Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War games

Psquit

Arcane
subsequent expansions were instead focused on memorizing which building or upgrade unlocked which unit or power and abusing this or that exploit
This, thank you...

+The eldars were fucking annoying to beat because their builders could teleport across the map an start building again... plus they could make the structures invisible...
+In one optional mission to gain a perk to attack 2 times in the same turn, you have to gain the favor of a chaos demon... it make sense if you are playing with chaos but if you are a space marine is like wtf.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Three pages on DoW in a day? I found them to be bland and boring.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
And last is Retribution. Retribution is also seriously horribad. The plots for each race have to be the stupidest in the series, each campaign is EXACTLY THE SAME WITH EXACTLY THE SAME OBJECTIVES AND MAPS FOR ALL RACES which produces such horrible clusterfucks and retardations it leaves you completely baffled. It also pretty much completely annihilates any replay value. The mission structures are almost as bad as Dow2 vanilla, just except that all the maps completely remove any illusion of freedom or different approaches and are nothing more than popamole corridors through which you move your EPIC BROS and spam AWESOME BUTTONS until shit dies. Retribution is not only not fun to play, but also horribly retarded. Avoid.

One thing Retribution did right over vanilla dow/chaos rising was making upgrade points unlock new abilities instead of giving incremental bonuses to base stats (with abilities every x points). It was also better at letting you do different builds for your squads. (DoW2/CR pretty much shoedhorned you into melee/hp commander ranged/stealth thaddeus, ranged/hp avitus etc).

But yeah. Single player: Get WA, then Chaos Rising and ignore the rest. Multiplayer, get either soul storm or retrib if you hate base building or just want to kill doodz in last stand.

If 40K isn't a must for you, I'd say Company of Heroes is a better investment. Mechanics are similar (squads, reinforcement, capture points), base building is somewhere betwene DoW1 and Dow2, balance is better and the missions ar emore varied and interesting. I also liked the general abilities in CoH way more than in DoW2. But it's WW2 and some people are sick of WW2 games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Actually, there's about 3 viable builds for most guys in dow2/cr. You can easily make a good ranged commander, an ability spammer tarkus or a support dreadnought. Sure, the devastator and assault squads didn't have that much variety but it's a devestator squad: heavy fire support is what it is.

YOU are pretentious and soulless. But yeah, maybe it's not "GRATE" but it is p. cool and pumps you up.
After listening to martial industrial for few years, it just feels too much like product made to stimulate certain reactions without much "soul" to it.

And since 3/4 of stuff that I listen is cool and pumps me up, I have deleted the whole thing after a few listen-through.

As someone who seems obsessed with 40K, you must have something in mind that you would consider more appropriate than the music the game has? If anything I would say the soundtrack is somewhat restrained in the "grim dark" and "epicness" of what one might expect of WH40K in musical form. In terms of reflecting the visual/written content you would probably need doubled-up orchestras with cavernous reverbs in order to distil the feel of WH40K.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
As someone who seems obsessed with 40K
I'm not obsessed with Warhammer 40k.

you must have something in mind that you would consider more appropriate than the music the game has? If anything I would say the soundtrack is somewhat restrained in the "grim dark" and "epicness" of what one might expect of WH40K in musical form.
I don't have anything on my mind. The main problem with using vaguely fitting existing music is that you'll get mainly stuff with Nazi/Commie speeches in background.
It would be cool if some martial industrial band would make a Wh40k-themed album.

To be honest, out Wh40k game music, I liked music from Final Liberation and Space Crusade the best.

Debauchery is nice (although non-official) and Bolt Thrower is pretty decent.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I like the Narrator the most.
He's just ...so 40K.
So many games he narrated, I hope W40K franchise makes a return so I can listen to his grimdark voice once more.

Well DoW 1 was fun as fuck, especially with all those great rebalancing mods and DoWPro for Soulstorm. I'll never forget those fun times watching people argue about lore on the waiting rooms before the game started and then flattening the heretics with my Basilisks.

DoW 2 was Company of Space Marines so it didn't really appeal to me. Really fitting soundtrack and somewhat fun campaign though. But it did lack the scale battles had in the first one. No stuff like ordering 10 full squads of guardsmen to switch to melee and watching them bayonet charge some eldar position and grinding down their guardian spam.

I'm just hoping Dawn of War 3 will be more like the first.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
The biggest disappointment DoW 2 gave me was making more a hack'n'slash game, than actually escalate this shit. I just want to see real epic(tm) w40k game with thousands of heretics burning in the artillery fire of the glorious imperial guard.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Are there any mods for DC/SS that let you just play the Stronghold and Special Maps and skip all the repetitive skirmish bullshit?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The biggest disappointment DoW 2 gave me was making more a hack'n'slash game, than actually escalate this shit. I just want to see real epic(tm) w40k game with thousands of heretics burning in the artillery fire of the glorious imperial guard.
To me the greatest disappointment was that they didn't try to show how the war would "really" work like in the older games but that it was the RTS/RTT bullshit. These trend for non-simulation has started with Rites of War and never ended.
An epic real time simulation game with hundreds of units would be great. Too bad it will never happen.

Monocause

Arcane
Actually, in terms of single player I found both the original DoW and WA to be boring. If you're going to make a campaign that diverges far from standard skirmish gameplay you'd better introduce a number of interesting gimmicks to even it out (compare skirmish-based campaign of SC1 to gimmick-based of SC2).

Both OC and WA in DoW1 have neither proper skirmish gameplay nor interesting gimmicks. While I love the setting and the general "for the emperah!!1!" vibe it's just not enough.

Loving Dark Crusade though, just a shame that the concept wasn't expanded. They should've made the map bigger and added more interesting progression both resources-wise and wargear wise.

As to DoW2, well, I really like it. Sergeant difficulty got repetitive fairly fast, but then I switched to captain and found it's a sweet spot for me. Boss battles aren't that terrible of a grind if you know what you're doing - it's the last encounter, all these turrets, barrages, grenades and other consumables are there to be used. My main gripe is that squad development could be so much better and as it is you don't really have much options with them. It seems clear that fe. developing your FC to use ranged weaponry is a suboptimal choice. Developing melee for Avitus or Cyrus (past the additional accessory slot requirement) is a clear waste of points.

Also, if you're introducing an inventory system coupled with a sort of an ironman-ish gameplay you really should provide the player with the option to swap the loadout during missions.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This thread makes no sense. The only way to play DOW is on the net. Campains are a waste of time, all them, without exception.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
As someone who seems obsessed with 40K
I'm not obsessed with Warhammer 40k.

you must have something in mind that you would consider more appropriate than the music the game has? If anything I would say the soundtrack is somewhat restrained in the "grim dark" and "epicness" of what one might expect of WH40K in musical form.
I don't have anything on my mind. The main problem with using vaguely fitting existing music is that you'll get mainly stuff with Nazi/Commie speeches in background.
It would be cool if some martial industrial band would make a Wh40k-themed album.

To be honest, out Wh40k game music, I liked music from Final Liberation and Space Crusade the best.

Debauchery is nice (although non-official) and Bolt Thrower is pretty decent.
https://www.facebook.com/GalaxyAflame
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wnmsjj369fmrfu3/Imperium+at+War.rar

Neanderthal

Arcane
You know one o me main bashes against DoW is how little there is to do on each map, its just a repetition o same shit, they need some other features throwin in that fit wi map or 40k mood. I've been thinking that perhaps they need an ammunition system an all, where you got limited ammo an gotta rely on scrappin hand to hand if you run out, but you can resupply at certain places, outposts, your base, lootin dead if they're carryin same shit, an maybe APCs carry a large stockpile o ammo. I were disappointed wi Dark Crusade that we dint get to hav to fight to get us bases, would a been a good introduction, an perhaps av Tau outposts on every map to show that they're trying to hold on to Kronus, as well as race whos taken over area. Suppose you could av Necron start showin up an all, an blowin up tunnels to their underworld could be a feature.

Think I might try me hand at a bit o moddin when I get time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom