Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands is fucking great

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by JarlFrank, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    I didn't expect political talk in DS thread. I didn't want political talk in DS thread. But we haven't started it. They did

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    Gents, any unofficial patches/mids mandatory for both games?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Nothing mandatory but there are these!

wonder if these games can be modded.

^ Top  
  4. The Avatar Pseudodragon Studios Developer

The Avatar
    Wait why is Dark Sun racist? It doesn't even have half-orcs. Just cannibalistic halflings and weird bug people.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    SJW see racism on everything, even on math... Probably the fact that fantasy races exists on the setting is enough to consider it racist. Or the fact that Muls can only exists via slavery cuz no woman want to date a manlet dwarf , i honestly don't know.

^ Top  
  6. AdolfSatan Magister

AdolfSatan
    My staff is hard and ready, come at me fagget :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jk we both know that the kind of man to use an Owyn avatar is not the one that'd fight about it.

^ Top  
  7. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    Because they expect their media to all be on the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. Where the evil is milquetoast and never really does anything.

The existence of slavery in the setting makes it fascist, even if most games involve escaped slaves fighting to free others or what have you.

It follows from there that since the setting is clearly fascist, anyone who likes it is a fascist by association. Therefore, they are also racist and sexist, and the game must be too.

Now, enough about the politics of idiots.

Ol' Willy - what were the classes of the Halflings? Interested to know.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    Well said. On 3e, I played a lv 12 preserver wizard focused on alteration wanting to research and develop a spell to turn infertile land into fertile land, transform sand into water and to develop constructs to replace the slave labor, his goal was to turn Athas into Eberron. This was not accomplished since was just a one shot game when most of the players of the group could't play and only would be accomplished on the end stages of a campaign if we had continued playing.

What makes interesting Dark Sun, is that is not Good VS Evil. Is a world DESTROYED and ruled by epic level Psions/Defiler casters who rebelled against their master who wanted to use then to commit genocide. The evil already won in that world. Now, is how to deal with tyranny and the consequences of having the world in a near dead stage due the use of defiling magic. In the cities, you are exposed to a absolute tyranny where a templar can accuse you of a crime and sentence you to slavery. Outside of city states, is a free for all, raiders, any village growing a little is attacked cuz he starts to become a treat to the sorcerer king and if you finally see a forest, don't enter. Unless you can deal with cannibal hobbits halflings. The world is tyrannical like hell in city states and chaotic evil like abyss outside of the city states.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Fighter-Thief, Fighter-Cleric and two Fighter-Druids

^ Top  
  10. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Good thing I give zero shits about anything WotC puts out these days. The newest D&D edition I play in my groups is 3.5, and sometimes we fall back to 2E.

The cool thing about pen and paper systems is that they provide infinite content by virtue of your DM making up new campaigns with the existing ruleset, you NEVER have to "upgrade" to the latest edition!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Why Cleric? Isn't Druid superior in every way?

^ Top  
  12. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    Druid doesn't get turn undead.

^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    They get full casting in the cosmos sphere instead, which is better, I believe.

^ Top  
  14. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Exactly this reason

^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Don't turn, burn.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    Why turn undead when you can have a half giant gladiator? This guys are living siege weapons.

^ Top  
  17. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Pure melee in DS is boring; I did four half-giants run (no Gladiator, though) and you just smash people around

^ Top  
  18. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I've never used Turn Undead in any of my runs in any DnD game format. I just beat the tar out of them. This is probably a legacy of the Gold Box games where you don't get XP for using Turn Undead.

^ Top  
  19. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's no excuse bruv.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.