Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DayZ, a zombie mod for ArmA2 - Now standalone on Steam Early Access

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Caved in and got this thanks to all my friends suddenly wanting to play this. Does any codexer have the standalone version?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Eh, I've seen at least 5 of them just when I started up the game, right with "No 3rdPP" in description?

Also, the game is nice, atleast for someone who never got the mod back then. I read some tips in the thread and immedieately beelined away from the coast upon spawning. Ran quite some time up a mountain, spotted a city afar. Went there, scavenged houses, didnt find much except a motorcycle helmet, beans and water. Then I went into a house, into a room, I hear "click, click" and suddenly a guy pops infront of me, holding his rifle. APparently he wanted to shoot me, but was out of ammo? I "greeted" him with the F1 gesture, said I dont have anything on me, wished him luck and ran away. :D I was quite surprised I am still alive actually. He could have chopped me dead with that axe too.

F901026D23C3A8741804BE9038FBE843B3C6EE7C

And yeah, random char creation made me spawn as a nigrette. :/

Do the zombies still deal telekinetic damage and do they still clip and teleport through walls or other solid objects? Those were the two of the most basic problems I was looking forward to seeing resolved with the standalone.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yes. The standalone has so many bugs they aren't really worth listing. It's in early alpha for a reason.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Eh? I played 6 hours on full servers and only found one player, but plenty of zombies (who were responsible for my second death due to bleeding, yes yes I know thats embarassing)

The zombies have become aware and went into hiding due to mass-killing players.

There are zombies. They are just very few.

In other news, I recently watched Arma 3 DayZ videos and the controls and handling were so amazingly smooth. DayZ is still just a semi-functional Arma 2 mod stripped off everything else, which is very disappointing.

Eh? I played 6 hours on full servers and only found one player, but plenty of zombies (who were responsible for my second death due to bleeding, yes yes I know thats embarassing)

Do not underestimate the range of their telekinetic attacks.

DefJam101

Arcane
They don't exist.
Seems like the invisible hand of the free market has spoken.
The otherwise the neutral crowd will play on whatever server feels "safer" without actually thinking about it. They think third person servers will protect them from aggressive players, when in reality third person promotes camping and rampant player-killing, which is the exact thing everyone complains about.

So, yes, the free market has spoken, and as per usual, people are uninformed.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
They don't exist.
The otherwise the neutral crowd will play on whatever server feels "safer" without actually thinking about it. They think third person servers will protect them from aggressive players, when in reality third person promotes camping and rampant player-killing, which is the exact thing everyone complains about.

Again, this is bullshit, just by clicking on the DayZ symbol in Steam right now shows 5 servers with the no 3rdP rule enabled and 20-30 people on these servers. Pressing enter on them does nothing.
And I feel actually "safer" on servers with 1P only because I know others have the same "issue".

I still would like to play with one of you bros. :P

DefJam101

Arcane
They don't exist.

Again, this is bullshit, just by clicking on the DayZ symbol in Steam right now shows 5 servers with the no 3rdP rule enabled and 20-30 people on these servers. Pressing enter on them does nothing.
I assumed we were talking about the mod. :<

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I've watched some streams and I have yet to see a single zombie. Does everyone just play PvP or something?

Yeah, that turned me off. But it's just a mirror of reality. Most people would rather kill you than come together. An interesting challenge, but when looking for distraction & enjoyment in a game... nah, not so much.

It is not encouraging that revision of physics and collision is further down in their design roadmap. When your zombies are still walking through solid walls and objects and making telekinetic attacks, physics should have been your number one fucking priority, I think.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The standalone is really in too shit a state to be worth playing over the mod at this point, tbh. Considering they didn't have to write the engine from scratch, I'm amazed at just how little they've accomplished in over a year. Apparently they spent a lot of time working on the back-end, but considering core parts of their back-end such as loot and zombie spawns, physics and collision are not working properly yet it makes you wonder exactly how much time was spent working and how much time was spent trying to determine whose cumshots fly the furthest.

thesoup

Arcane
I still would like to play with one of you bros. :P
You should have played with us during the mod's heyday. We had a whole squad, a bunch of tents and vehicles and awesome gear. I'd get the standalone if I wasn't so broke right now and if I could assemble the old squad.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Guys and Dayz veterans, I need your help. While I was looking for that northeastern airfield, I basically got lost on the map and barely made it alive to some location where I could finally gear up a little. The problem is, though, I have no fucking idea where I am right now. I attached two screenshots of the farm ( ??? ) I am right now in the hopes someone could identify it and tell me roughly where I am on the map. I know, shitty question, but I am still new to this and dont want to die of dehydration by wandering aimlessly in the woods....

192ACDA10C6B94774FD4F47F0F1A075DBE1DC1F8

View to the main area where loot can be found in some garages.

It also has this strange tower thingy here infront of it...

2014-01-03_00002e1jno.jpg

SoupNazi

Northeastern? That looks like Grishino near NWAF, actually. Based on the barns and the water tower.

1vE8LAt.png

I don't know if it still works in Standalone (I guess it should), but in ArmA/DayZ, the clouds always go East - so look up at the sky, it's sometimes hard to tell, but you can tell the direction of where to go based on that. You should also look at the entrances to the town, there's always one of those welcome signs. It's in Cyrillic, but you can compare it with one of the maps that are available online.

Now that I think about it, you could also be near Berezhino, around Nizhnoye:
OUW7gKU.png

There is a farming complex that looks similar over there. However, I don't think there's a water tower there.

How far are you from the coast? In fact, if you can just tell me what is the last town/location you remember being in before you got lost.

I never played this, but I'd imagine being lost (as in "where the fuck am I", not "I know where everything is, but I don't know what to do") is a cool thing. You don't have much more of that in the age of automaps and quest compass. Can't you just find resources as you explore this unknown area?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks bro, that really helped! I indeed stray a bit too far away somehow. I managed to get to Gvodzno, back into "civilisation" and found more supplies and a shiny magnum with a few rounds. Really need a larger backpack before I will go to that damned airfield. Now I know where to go, so thanks again, the tip with the clouds was amazing!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I never played this, but I'd imagine being lost (as in "where the fuck am I", not "I know where everything is, but I don't know what to do") is a cool thing. You don't have much more of that in the age of automaps and quest compass. Can't you just find resources as you explore this unknown area?

Yep, I tried, but the map is vast, and especially in the northern part of the map there is very little houses or barns to loot. It is mostly just woods, for miles and miles ahead.

SoupNazi

Sometimes there are no clouds or they barely move, so then there's a harder but also effective way to tell directions. Based on the sun position and shadows if you have them enabled - it works exactly as it does IRL, so you just need a watch to know what the time is. Around noon, walking directly towards the sun will take you south. Otherwise, you just need to know whether it's rising or setting - then it obviously either takes you west or east.

I also recommend trying to learn and remember landmarks - i.e. that water tower, a big red barn, something quite apparent and obvious that tells you where you are if you ever go back through a location you've already visited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom