Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Goes Live

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Well,

I doubt that the mass of retarded fanboys posting in this community have the brain power to understand a logical statement (or even to read, it seems), but what LundB said actually makes sense.

I contributed to some kickstarter projects to show support for old-school games, although very likely some of them will turn out to be just shit, but contributing to this one is asking too much, after many years of broken promises (which, in a parallel development, generated the marvelous AoD demo).

And by the way, turn-based games are being made all the times, there are plenty of them (do an internet search), but most of them are just half-cooked piece of shit. So, if you just like to throw your money at any dumbfuck who promises you turn-based combat, go ahead. AoD has turn-based combat, isn’t that great?

Well,

I doubt that the mass of retarded fanboys posting in this community have the brain power to understand a logical statement (or even to read, it seems), but what LundB said actually makes sense.

I contributed to some kickstarter projects to show support for old-school games, although very likely some of them will turn out to be just shit, but contributing to this one is asking too much, after many years of broken promises (which, in a parallel development, generated the marvelous AoD demo).

And by the way, turn-based games are being made all the times, there are plenty of them (do an internet search), but most of them are just half-cooked piece of shit. So, if you just like to throw your money at any dumbfuck who promises you turn-based combat, go ahead. AoD has turn-based combat, isn’t that great?

Very edgy. :smug:

On a side note, why are you so certain it will be shit? Mitsoda has some experience in making the games that I like, and I like what I saw in the kickstarter video. So what is so shitty about this fucking game that generates so much hate???

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
... but contributing to this one is asking too much, after many years of broken promises (which, in a parallel development, generated the marvelous AoD demo).
Which promises were broken again?

So, if you just like to throw your money at any dumbfuck who promises you turn-based combat, go ahead.
I don't think that Brian can be described as 'any dumbfuck', but maybe that's just me.

AoD has turn-based combat, isn’t that great?
Still butthurt?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yeah, you're right. We get drowned in shitty TB Party RPGs every six months. Just like Biodrones.
Isn't Dead State "party-based" like Fallout? Like yeah you can have other people around and give them general commands to alter their behavior a bit, but no ability to micromanage.

That's not exactly true. In Fallout, you had some toggles to alter before combat. Here, you have commands you can make during combat, for the whole group or individual units. For the group you can tell them to rally at one point, to attack specific targets, just the undead, just humans, etc. For the units, you can tell them to guard a location,heal a character, stay close, defend a character, etc.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
And by the way, turn-based games are being made all the times, there are plenty of them (do an internet search), but most of them are just half-cooked piece of shit.

Do any have financial backing? I doubt it.

Funny how the only difference between what you guys call "crap" and the AAA games you worship, is heavy financial backing. Take the money and expensive tools away from the pros and what they produce as individuals, looks a lot like what you refer to as "crap". I have seen what they make in their spare time and while it impresses me, I know it wouldn't impress you at all.

The only difference between AAA and "crap" is money and Kickstarter is going to level the playing field.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
So you can't expect to just throw money at a project and have it be better. Especially if you don't care about graphics.

Its not just art, its the fancy tools the big studios use as well.

Take the money for art and plugins away from most AAA games and what do they have, that is so different from unfunded indie projects? The game play is roughly the same, it is only the presentation they have the edge on and that is all about money.

Legend of Grimrock "Build 001" Trailer

I like this video, because without the fancy art, Grimrock would have been dismissed, no matter how good its game play was. With the AAA art + that game play, Grimrock is a big hit.

Obviously they did not have the money of a AAA studio, but they were lucky to have a AAA artist to work for free. That is very rare. I'm sure they don't know how rare that is.

hiver

Tuning in to post that we're adding a wallpaper for all tiers and rad other shit as well that we're gonna be posting about AND I am paying attention to the thread but unless anyone has any questions to ask I'ma go back to lurking. Came to bring good tidings, now I'm back to attempting to get shit done WHEEE

(also major brofists to contributors, you guys are the best)

Yeah, i saw that in the update on the kickstarter page i saw after i wrote that post.
- what can i say... im telepathic... and awesome.

- doesnt need to be just one Wallpaper though. Adding signatures of the dev team and having some kind of "patron - backer version" written on it - in small nice themed letters and out of the way, would be a nice touch. Adding a few more versions over time as small surprises for backers would also be good thing to do. As would hiring that guy that made those awesome illustrations for AoD to make some really good ones.

Despite seeming contradictory to myself i think you shouldnt overdue with rewards, just make them better and more adjusted to tier levels.
Which is a normal thing to do since all of it is work in progress.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lundb and rk47 tune in to protect their egoes by saying - "no, no, thats not what we meant" and strawman-weasel out by going "i have a right not to give my money as i choose".
- and then say the exact same thing again.

:applause:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, you're right. We get drowned in shitty TB Party RPGs every six months. Just like Biodrones.
Isn't Dead State "party-based" like Fallout? Like yeah you can have other people around and give them general commands to alter their behavior a bit, but no ability to micromanage.

That's not exactly true. In Fallout, you had some toggles to alter before combat. Here, you have commands you can make during combat, for the whole group or individual units. For the group you can tell them to rally at one point, to attack specific targets, just the undead, just humans, etc. For the units, you can tell them to guard a location,heal a character, stay close, defend a character, etc.
I see, that last RPS interview made me think otherwise. But can I tell individual units to attack specific enemies?

So.... As fits a poster on the dex, imma kinda drank now,but

This project has been worked on for how many years now, and now suddenly they realize they need 150,000$$

Sry but this bodes bad for the project as a whole. The project was started before kickstarter was even known yeah? And no suddenly they go OOOPS IMMA NEED A COUPLE TENS OF THOUSAND DOLLARS BROS sorry but this doesnt inspire confidance in the project

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
herostratus it wasn't so much "suddenly" as it was "Hmm we can get this done a lot faster if we could hire some full time people." Faster being by December 2013 otherwise we're looking at another Grimoire/AoD.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
2. Will we even manufacture new weapons by combining every day stuff like Dead Rising? E.g Baseball Bat + Box of Nails.

I haven't played Dead Rising but the stuff in Dead Island (which is where Bat + Nails was) was fucking retarded. What would could you even combine to fight zombies?

If you've played Jagged Alliance, you'd know there's plenty of mundane stuff you could combine to do some special stuff.
It's not far fetched to imagine someone having some kind of mechanical skill to do some interesting stuff with the salvage they pick up.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I know exactly what you're saying, but no matter how you dress it up it's still a fairly simple blobber that has zero appeal to me.

I didn't say it was a good game, I said without good art, it would not be a hit. Same as any mindless AAA shooter would not sell, without their multi-million dollar presentation.

By that kind of logic a billion dollar movie budget makes for a good movie. But usually they are terrible movies aimed at teenagers if they have budgets like that.

Yes, I agree with you.

Then there's also the issue of how well will these projects do at managing a big budget. So you have a million bucks, what now? It's very easy to waste money, especially if you've never ran a business or managed employees.

Yes, they are going to have to pay careful attention to the budget. I read an article, where a Kickstarter project promised too much in the rewards, neglected to take other costs into account and by the end of the Kickstarter, did not have anywhere near what they needed to finish the game.

So you need to look at each individual project and ask if it's something you might like, and fund accordingly, discriminatingly. I'm sure there's going to be a hundred times the kickstarters in the future for games we might like on paper. But simply running off some checkboxes like "turn based" and using a bunch of buzzwords doesn't mean it's going to turn out good or even like you expect. For that you need a track record, and not just of writing or art but of gameplay you can look at.

I have only pledged to two projects at this point. This one and Wasteland 2. I backed this one based on what I saw in Bloodlines. If I did not like the story and dialogue in Bloodlines, I would not have backed it.

You can't just throw money out there and make a classic awesome game, or else there's be hundreds of them, and I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by many of the games that do get funded. Not everything comes together into a great game.

I want to see what can be done without interference from non-creative types. Will artists go off the deep end, into self indulgence, or will they make fantastic things? Really, the system that was in place before Kickstarter, did not work at all. It was unable to produce anything I care about. As far as I'm concerned, it is broken and can't be fixed. Its time to try something else.

MCA
If you've played Jagged Alliance, you'd know there's plenty of mundane stuff you could combine to do some special stuff.
It's not far fetched to imagine someone having some kind of mechanical skill to do some interesting stuff with the salvage they pick up.

I wouldn't say plenty but indeed. I thought of weapon crafting only.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
HEY BROS I'MA ANSWER RK47's QUESTIONS NOW CUZ HE PUT EM IN A NICE BULLET LIST

1. Can I expect some kind of effects on the enemies? I'm talking like for example, using a fire extinguisher/molotov cocktail on a pack of zombies?
D'you mean... fire effects, or just plain being able to set people on fire? Cuz BOTH. You can definitely set some dude on fire in the game. Also we have rad status effects like Blind and Dizzy, and potentially for our first Stretch Goal weapon we have a jar of acid, so JAR.OF.ACID.OMG.

2. Will we even manufacture new weapons by combining every day stuff like Dead Rising? E.g Baseball Bat + Box of Nails.
Not in quite so loose of terms (which is to say IRL if you put a nail in a bat, you're really actually messing up the bat and not making it more effective). You'll be able, however, to make more specialized weapon upgrades, like silencers for pistols and crafting shields, and you can make armor. We don't have upgrades for melee weapons because there's not much that realistically you can DO with many melee weapons to make them better, and to make them feel like a satisfying upgrade.
(HOWEVER WITH THAT IN MIND we do have things like parts you can scavenge, and these do things like help upgrade elements of the shelter, and creating things like a better fence, extra gas tanks on a vehicle, etc. So people who are crazy-go-nuts for crafting will still have plenty of dope things to put together.)

3. Can we retreat from combat since these zombies are slow? Note: I cannot do this in Age of Decadence.
Yup. Some of those zombies might follow you back to the Shelter if you attracted a whole lot of them, just sayin.

4. Do we control EVERY single character of the party and their outfitting? Or are these guys AI control that follows the custom made protagonist?
Totally what Elhoim said! Also you can equip them how you want.

HEY NOW OTHER STUFF

Hiver - totes read our minds about the wallpapers, bro. I'm kinda surprised about wanting signatures on it - for srs? Can I get a response from forumgoers on who else might like this? If it's something multiple people dig on, I'll bounce it around to the team and see what we can do about making that happen.

EVERYONE - we posted our first stretch goal - $180K - and it's about what new weapons you'd like to see included. We've got a poll on our forums about what ones you'd like to see. (Personally I love the sickle and the JAR OF ACID but that is just me.) Expect more rad updates of awesome radness really soon.

KEEP ASKIN QUESTIONS I LOVE EEEEEEEEEET

(oh god can't stop using caps it's like Blobert's in my head NO STOP GET OUT OF THERE AIEEEEEEEEEEEE)

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
It's been a looooooooong week, RK, what can I say. I haven't even had anything to drink, I'm just hyped. Also ENTHUSIASM CAPSLOCK!

Fezzik

Cipher
New update both on the forum and on Kickstarter. It'll be cool if the physical items they're now offering attract more people to the higher tiers and get their dollars per pledge figure to a healthier level.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New update both on the forum and on Kickstarter. It'll be cool if the physical items they're now offering attract more people to the higher tiers and get their dollars per pledge figure to a healthier level.

It made me up to the $250 level, but man even being a sucker for old school box copies this is getting wayyyyyyyy too expensive!!

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Well,

I did not make my point clear. I have absolutely not hate or any other forms or negative feelings against Brian or VD or the entire DoubleBear Production. Actually, I wish them well and I will buy their games if they (a) will emerge from fantasyland and vaporware and (b) they are above the average of the many horrible turn-based games produced at the moment (I am playing two right now and well, let's just say I am tempted to go back to FNV). And, on the same note, I have never said or wanted to imply that Brian is a dumbfuck. I was just making the case that assuming that codexian have the moral duty to support ANY turn-based game, not matter how good it is, (as LundB was arguing), is a very silly proposition.

That said, I am happy that the Kickstarter camping for DS is going so well, let's see if in 2-3 years the game will be any good, and if it is I will gladly spend my $50 (adjusted by inflation).

And for the kind heart of your personal God, would you all stop using that 'butthurt' shit? It is NOT edgy, I assume at least some of you are grown men / women. Come on....

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Which promises were broken again?

For starter, it was promised to be an RPG.

Then, it was promised to stop the (at that time) irreversible decline of RPGs.

Also, it was promised to be out on a Thursday (and I am pretty sure by 2035 the names of days of the week will be changed).

Finally, it was promised to make us all better people, and I know for sure that did not happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom