember, the accusation most often levelled at DaS2, lol), that you can lure 1 by 1 anyway (and they pose no threat that way by the time you get there), the rest is the same easy "poiseless stunlock"/"circlestrafe backstab" game, mechanically significantly easier than the sequels (lets not even get into the healing mechanics...)

1-4 only has the bullshittery of the dragon and the initial red phantom ganksquad (probably the cheapest, most obnoxious gank in the entire series)

2-2 hard? are your serious? other than the overrated Flamelurker that is entirely shut down by the PFS, what the hell was hard in 2-2? not even the red phantoms there pose any threat..

3-2 again, the only hard part is the cheap shit: black phantom mindflayers that pretty much one-shot you (the one on the spiral stairway in particular being especially cheap and dumb), the rest is trivial or at most annoying

4-2 is the only legitimately difficult one thanks to the reapers and their respawning minions and there not being essentially any shortcut... but it becomes pretty easy if you memorize where those cunts are and act accordingly (if you just rush and don't understand how they work it's your own fault). skelllies are pretty easy (they attack so slow they're trivial to backstab/attack safely), never understood how people have trouble with them

5-2 aka cheap town. only 3 (4 if you count black world tendency) parts can be called difficult and they both rely on cheapness (the black phantom that can move freely in the swamp while you're stuck in slow mode or baiting him on the tiny islands, and the 2 giant gank squads on the tiny islands, one of which is entirely avoidable and the other can be lured 1 by 1)

I borrowed by DeS to a friend who beated DS1 & 2, he gave up on 4-2, with those skeletons in a cliff and the dark cavern full of insta-rape.

and i played DeS before the others and didn't really have as much trouble as in DaS1 (after all the hype i found it disappointingly easy, particularly the overhyped bosses Allant and Flamelurker. and i'm not even an actionsperg like Edward Murrow). gave DeS to the gf and she roflstomped it blind after she had quite a bit of trouble in DaS1 with my guidance. so?

i can understand people liking DeS more than the others because of the atmosphere (with which i'd agree as it's absolutely brilliant) or the story or even lore, but it being the hardest? i can only laugh at that

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seems more like you agree with me but think it's all "cheap shit". Which doesn't make it easier, we're talking about difficulty, not polish or competence.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I haven't played DeS in a long time, but I recall most of the difficulty disappearing once I got my hands on a halberd (actually I think it was like a lucerne hammer type thing?) that was enchanted to do magic damage. Suddenly every enemy in the game could be safely stunlocked from out of their reach, and nothing was super resistant to my weapon, unlike when I was using physical stuff.

praetor

Arcane
Seems more like you agree with me but think it's all "cheap shit". Which doesn't make it easier, we're talking about difficulty, not polish or competence.

i don't. at all. i just pointed out the not-even-a-dozen instances where the game could possibly be conceived as somewhat "difficult" (while omitting to do the same for DaS1 or 2 as it would take quite a bit more space and i really can't be arsed to do that right now, but i will if you really really want to), which amount to cheap ass ganks (and pointed out it's a criticism often levelled at DaS2. the irony, huh?) that can be pulled 1 by 1 (and as such rendered almost harmless thanks to DeS combat mechanics) and provided 2 counterexample to your lame ass "example as to how DeS is more difficult", and even gave a couple of hints as to how DeS is fundamentally mechanically significantly easier, regardless of encounters. there's plenty of cheap shit in all 3 games, but DeS is the cheapest (and not the most difficult, again, thanks to the worst mechanics in the series... which is understandable considering it's the first, but whatever...)

Gentle Player

Arcane
DeS would have been very hard if World Tendency were better implemented, to the effect that players could have regularly found themselves unwillingly in Black Tendency before having gained a good number of levels, upgrades, and powerful equipment. But as it stands, even a first time player who doesn't know to suicide in the Nexus and control Tendency to maximise world events will find themselves in White Tendency the vast majority of the time, unless they are using Stone of Ephemeral Eyes after every Body Form death - and even then they would almost certainly run out of Stones before long.

I found Dark Souls II - especially the DLC - the hardest even though it was the third Souls that I played.

Higher Animal

Arcane
and what would these mystical "adventure elements" (that were removed by later incarnations) be? be specific, not this vague bullshittery (if you say the tendencies, those were good ideas at heart that had absolutely horrible execution)

what? 1-3 the only hard part is the red eye knight ganksquad (remember, the accusation most often levelled at DaS2, lol), that you can lure 1 by 1 anyway (and they pose no threat that way by the time you get there), the rest is the same easy "poiseless stunlock"/"circlestrafe backstab" game, mechanically significantly easier than the sequels (lets not even get into the healing mechanics...)

1-4 only has the bullshittery of the dragon and the initial red phantom ganksquad (probably the cheapest, most obnoxious gank in the entire series)

2-2 hard? are your serious? other than the overrated Flamelurker that is entirely shut down by the PFS, what the hell was hard in 2-2? not even the red phantoms there pose any threat..

3-2 again, the only hard part is the cheap shit: black phantom mindflayers that pretty much one-shot you (the one on the spiral stairway in particular being especially cheap and dumb), the rest is trivial or at most annoying

4-2 is the only legitimately difficult one thanks to the reapers and their respawning minions and there not being essentially any shortcut... but it becomes pretty easy if you memorize where those cunts are and act accordingly (if you just rush and don't understand how they work it's your own fault). skelllies are pretty easy (they attack so slow they're trivial to backstab/attack safely), never understood how people have trouble with them

5-2 aka cheap town. only 3 (4 if you count black world tendency) parts can be called difficult and they both rely on cheapness (the black phantom that can move freely in the swamp while you're stuck in slow mode or baiting him on the tiny islands, and the 2 giant gank squads on the tiny islands, one of which is entirely avoidable and the other can be lured 1 by 1)

and i played DeS before the others and didn't really have as much trouble as in DaS1 (after all the hype i found it disappointingly easy, particularly the overhyped bosses Allant and Flamelurker. and i'm not even an actionsperg like Edward Murrow). gave DeS to the gf and she roflstomped it blind after she had quite a bit of trouble in DaS1 with my guidance. so?

i can understand people liking DeS more than the others because of the atmosphere (with which i'd agree as it's absolutely brilliant) or the story or even lore, but it being the hardest? i can only laugh at that

Too much aspergers, doritos, and diet coke.

DeS is an objectively difficult game compared to nearly every game that came out on consoles since NG2.

This is a piece that explains why DeS is actually an adventure rpg: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-still-feels-fresher-than-its-dark-successors and not a Powergamey/Systemfaggot diet coke version of GW2, LoL, and Dota 2.

praetor

Arcane
Too much aspergers, doritos, and diet coke.

DeS is an objectively difficult game compared to nearly every game that came out on consoles since NG2.

This is a piece that explains why DeS is actually an adventure rpg: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-still-feels-fresher-than-its-dark-successors and not a Powergamey/Systemfaggot diet coke version of GW2, LoL, and Dota 2.

and predictably you reply with a whole lot of bullshit and nothing concrete. and that article says absolutely nothing about why would DeS be an "adventure rpg" (particularly compared to the successors), when the noted differences are in tone/aesthetic, more open-ended approach (debatable), gimmicky bosses (which the author obviously doesn't understand that it's not a good thing [at least not the way DeS does them]) and some inconsequential or straight up bullshit stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with how you claim that something was lost in the sequels that they apparently dumbed down or straight up removed shit that was in DeS

It's almost like different games are harder for different people. :hmmm:

except that DeS has the least refined, most easily abusable, cheesable mechanics and the enemies with the least varied and most predictable moveset [plus the encounter design is the least interesting of the 3, imo] of all 3 (4?) games so it's objectively the easiest of the lot

Higher Animal

Arcane
and predictably you reply with a whole lot of bullshit and nothing concrete. and that article says absolutely nothing about why would DeS be an "adventure rpg" (particularly compared to the successors), when the noted differences are in tone/aesthetic, more open-ended approach (debatable), gimmicky bosses (which the author obviously doesn't understand that it's not a good thing [at least not the way DeS does them]) and some inconsequential or straight up bullshit stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with how you claim that something was lost in the sequels that they apparently dumbed down or straight up removed shit that was in DeS

The article spells out any point I would have made. But I should've expected autism.

"Gimmick" bosses means novel solutions - "adventure" genre gameplay.

Pyromancy says hello.
:lol: before pyro there was Royalty class in DeS aka easy mode.

The article spells out any point I would have made. But I should've expected autism.

his points are:
-des is better cause gameplay mechanics are not properly explained to player
- des is better cause grinding for health potions is what we consider a good gameplay
- des is better cause its locations are darker therefor you cant see shit and its cool
-des is better thanks to 40 minutes long runs through level without any kind of checkpoint
-gimmick bosses with no challenge at all

fair fucking points :retarded:

Higher Animal

Arcane
his points are:
-des is better cause gameplay mechanics are not properly explained to player
- des is better cause grinding for health potions is what we consider a good gameplay
- des is better cause its locations are darker therefor you cant see shit and its cool
-des is better thanks to 40 minutes long runs through level without any kind of checkpoint
-gimmick bosses with no challenge at all

fair fucking points :retarded:

A good summary punctuated by an autobiographical smiley.

Cadmus

Arcane
Faggots who play DS to powergame and overanalyze everything.
You should burn in hell.
It's like putting ketchup into spaghetti carbonara.
It's like retouching Mona Lisa with an eyeliner.
It's like reading a walkthrough for Planescape: Torment.

Fucking retards.

praetor

Arcane

no. it just means once you figure out the (really easy) gimmick, it becomes a boring chore and has 0 replayability. that's not good game design for an action game

praetor

Arcane
git gud and play dota2 fagit

ah, ad hominems. the last bastion of fucktards with 0 arguments. you still haven't explained how they dumbed down the sequels, in particular how DeS had gameplay stuff the others didn't (because there are still gimmick bosses in both successors. there may be a lower percentage of them, but at least they just got substantially less retarded in DaS2)

Pyromancy says hello.

manaregen/infinite spellcasts says hello. poiseless infinite stunlocks says hello. infinite instaheal says hello.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Healing and spell regen was far easier to come by in the latter two games anyways, thanks to the plethora of bonfires and those herbs in DaS2. You'd have to be a total retard to run out of spellcasts there. Mana regen was basically worthless in DeS, and it's not like the vendor who sells the herbs is in your base by default.

Pyromancy is far more fundamentally broken because it cheats the basic system of stats increasing in cost non-linearly. You can dump your first 30 points into vit and become an unkillable monster while you still outdamage everything else in the game by leveling your pyro glove as well. And the brokeness of this becomes incredibly obvious from the moment you find out pyromancy doesn't scale with anything you spend soul levels on AKA to everyone from the start of the game.

Royalty can hardly even be considered powerful by comparison. It's about on par with running an archer in the DaS games- you have plenty of ammo for weak ranged attacks, so you can plink away at shit for a long fucking time if you're incredibly patient.

Machocruz

Arcane
If a game is hard for someone, it's hard for them, and debating the particulars of design doesn't change the effect in the player's mind. For some people DeS was the hardest, for others DaS, and yet for others DaS2. DeS was the most punishing to me, but for personal reasons: first time with series, some long jaunts back to bosses (more tedium than difficulty), not knowing about PFS before Flamelurker, some bad choices (Not learning Man Eater solo until NG+, and with only a +2 CGA/LARPing Conan instead of going for effectiveness), taking time to realize just how important patience was. I'll never know what the other games would have felt like had I played them first.

LivingOne

Savant
http://cbt.darksouls3.com/en/gameguide-networkplay.html

Competitive Play

Use a Red Eye Orb, and you'll be able to invade other players' worlds and play against them competitively. The invaded player is called the "host", and the invading player is called the "client".

Starting Competitive Play

-The client uses a Red Eye Orb

-The client automatically invades the world of the selected host

-The host and client play against each other in the host's world

Success Conditions

If the host is defeated, the client will receive rewards and return to their own world.

Failure Conditions If the client dies, the host enters a boss room, or any return items are used, the client will return to their own world.

Cannot Invade

If the world you want to invade is in a multiplayer state (at least one co-op player), you cannot invade that world.

Invading

Up to two people can invade a world at once. Invaders treat each other as enemies and can attack and damage each other.

Lord of Cinder

In order to summon other players, you must use an Ember to obtain the power of the Lord of Cinder.

Using an Ember allows you to become a multiplayer host.

When in Lord of Cinder mode, your character's appearance will change, and you'll have the following effects until you die:

-Maximum HP boosted 1.4x

-Able to summon other players via soul sign

-Icons next to gauges change
I see they're trying to fix ganking the same way they tried to fix twinking with sm...

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, any idea how the stress test will look like? Some pvp arena?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom