Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War games

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Dark Crusade is the best DoW, retribution is meh, due to boring multiplayer full of leavers.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dow1 is pretty great all around.

Vanilla DoW is good enough as 'the game that started it', has an alright enough plot and mission structure, all in all seems like a typical RTS, but when it came out it (at least for me) had lots of novelty, like squads instead of units, divide into melee/ranged for all units, good enough C&C style rock/paper/scissors mechanics, 40k, etc.

Winter Assault is basically Dow1 on steroids. Winter Assault is the entire series's highest point, with seriously entertaining missions, factions and maps. It just has a few stinkers like invincible ultrasmurfs and a khornate sorcerer, but eh, who gives a shit.

Dark Crusade is pretty neat-o, it gets a lot of flak that it doesn't deserve. Reading, for example, Ulm's post, you'll read that it has nothing but skirmish maps and 1 special 'stronghold' mission against each race, which is simply not true, as it also has quite a few of special missions that give you various buffs for the rest of the campaign. All in all, I'd say it's about 50/50 when it comes to skirmish and special maps, or at least time spent because once you get enough unlocks for your commander and enough special 'honour guard' units, you can just stomp through the very late game skirmishes in about 5 minutes and just enjoy the special ones. Basically, people falsely see Dark Crusade through the prism of Soulstorm.

And Soulstorm is seriously shit in singleplayer. THIS game has nothing but skirmishes and stronghold missions, and it has like three times as many missions than Dark Crusade, so yeah, singleplayer campaign is HORRIBRU AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. It's pretty much the best part for multiplayer, though, with the least retardo balance, most factions, etc.

Now, Dow2... Dow2 is kinda shit.

Vanilla Dow2 is seriously horribad. You keep controlling 4 dudes through horribly linear and repetitive maps that offer almost no challenge or novelty whatsoever, and at the end of each one you have a one hundred million billion hp bloat boss that takes half an hour of stupid clicking around to take down. Avoid at all costs, Dow2 oc is simply not fun to play.

Chaos Rising is kinda to Dow2 like Winter Assault was to Dow1. It has much, MUCH better mission structures, much, MUCH less repetition, a fairly decent enough plot, some C&C and pretty atmospheric stuff. It still suffers from the horrible boss hp bloat, however, but it's not as prevalent, fortunately. I loathed Dow2 oc but finished Chaos Rising twice, given your choices your d00dz get all new abilities that provide sometimes hilarious new tacticool options.

And last is Retribution. Retribution is also seriously horribad. The plots for each race have to be the stupidest in the series, each campaign is EXACTLY THE SAME WITH EXACTLY THE SAME OBJECTIVES AND MAPS FOR ALL RACES which produces such horrible clusterfucks and retardations it leaves you completely baffled. It also pretty much completely annihilates any replay value. The mission structures are almost as bad as Dow2 vanilla, just except that all the maps completely remove any illusion of freedom or different approaches and are nothing more than popamole corridors through which you move your EPIC BROS and spam AWESOME BUTTONS until shit dies. Retribution is not only not fun to play, but also horribly retarded. Avoid.

Psquit

Arcane
Chaos rising is cool

move your EPIC BROS and spam AWESOME BUTTONS
yeah, Dark crusade wasnt like that... It was REALLY DEEP!1 spam dreadnought with terminators an orbital strike GG or my favorite, base build near your base with the eldars then unleash avatar of khaine with all your troops GG or spam drones with the tau until your defenses are destroy.

you'll read that it has nothing but skirmish maps and 1 special 'stronghold' mission against each race
Its true, plus the AI is shit they cant conquer shit in their turns. ORKS "WAAAAGH" fail to conquer "LETS GET OUT OF HERE!" thats the only thing the orks will do in the entire game.

Retribution is not only not fun to play, but also horribly retarded
Its not retarded... soulstorm was retarded an fire warrior uber retarded.

Retribution has one of the best exterminatus scene in the whole warhammer 40k games.

an the whole plot of the exterminatus was really cool with the ultimate showdown with the kyras/aka the demon from dawn of war 1.

it is repetitive i wont deny that but is not as bad as you make it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Its not retarded... soulstorm was retarded an fire warrior uber retarded.

Retribution has one of the best exterminatus scene in the whole warhammer 40k games.

Witness quality discourse:

"RETRIBUSHUN NOT TARDED CUZ IT HAS EXTERMINATUS LOL ARE YOU STUPID OR STH????"

yeah, Dark crusade wasnt like that... It was REALLY DEEP!1 spam dreadnought with terminators an orbital strike GG or my favorite, base build near your base with the eldars then unleash avatar of khaine with all your troops GG or spam drones with the tau until your defenses are destroy.

At least you actually have to get to that point. Meanwhile, all your dudebros in Retribution basically start with IDDQD awesome buttons and get even more on the way. The ego-stroking power fantasy that goes on in Retribution is simply preposterous, and the maximum dumbfuck AI + lack of difficulty (which can only be changed by adding more hp bloat to enemy units, as with all other dow2 parts) makes Dark Crusade seem like the epitome of strategy and tactics.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
DoW 2 has a great soundtrack.

Also brilliant voice work...other RTS have like 10 lines for each unit at best, DoW2 has unique responses for every little thing.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Excuse my skepticism, but isn't the only exterminatus scene? The only other scene of that kind that I can recall is in the German fan movie (epic collars).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DoW2 has Last Stand mode which is really fun with a couple friends, but limited by poor controls and lack of maps (just 2 with with the Retribution expansion).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So, is there a CHA0S campaign in DOW2 + Expansions? With DREADN0UHGTS and shit?

Yeah, there's a chaos campaign in Retribution.

It includes but is not limited to: Nurglite sorcerors turning into Khornate sorcerors turning into Greater Daemons of Khorne, closing warp portals, slaughtering traitor guardsmen/csm/cultists/daemons by the dozen, meeting the servants of a greater daemon the main character knows well and has helped awaken before... ONLY TO SLAUGHTER THEM ALL AND AWAKEN IT AGAIN EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T NEED IT! HUEHUEHUEHUE

OH DID I MENTION CLOSING WARP PORTALS??? WHY SPREAD KHAYOS AND SUMMON DAEMONS WHEN YOU CAN DO THE GOOD GUYS' JOB FOR THEM. WOLOLO.

no dreadnoughts in the campaign, however

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Excuse my skepticism, but isn't the only exterminatus scene? The only other scene of that kind that I can recall is in the German fan movie (epic collars).
I think fire warrior had one too.

And yeah, that exterminatus bit is good and all but its 2 minutes out of a 10 hour campaign, and its not like its better if you see it in the campaign because you won't care more for the planet they're exterminating or anything.

The voice acting is dow2 is certainly impressive, but its no WHEEE WHEEEL CAPCHOOOR IT FOOOOOR KAYOOOOOOOOOOOS.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Wow holy shit a lot of good text.
One thing I do need to add is that DoW 2 and the expansions get exponentially better when played in co-op. I don't think I could've trudged through them without a good bro on my side the whole time. :salute:

Also the multiplayer is fucking rock solid. At least I did enjoy it. DoW 1 wins in this category too (especially with Firestorm over Kaurava, DoWPro and other mods) but DoW 2 is a different beast entirely. The hours I've spent on Last Stand only...

Psquit

Arcane

well, firewarrior has one...

At least you actually have to get to that point.

At least you actually have to get to that point.

Unless you are playing necrons... behold the most feared Race in the entire galaxy next to the tyranids that can get pwnd in the first 6 minutes of a match cause they are fucking slow. Try 1vs1 with necrons i dare you!.

move your EPIC BROS and spam AWESOME BUTTONS
OHHHH you mean this broS? in 1.0 an 1.1 Pay for 1 get Two for FREE plus you dont need to spam awesome buttons they do it for you...
post-48309-1168760104.jpg

lets not forget this broken fag in 1.0 an 1.1 he Can make 2 elite squad that can snipe you across the map plus making a clone of whatver unit you want of your own faction including the great knarloc(the clone wont do any damage but he can tank) you can press a button an you bet something awesome will happen! A fucking BLUE WAVE explosion! Alot OF aWESUM POWERS in ONE SINGLE UNIT!!!1 dont let him get killed thou!1.

He is nerf now but ohh boy they took their time...

images

Behold The most OP unit in the whole game next to the imba-landraider!
large.jpg

You can make him perma-invisible+ the resurrection orb an his Op transformation

butt dont let detectors get near him...

images

The nightbringer aka
  • Damage inflicted by the Nightbringer is transferred as health to the Necron Lord.
  • Effective against all units.
  • He cannot take any damage while he is in this form for like more than 20 sec...

DId i mention that the necron lord with his invisible cape can make near units invisible? including the restored monolith

I CAN GO ON WITH the bullshit...

also

Dispair for im the end of- DEAD in 15 secs...

:love:

did you know, he is the final boss of dawn of war 1 an he is bloated with health.
The moar you know.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
HEY LOOK THERE'S SHIT BALANCE IN 1.0 AND ULTIMATE UNITS LIKE ETHEREAL AND NIGHTBRINGER ARE POWERFUL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Are you for fucking real? Jesus Christ, get the fuck out.

But just to address one bullshit claim:

did you know, he is the final boss of dawn of war 1 an he is bloated with health.

He sure as hell does not have 1mln hp and retardo regen like the Great Unclean One in Chaos Rising.

Get the fuck out.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
YOU are pretentious and soulless. But yeah, maybe it's not "GRATE" but it is p. cool and pumps you up.
After listening to martial industrial for few years, it just feels too much like product made to stimulate certain reactions without much "soul" to it.

And since 3/4 of stuff that I listen is cool and pumps me up, I have deleted the whole thing after a few listen-through.

Psquit

Arcane
HEY LOOK THERE'S SHIT BALANCE IN 1.0 AND ULTIMATE UNITS LIKE ETHEREAL AND NIGHTBRINGER ARE POWERFUL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Are you for fucking real? Jesus Christ, get the fuck out.

But just to address one bullshit claim:

He sure as hell does not have 1mln hp and retardo regen like the Great Unclean One in Chaos Rising.

Get the fuck out.

HEY LOOK THERE'S SHIT BALANCE IN 1.0

1.2 ohhh ultimate badass balance nerf the tau, change some stuff,icons,etc no more updates.

Necrons can still cheese same with eldars.

retardo regen
he has health regen if you dont attack it he will start to regen little by little And fuck you.

Edit: Meh, fuck the argument i enjoyed dawn of war 1+expansions except soulstorm that voice acting... dark crusade is one of the best.
Dawnf of war 2+expansions is awesome they add more squad control in multiplayer.
besides if we point to retard stuff just read matt ward crap... that shit is cannon to the whole 40k universe dawn of war 2 not...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I have to say that Awor does seem to be more legit as a martial industrial conoisseur...
Well, I'm not really a connoisseur. It's just that it's really glaring when one listens to even as little as several albums made by people who do stuff like that as stand-alone music.

Suicidal

Arcane
Being a big fan of games such as Starcraft, Command and Conquer series, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires, DoW didn't quite tick with me. I thought it was ok but nothing really special. The main reason why I didn't like them that much is the amount of restrictions they put on everything. When I play an RTS game I like to build a ton of stuff and bleed the map dry of resources. I found the unit caps in DoW really small + they started having that "YOU CANNOT BUILD MORE THAN 3 OF X" shit for almost every unit and building at some point (Dark Crusade IIRC) + there is no resource gathering in the traditional sense. It all just felt really limiting and dull.

I'd say DoW and Winter Assault are worth a campaign playthrough, and maybe 1 Dark Crusade campaign, however each campaign in that game is just a collection of random skirmish maps with the only good, unique missions being the enemy strongholds. I was starting to lose patience half-way to completion. Don't remember if I've actually completed a campaign there. Didn't bother with Soulstorm at all. For a multiplayer RTS there are lots of way better games, IMO.

Psquit

Arcane
Being a big fan of games such as Starcraft, Command and Conquer series, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires, DoW didn't quite tick with me. I thought it was ok but nothing really special. The main reason why I didn't like them that much is the amount of restrictions they put on everything. When I play an RTS game I like to build a ton of stuff and bleed the map dry of resources. I found the unit caps in DoW really small + they started having that "YOU CANNOT BUILD MORE THAN 3 OF X" shit for almost every unit and building at some point (Dark Crusade IIRC) + there is no resource gathering in the traditional sense. It all just felt really limiting and dull.

I'd say DoW and Winter Assault are worth a campaign playthrough, and maybe 1 Dark Crusade campaign, however each campaign in that game is just a collection of random skirmish maps with the only good, unique missions being the enemy strongholds. I was starting to lose patience half-way to completion. Don't remember if I've actually completed a campaign there. Didn't bother with Soulstorm at all. For a multiplayer RTS there are lots of way better games, IMO.

Soulstorm at all. For a multiplayer RTS there are lots of way better games, IMO.

the problem was that soulstorm had 9 races an it was to unbalanced to even enjoy it... an probably the horrible campaing mode with that awful voice acting was a game killer.

that was because the vanilla dawn of war was more a tactical rts than an average strategy one. the point of the game was having some units, equipping them as you liked or as it was more effective according to what the enemy was fielding. most of the special weapons were available right away and the tech tree was simple and direct so often fights were won by who used his arsenal best. for example, the so dreaded dreadnought spam mentioned before would have been brutalized by a simple t1 tactical squad with 4 missile launchers, available way before any vehicle.
subsequent expansions were instead focused on memorizing which building or upgrade unlocked which unit or power and abusing this or that exploit forgotten in the hurry of adding to the game quantity over quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom