Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darklands

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
it was on 19 disks
so why mobygames says it was on 11 (5.25" disk version) and 10 (3.5" disk version)???

https://www.mobygames.com/game/darklands/cover-art
mobygames is correct, at least regarding how many 3.5" disks it came with, I have a boxed copy at home with the manual and the map and all the other inserts it came with and I still have the disks in two piles of 5 disks banded together. It is one of my favorite older games and definitely one of the most fun packages to look at and read through. My copy of Ultima Underworld is also cool but I don't think I own any boxed games with better inserts than Darklands.

Gamezor

Learned
Maybe reduce the combat volume
Did you play it with PC speaker audio or did you go to the effort of emulating the MT-32 sound module? Playing the game with proper audio and music makes it considerably more enjoyable.

I played with whatever GOG gives you out of the box in its dosbox. Did sound like shit admittedly. I just put on some other fantasy music. I don't think it would have helped the lack of variation in gameplay.

Funposter

Arcane
Maybe reduce the combat volume
Did you play it with PC speaker audio or did you go to the effort of emulating the MT-32 sound module? Playing the game with proper audio and music makes it considerably more enjoyable.

I played with whatever GOG gives you out of the box in its dosbox. Did sound like shit admittedly. I just put on some other fantasy music. I don't think it would have helped the lack of variation in gameplay.
GOG wouldn't be able to distribute this. You'd want to download Munt which is the emulator, and then find the MT-32 ROM independently. You run Munt in the background while you play your game through dosbox. This is good advice for many DOS games, actually, if you can find the MIDI controller that the soundtrack and SFX were designed to work with.

Shitty PC Speaker version

MT-32 version

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
There are also versions of DOSBox which'll automatically use Munt to play music, as long as you've got the MT-32 Roms. I think Staging and DOSBox-X have this feature. You can also patch this feature in yourself if you're compiling DOSBox from source by following the instructions on Munt's GitHub page. The roms can be a little tricky to find but I think they've got some on archive.org.

Funposter

Arcane
There are also versions of DOSBox which'll automatically use Munt to play music, as long as you've got the MT-32 Roms. I think Staging and DOSBox-X have this feature. You can also patch this feature in yourself if you're compiling DOSBox from source by following the instructions on Munt's GitHub page. The roms can be a little tricky to find but I think they've got some on archive.org.
iirc you only need to trawl through a couple of pages of Google search. It's not THAT bad.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you just remade this with more content, more stuff to find in each city
I totally get where you're coming from. Arnold Hendrick said this was like 1/4 of the actual content he wanted to include. It was like a quarter of Germany's mythology from the southwest of it or something. I dunno, read the Steam conversation with him. It's way over my head. But they get credit because they tried and nobody has EVER tried that hard in 30 years.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Thought I would necro the most recent Darklands thread I could find rather than attempt to start a new thread as I just wanted to ask:

Anyone heard of any sneaky remakes/cool mods/remasters of this in the works?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thought I would necro the most recent Darklands thread I could find rather than attempt to start a new thread as I just wanted to ask:

Anyone heard of any sneaky remakes/cool mods/remasters of this in the works?
Not a one.
The guy who made the original game himself estimated that a remake today would cost 10 mill easy.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeah I did follow some of his last ditch attempts to get one up a while ago. As I recall he has passed on now. Shame, if there is one game highest on my list to get a remaster/sequel like he envisaged with expanded europe etc....It would be this one.

Then again, these days, maybe it's best to leave it where it lies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom