Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Silva

Arcane
...and the same NPC after you kill Frieda:

"I can hear the crackling from here. The sound of my home, the painting of Ariandel, burning away...

"When the world rots, we set it afire.
For the sake of the next world.
It's the one thing we do right, unlike those fools on the outside."

So you don't even need to read items descriptions. The guy spills everything plainly. :lol:

Come on Skinwalker , I agree with you that DS3 is overall filled with unnecessary cryptic shit. But in this case, it's not that bad.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
...and the same NPC after you kill Frieda:
Like I said, you don't get any real info about what any of this stuff meant until AFTER you've beaten the entire DLC, including its final boss. And the chicken still doesn't explain what Ariandel was doing in the secret basement of the church, or what he was talking about to Frieda (I got the wrong impression that he was desperately seeking the flame but was being misled/imprisoned by Frieda, and that he was very excited when he saw sparks of it appear, which left me confused as to why I needed to fight him at all... oh, right, it's only in his weapon's item description that you're told that the flame appears in his bowl and that he was flagellating himself to douse it with his blood).

Come on @Skinwalker , I agree with you that DS3 is overall filled with unnecessary cryptic shit. But in this case, it's not that bad.
Ashes of Ariandel is the most unnecessarily cryptic piece of content I'd ever seen from FS, topping even the next DS3 DLC and Bloodborn. It's at the very bottom of the barrel IMO.

ind33d

Educated
I just realized that DS3 has more choice and consequence than most RPGs now just based on the fact you can kill the NPCs. That's hilarious

Max Damage

Savant
Elden Ring felt pretty bad by the virtue of being open world slog, but technically it's not DS. The one I liked the least was 2, it looked and played like crap, pretty embarrasing for such late PS3 release.

Max Damage

Savant
Good, at least they made 1 good game after shitty cashgrab skinwalker version of DS, also, I played the trilogy after Sekiro came out, cope harder.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You are not a real fan.
giphy.gif

Max Damage

Savant
Is that supposed to be an insult? Huge part of DS fandom is entry shitflinging between rabid fanboys, you being prime example.

Max Damage

Savant
If being a fan means posting ERP cringe, then I doubly don't want to be "accepted", especially since I never applied in first place. Anyway, going for a walk now, this is getting repetitive.

Silverfish

Arbiter
That doesn't make any sense, not liking DS2 means you played games with actual level and encounter design before.

DS2 level design is solid, though. I prefer the first in that regard, but 2 isn't quite as bad about doors that don't open "from this side" and it's not like 3 where half the areas feel like Bloodborne chalice dungeons that were left on the cutting room floor. Most DS2 areas have something going on in addition to combat. If you think the encounter design is crap then drop Scholar in the trash where it belongs and play vanilla.

Silva

Arcane
Come on DS2 fanboys, at least be honest. DS2 level and encounter design is shit as they're basically quantity over quality. Same for the bosses. And that floaty character movement, that's shit too.

The game has qualities, sure, like build variety, PvP and powerstancing. Even the lore is neat with Vendrick and Aldia and all. But it's far from perfect.

I still prefer DS2 over Elden Ring though.

ind33d

Educated
If you think 2 is the worst you need to give up gaming, full stop. Just find a different hobby. Your opinions are destructive.
I actually consider 2 good, but only with lighting mods so the torch system is necessary. The gamma being too low literally breaks the entire game because you can see enemies farther than intended. I wonder if vanilla DS2/SOTFS looks better on CRT

Silva

Arcane
Don't know about DS2, but DS3 in my TV is actually better as I can drop both brightness and sharpness down to mitigate that awful grayish hue and the lack of AA. And yes, torches become necessary. I guess the same logic applies to DS2? I'll install it here and try.

_ _ _

By the way, just remembered a big "plot hole" in DS3: the fact the Firelink Shrine skybox doesn't go dark with that darksun in the mid, when all other skies in the world go. It's like the devs forgot entirely about it. This game development must have been a nightmare.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
By the way, just remembered a big "plot hole" in DS3: the fact the Firelink Shrine skybox doesn't go dark with that darksun in the mid, when all other skies in the world go. It's like the devs forgot entirely about it. This game development must have been a nightmare.
Similar thing happens in Bloodborn: the "blood moon" is only visible from certain locations, whereas others just show a regular moon. Something-something cryptic ramblings, interpret that however you wish.

Silva

Arcane
Well, bleeding is not so bad after all. I've just melted the twin faggots Lothric & Lorian with bleeding crow talons (that weapon skill is insane) on NG. That said, I would only recommend the bleed infusion on very fast weapons like daggers, claws and dual swords like sellsword's or gravewarden's. Even if the stat line looks nice on big weapons (carthus CGS shows 80 bleed for eg) it's NOT worth it cause they're too slow and take a while to proc. Go hollow infusion on those instead.

Also important: bleeding effects not only proc speed but also the amount of damage inflicted. By default it takes 15% of the target's life once procced, but the "specialized" weapons (those bleed infused) take an aditional 200 hp, which can be huge on early NGs.

Similar thing happens in Bloodborn: the "blood moon" is only visible from certain locations, whereas others just show a regular moon. Something-something cryptic ramblings, interpret that however you wish.
Are you sure of that? I had impression the blood moon is seen from all "real world" locations, and only the dream planes (Nightmare frontier, Hunter's dream, etc) lack it?

In DS3, Irithyll also lacks the dark sun but that's easily explained by the location being "magical", in the sense that's a moon/illusion themed region since DS1.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom