Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The giant spider said it best. It's all about the boring rule set to me. that's why I find kingmaker so much more satisfying, because it uses a real ruleset that you can sink your teeth into. PoE is all about balance and it does not feel like you can create a really unique and interesting character that could be overpowered or even underpowered. It's just a boring rule set.

Thing is, the ruleset is not boring at all. And the balance is just a ridiculous meme. There is lots of OP stuff in there. You can build ridiculous, immortal builds just fine. Or rabid killers made of wet tissue paper. Or anything in between. There is great variety. You have resource limited classes and you have resource regenerating classes. You can wipe whole screens using one single ability.
Also, the itemization is the best a computer game has ever seen.

It just seems there are lots of DnD fanatics who can't see gold, even if you throw a piece of gold ore at them.
Sure its not perfect. Nothing I know is. But its pretty damn great for what it is.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The giant spider said it best. It's all about the boring rule set to me. that's why I find kingmaker so much more satisfying, because it uses a real ruleset that you can sink your teeth into. PoE is all about balance and it does not feel like you can create a really unique and interesting character that could be overpowered or even underpowered. It's just a boring rule set.

Thing is, the ruleset is not boring at all. And the balance is just a ridiculous meme. There is lots of OP stuff in there. You can build ridiculous, immortal builds just fine. Or rabid killers made of wet tissue paper. Or anything in between. There is great variety. You have resource limited classes and you have resource regenerating classes. You can wipe whole screens using one single ability.
Also, the itemization is the best a computer game has ever seen.

It just seems there are lots of DnD fanatics who can't see gold, even if you throw a gold ore at them.
Sure its not perfect. Nothing I know is. But its pretty damn great for what it is.
for me, it is too derivative of DnD classes and archetypes. it would be cooler if they truly make something more original. like tyranny's magic system for example, despite i like combat in deadfire more, if they use and modify tyranny's system since the beginning it would be alot more interesting. instead we get copyright free DnD.

altho i agree, the hate towards PoE is by whiny manchildren. like everything PoE offends them or something, it's weird, it's stupid.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's familiar, yet different. Computer DnD games didn't have Ciphers, Chanters are a very different flavor of the "Bard" archetype, Rangers weren't really the masters of Accuracy. DnD games had nothing like Barring the Death's Door or Salvation of Time effects.
Also prior to Kingmaker, the martials had a generally very limited pool of active tools at their disposal (barring some niche titles, like ToEE or KotC), while PoE/Deadfire gave them plenty to do and finally made them interesting and fun to play.

But I agree, a game with an improved spell system from Tyranny would be awesome! I loved that aspect of Tyranny...

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ciphers, Chanters
and yeah, these are the 2 classes that stood out, and they are completely original.
the martials had a generally very limited pool of active tools at their disposal
this is actually a good point yeah. monks in PoE plays out really different too than in their DnD counterparts. the modals for each weapon style is also good, at least some of them. there are useless ones, but yeah.

the good part of PoE really is when they try to be original instead of copying baldur's gate.

Loostreaks

Learned
It can't be a clone if it's older than it, dumb-ass. Hell, even your own shitty polls are more interesting than the actual game.

user

Savant
On topic - level design/art-wise it is an amazing city. That's all it (and DF in general) has going for it though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom