Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Das Geisterschiff - turn-based cyberpunk dungeon crawler

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I may have come across a bug. Finished the game and started a new one to find all the content I missed, made it to the second mission, but everything is broken into and looted.

Or is this some kind of 4th wall breaking creepy mindfuck thing?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finished the game and started a new one to find all the content I missed, made it to the second mission, but everything is broken into and looted.
That's weird as hell. I just tried to reproduce this issue, but no dice. Are you playing the latest version (1.0.666)?

If you haven't restarted the game after the issue occured, could you PM me the output_log.txt from DasGeisterschiff_Data folder?

Afterwards, try restarting the application, then load the game, commit suicide and restart the current chapter and see if the problem persists.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
That's weird as hell. I just tried to reproduce this issue, but no dice. Are you playing the latest version (1.0.666)?

If you haven't restarted the game after the issue occured, could you PM me the output_log.txt from DasGeisterschiff_Data folder?

Afterwards, try restarting the application, then load the game, commit suicide and restart the current chapter and see if the problem persists.

As far as I know I am., latest version in the patch notes. I have the log file still.

But uhh, how the hell do you send a PM? I don't see any large friendly buttons that say private message on them anywhere.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

As far as I know I am., latest version in the patch notes. I have the log file still.

But uhh, how the hell do you send a PM? I don't see any large friendly buttons that say private message on them anywhere.
Click on my username and press 'Start a Conversation'.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Ok I dumped all the text into that, maybe I should have used a pastebin.

EDIT: Suicide seems to have fixed the problem, doors are closed, loot is in place. I guess it's true what they say, it brings on many changes.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Rolled out a quick update to 1.0.667, fixes issues reported by lightbane and another guy.

Changelog:
  • Fixed minor scripting issues.
  • Fixed missing translations on a couple of signs.
  • Changed menu text to make certain functions more obvious.

Thanks to Lightbane and Daikatan for reporting these issues.

lightbane

Arcane
Alright, I finished the game with both endings (to call them something). My thoughts:

The standard ending is unchanged, there's an annoying last-minute teleporter puzzle that is there to waste your time. Sure, there's an in-story justification, but it still feels forced IMO. The final boss is okay, although for being an alleged ace, he sure has a shit aim with his rocket-launcher. Then there's the ending. So far I didn't find anything in-game that hints anything about WTF is going there. Was everything a simulation? Was it a dream? Is the "End of Report" message instead of "End of Transmission" supposed to mean something? Nanomachines?

As for the second ending... First, I accidentally finished the second mission earlier than I wanted because I used that hole with the guy with the traps everywhere, but I already know what happens so it wasn't a great loss. Also, despite being allegedly responsible for 300 kills, said boss is unable to open doors, which greatly limits his danger factor.

Either way, the ghost ship that names the game is still awesome. Then you're given the choice to hijack the boarding bad guys' ship to escape in style. Unfortunately, here's where the problems start: The dude with the rocket-launcher returns, but the ship is extremely ill-suited for his weapon of choice, to the point you can hide in a corner and plink him to death with the SMG since he'll be unable to find a good position to smash you with rockets. In fact, I saw him moving side to side since he couldn't get into a place where he could shoot me without hitting himself. Perhaps changing his weapon for a machinegun should do the trick? I remember having a similar comment for the endgame the first time I played this.

Then, the final, secret dungeon starts. IMO, it's a bit wonky and full of gimmicks. While I understand any hostile base would (and should) be full of dangers, each floor seems a reprise of another dungeon's gimmick, including stacked boxes to create labyrinths (too bad that despite being a Spark Industries here, your robot cannot jump or fly), one-way doors and so on (good thing the MC somehow acquired ammunition and full repairs for his suit before getting there, at least). Moreover, some of the door signs are still untranslated (that's before today's update arrived, so I dunno if it's still a thing).

Example:
AF0E280A7C8AB2A1542003F47DC526AB5CC7491B
The worst part though is that the new final boss, the bot with anti-radar armor that cannot be scanned is bugged: Should you try to Analyze it, the game gets stuck here. Is it intentional? I think something is not working as it should. No matter, it is easy to defeat with the Bazooka and feels somewhat underwhelming. It also doesn't help that having the area full of jammers kinda defeats its purpose since you can see its position with the minimap. Then, once you slough through the area, get some keys, fight bad guys with no new models but an unique laser minigun more dangerous than the final boss, you stumble upon an army at the exit of the complex, which implies your character ends up dead or worse, captured and likely brainwashed. Wasn't the whole thing supposed to be a dream or not then?

Sure, there are hints that your corporation may be doing something odd off-screen hidden in certain terminals, but the ones you fight are Evil with capital E: They seem to employ brainwashed, indoctrinated soldiers trained from the age of 14 (a very specific number that one, perhaps they're aware of mecha tropes?), followed by even more brainwashed soldiers taken from poor families (ones that are not scared from the almighty bazooka for once), probably for the role of becoming shock-troops (I suppose that if you have child-soldiers in your payroll, you may as well do it twice for extra evil and profit, right? :P).

Overall, for your first rpg game it's a good try, too bad that the ending/s suck.

Now make your sequel a Kickstarter/Fig/whatever entry, then switch halfway to Epic exclusive and give burkas to the female characters, as that seems to be the trend nowadays. :troll:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
You're right -- issuing more than one weapon to enemies could change things, that's one of the first things I'd like to add to DG2. DG1 had a hardcoded 1 weapon limit for enemies, which indeed came back to bite me in the ass when I did the end parts.

As for the freeze when you try to analyze the alternative ending boss -- gonna issue a quick fix today, thanks for reporting it.

:positive:

EDIT: Missing translations on the signs in the alternative ending have been fixed in 1.0.667.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Niice, didn't know Tweed makes YouTube videos.

There's one nitpick: you do get 2 actions per turn by using the attack menu. Quick attacks are designed to take care of objects outside of detection range (and firing when the attack menu is jammed).

Still, great review, probably the first one on YouTube.
:love:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Niice, didn't know Tweed makes YouTube videos.

There's one nitpick: you do get 2 actions per turn by using the attack menu.QUOTE]
Well I feel silly now.
It's something that's outlined in the tutorial, but I guess it's pretty unusual in dungeon crawlers in general, so it can be hard to get used to.

Advance: step towards the target, turn towards him if necessary, then shoot. If you're standing next to the target, you can ram and then shoot, which is pretty useful sometimes.
Stay: turn towards the target if necessary, then shoot.
Retreat: step away from the target, then shoot.

In addition, if there's a door between you and the target that's about to break down, you can simply select the target and select advance -- you'll ram the door, and if you manage to break it down, you'll get a shot at the enemy.

lightbane

Arcane
Honestly, the review makes the game look more difficult than it is, I rarely played dungeon crawlers and yet I was able to finish it with little issue. I suppose the optional final dungeon will destroy countless casual players.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Honestly, the review makes the game look more difficult than it is, I rarely played dungeon crawlers and yet I was able to finish it with little issue. I suppose the optional final dungeon will destroy countless casual players.

Well aside from learning the game, messing up combat, and getting blown away a few times in the cargo room on the third mission and those stupid ramming robots it wasn't very difficult. I guess I always come across to harsh on things.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
It's interesting how the difficulty is perceived by different players, as many others couldn't quit complaining about it.
You guys make me want to crank the difficulty in DG2 up to 11 just to see you suffer and cry.
:friendly:

BTW, DG is 33% off until May 20. Time to bait your freunds into grabbing it.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
It's interesting how the difficulty is perceived by different players, as many others couldn't quit complaining about it.
You guys make me want to crank the difficulty in DG2 up to 11 just to see you suffer and cry.

Add a Dungeon Master style sectional damage system, crippled limbs and all that.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Add a Dungeon Master style sectional damage system, crippled limbs and all that.
Sectional damage is something I'd like to do for DG3. There's quite a lot of new features in DG2, but gotta stay smart and avoid scope creep.

Smart players will counter by abusing AI patterns and such, or even messing with the save files to have spare copies. :smug:
So you're asking for better AI, fights against multiple enemies and savescumming prevention. Understood. :smug:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would also like targeted hits like in Fallout. Unless that's what Tweed is also asking for.

Maybe also consider a kind of progression thing. Maybe not EXP stuff but just, money to use for upgrades and what-not? Kinda like how Armored Core does it.

lightbane

Arcane
Will it have actual colors instead of a red filter everywhere?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom