Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darwinia to get patch, should anyone care?

PennyAnte

Liturgist
The news section on the Darwinia Web site notes a forthcoming 1.2 patch now in beta. (Noticed on Blues News). The change list looks pretty thorough and helpful.

I've been thinking about this game - is the consensus still that it's old/limited? IGN gave it a below-the-belt massage. Should that excite me?

Thydron

Liturgist
I played it, and it is a very good game - get the demo, i think its a good example of the game.

It kept me playing f or quite a while - it starts off a bit slow but once you get the better units and harder enemies its really fun.
It's a clever concept too, if you care about those things.
Its by the people who made uplink, if i recall correctly.

Fez

Erudite
Uplink was good fun. The demo for Darwinia seemed to show it was something different from the ususal crop of RTS games. Most people seem to be happy with it. I wish they'd make an Uplink 2 though.

index.php

Arcane
Darwinia 10000th Anniversary Edition

Fully re-mastered in 2022 to celebrate the Darwinian's 10000 anniversary this updated version brings an undisputed indie classic bang up to date. Running seamlessly on all modern systems, the game hasn't aged a day and is a fresh and relevant now as it was when it first dropped. Winning 3 out of 5 prizes at the IGF including the Seamous McNally Grand prize for Best Independent Video Game and multiple editors' choice awards, now is the time to play one of the most critically acclaimed indie games of all time.

Graphics

The entire graphics engine has been rewritten from scratch for compatibility with modern graphics APIs and better performance. Darwinia is currently compatible with systems with support for OpenGL 3.3 core, Direct3D 11, Metal, or Vulkan. Support for non-OpenGL graphics APIs is made possible by ANGLE.

Other high-level changes include:

- All the in-game UI now scales more appropriately with the size and DPI of the monitor it's running on
- Support for anti-aliasing modes including MSAA, SSAA, SMAA, and FXAA
- Support for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 1.0 (FSR)
- Support for anisotropic texture filtering
- Higher fidelity colors and tonemapping

Sound

The sound engine now supports up to 7.1-channel surround sound and uses 3D spatialization (i.e. directional audio and doppler effect), using MiniAudio. The sound engine supports any of the backends that MiniAudio does, including but not limited to WASAPI (Windows), PulseAudio (Linux), and CoreAudio (macOS).

Compatibility

Darwinia now requires hardware and drivers that support a minimum of at least one of these graphics APIs:

- OpenGL 3.3
- Vulkan 1.1
- Direct3D 11
- Metal

On Intel and AMD CPUs, the minimum instruction set requirement has been raised to SSE4.2, for higher performance 3D graphics math (matrices and vectors).

Apple Silicon Support on macOS

macOS builds now have support for both Intel and Apple Silicon.

Steam integration

The Steam release has a few minor features integrated for a better experience on the Steam platform, including:

- Cloud saves and Dynamic Cloud Sync support
- On-screen keyboard support (e.g. on devices using game controllers in Big Picture mode, or the Steam Deck)
- Tuned default settings for better Steam Deck support

Performance

Outside of architecture-specific changes, numerous performance improvements have been made throughout the entire game engine. One nice side effect of the heavy emphasis on performance is that Darwinia now requires far less energy to run, increasing battery life and playtime on laptops and other portable devices like the Steam Deck.

Bugfixes

There have been many bugfixes on numerous axes, including scripting, level editing, input handling, graphics, sound, stability, and game AI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom