Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DarkLight Dungeon Beta Release

Jason

chasing a bee
<p>Indie dungeon crawler <a href="http://www.darklightdungeon.com/" target="_blank"><strong>DarkLight Dungeon</strong></a> now has a beta ready for the downloading.</p>
<blockquote>DarkLight Dungeon is a role playing game set in a 3D dungeon featuring 2D turn based combat. Inspired by games such as Wizardry, Shadows of Yserbius and Demise: Rise of The Ku'tan; DarkLight Dungeon is more than just a simple "hack-n-slash" dungeon crawl. DarkLight Dungeon is full of locked doors, secret rooms and secret messages in many languages. The dungeon has many distinct areas which intertwine between each other offering a non linear fashion of game play.

Beta Notes

Character level is limited to 15 and dungeon level is limited to level 4
For testing reasons, you may hit the F2 key to be transported back to the village
The dwarf race has been balanced and should represent the average difficulty
Beta testers should be looking for the following...
1.) Making sure the application runs on your hardware and windows platform
2.) Looking for bugs
3.) Balancing for the other races, or even further suggestions on the dwarf race
4.) Suggestions on interface changes, enhancements, etc, feedback is more than welcome
5.) Use the contact link on the main page for feedback, Thanks!</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.indiegamenews.com/">Indie Game News</a></p>

Lightknight

Liturgist
" Inspired by games such as Wizardry, Shadows of Yserbius and Demise: Rise of The Ku'tan"

Inspired by ? Its a Mordor clone through and through ! Which is not a bad thing by itself, but it makes the same mistake Demise did - going full 3D on it. I'm still playing Mordor regularly, pretty much just because it's very fast to make a run through the dungeon until you levelup or killed a boss, in 10 minutes, and then quit it until monsters respawned. In Demise we had the same exact gameplay, but with full 3D it slowed down the process tenfold. If i wanted to be involved in a game for hour or more - i'd pick a better game than Demise. Mordor is still fun everyday in small doses.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Where is the motherfucking linux version? Haven't those smalltime indie devs learned anything yet?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haven't linux users learned anything yet?

But I get your point and if I was an indie dev, I'd only develop stuff for many platforms.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Yes.

We have learned that it is very annoying when people make stuff Windows-only for no good reason. SDL: use it.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Tried to play it but it (in my case) has only two display resolutions to choose from, and both are too fucking big for my laptop (One is 1240x1024 and the other one is 1680x1050).

getter77

Augur
Talk about a weird combo with what the current top link/vid is on Indie Games site! lol insane PingPong thing

Not sure what to think of this just yet, totally slipped under my radar. I guess it depends on how brisk the development is from here.

Antihero

Liturgist
Don't know if the game play is any good yet, but the UI could use some work - getting out of things like Riley's merchant menu at the start is sort of annoying. Maybe I'm just not used to having to move backwards to get out of those things when they look like a modal menu - thought I'd tried mashing the down arrow among other keys. The music would be better if it would loop seamlessly too or have a longer gap.

Anyway, I wonder how much supporting Linux would really get you, or if you'd just have the hassle of debugging obscure OpenGL issues or why it doesn't work on the latest 64-bit Stallman's Toejam distro (even though you said you only support Ubuntu Poppy Popamole). Probably easier if you release the source and let package maintainers worry about it, but probably not so great from the standpoint of a small commercial venture.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Looks interesting enough that I hope it gets finished.

The GUI screens could use some enhancements though instead of the basic windows looking screens, and the areas look pretty empty but I realize its not done.

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
Antihero said:
Anyway, I wonder how much supporting Linux would really get you, or if you'd just have the hassle of debugging obscure OpenGL issues or why it doesn't work on the latest 64-bit Stallman's Toejam distro (even though you said you only support Ubuntu Poppy Popamole).

I think this is why you don't see more linux ports, particularly of small indie projects: it's the support, not the actual coding. If you're charging money for something, you've got to offer support, and I imagine the additional linux support demands might balance pretty evenly against additional linux sales.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
downloaded and tested.

shit.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, I saw that video, too. (He has a cool channel to subscribe to)

The game looks cool in the video. Sort of amateur, but still decent. I'm a bit interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom