Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dear nazi douchebags, (or: no-ban policy has been revoked)

spacemoose

Erudite
well I don't think this is so cool. what happened to letting the trolls hang themselves? TNP has done an admirable job of it. reading his ridiculous parroting of neo-nazi dogma was actually pretty fun in a imagine-what-kind-of-shitty-life-this-guy-must-have. part of what's great about this place is exactly that you can say anything about anything

hopefully this doesn't extend into new rules added over time, because that would strangle the codex into just another bland rpg-news site. unless you guys are aiming for that, but I hope you're not.

obediah

Erudite
I hope none of the admins are fatties, or I'm gonna get banned for sure.

I don't hate any groups, but stereotypes, true or not, are a fucking joke goldmine. Since serious discussion of RPGs can account for 3-4 posts a month these days. dispair-squashing humour is rampant - so I'll be spending all my time in bannination limbo.

Müg

Scholar
did anyone read that 3 page essay roqua wrote? I tried but my vision blurred. I saw something about RPGs, FPS, 12 year olds and quite possibly anal rape, though I'm not sure those last two are in the same sentence.

sheek

Arbiter
He said that there's a lot dumber shit than racism on this site, and that maybe, as an RPG site, getting rid of non-RPG fans might have higher priority.

Nedrah

Erudite
Now THAT's retarded. Seriously. Childish ingruop/outgroup bitching. It's not like people with different taste and oppinions were sometimes even necessary to develop one's own mind in unxpected areas or anything.

Besides:

I agree with the racist-idiot baning, but...
What about people calling us poor germans nazis for nothing? Will they be banned, too?

Mr Happy

Scholar
Nedrah said:
Now THAT's retarded. Seriously. Childish ingruop/outgroup bitching. It's not like people with different taste and oppinions were sometimes even necessary to develop one's own mind in unxpected areas or anything.

Um, you might want to read it again.

Calis

Pensionado
Roqua said:
First the cliffnotes. If I'm reading your post correctly, you're saying that 1) this issue is symptomatic of a larger problem (self-righteous circle-jerk instead of actual discussion on RPG's) which needs to be combated rather than the symptoms and 2) there are other symptoms just as worthy of being combated.

Re: Piracy: I've PM'd people to not do that stuff in the past (and have edited out links), but you're right, we've grown lenient in that over the past two years or so. Not a bad idea to take a more rigorous stance on editing out warez links.
Re: sophomoric stuff / fundamental reasons: Unfortunately, I have no idea where to begin in combating this. I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be though.
Basically, we can't turn any problems you mentioned - perceived or otherwise - around overnight, and need to tread lightly to avoid wrecking what made this site worthwhile to begin with. I don't believe the solution you propose - a harsher, more honest reaction to any and all who sprout sycophantic crap - is possible to implement or force upon this forum by the management. The obvious way to start, for me, is to crack down on the symptoms most easiliy identified. This is one of them.

By the way, chalk me up with the "rarely plays RPG's" (or other games) crowd; the reason I stick around is, well, I have trouble letting go of stuff I helped build. But then again, you don't see me going around claiming I'm some kind of expert, so I guess the shoe doesn't quite fit. For me personally, RPG Codex has always been about one thing, and one thing alone: having seen how "professional" online gaming journalism works, I wanted to be part of an independent effort to do it better.

@Spacemoose: That's why we waited so long in doing this. We *do* realize that any kind of a harsher banning policy threats the entire "say what you want" principle, but felt that acceptance of certain crap crosses the line as well as annoying us, personally. Believe it or not, The Management (tm) would prefer the RPGCodex/Tacticular Cancer forum community to stay fun for *them*, as well.

@Obediah: The intention was not to crack down on jokes that are politically incorrect. The intention was to give off the message that we're no longer prepared to show the universal restraint in using the ban-button that we have in the past.

@Cronstadt: Nobody, as far as I know; I like giving warning that the rules have changed before banning. I also like making blanket statements such as this rather than PM'ing back and forth with people.

Nedrah said:
I agree with the racist-idiot baning, but...
What about people calling us poor germans nazis for nothing? Will they be banned, too?
Depends.
"Nedrah, you gestapo scumbag, (reaction to post)" -> not grounds for ban.
"Fruity theory on how Germany is poised to erupt in 21st century Fourth Reich goodness" -> might be grounds for ban.

Joe Krow

Erudite
I think the problem is one of orginization. Keep the "General Discussion" shit where it belongs and off the front page. Why is that not done? This is an RPG site. The message and intent is lost under all this crap.

Calis

Pensionado
Shit we don't want on our forum is shit we don't want on our forum, irregardless of whether or not it shows on the front page.

Nedrah

Erudite
sheek said:
He said that there's a lot dumber shit than racism on this site, and that maybe, as an RPG site, getting rid of non-RPG fans might have higher priority.

So, how do I need to read that again, unless it was simply misquoted?

Mr Happy

Scholar
I meant roqua's post (And I’m not including people who have different tastes or ideas on what a good rpg is or should be..)

sheek

Arbiter
I think the issue Roqua was raising is this:

-Why is the 'fight against racism' being taken up by you moderators?

-Saying 'we don't like racism' isn't an answer.

-My guess is that you think that it's bad 'socially' for the RPGCodex. It creates an atmosphere you don't like or don't think is good for the website as a whole.

-Which raises the question, why does it matter?

-Why do we care what kind of atmosphere there is or what kind of posts there are in General Discussion?

-I personally see GD as a frustration release device, an officially sanctioned spam zone which hopefully empties out spam from other, serious, boarsd.

-Is the RPGCodex a place to socialize and discuss current affairs/personal issues/random crap or a place to discuss RPGs?

-The issue for me isn't GD, it's the other forums... what gets to me is the stupid crap that is posted in RPG News and RPG Discussion. Threads about non-RPGs, dumb GD-style 'in-jokes', thread hijacks, and petty bitch-fights that harm the quality of RPG Discussion.

-What are your priorities?

-As an RPG site, shouldn't you be taking care of the RPG forums first, and General Discussion last?

In summary: I'd be OK with more active, severe moderating in the important forums, and leave GD as it is, as a frustration outlet, and moron-magnet helping to keep serious forums decontiminated. Kind of like real world policing, you have a two-pronged approach, knowing that zero-crime is utopian, you tolerate petty crime in the already crime-infested ghettoes and focus your resources in keeping upper-class residential areas crime free.

Calis

Pensionado
sheek said:
I think the issue Roqua was raising is this:
I don't
sheek said:
-Why is the 'fight against racism' being taken up by you moderators?

-Saying 'we don't like racism' isn't an answer.
This isn't a fight against racism, this is a fight against fruity theories popping up all over the place. And yes, it's an answer.
sheek said:
-My guess is that you think that it's bad 'socially' for the RPGCodex. It creates an atmosphere you don't like.

-Which raises the question, why does it matter?
It's our god damn back yard.
sheek said:
-Why do we care what kind of atmosphere there is or what kind of posts there are in General Discussion?

-I personally see GD as a frustration release device, an officially sanctioned spam zone which hopefully empties out spam from other, serious, boarsd.
Well, I don't.
sheek said:
-Is the RPGCodex a place to socialize and discuss current affairs/personal issues/random crap or a place to discuss RPGs?

-The issue for me isn't GD, it's the other forums... what gets to me is the stupid crap that is posted in RPG News and RPG Discussion. Threads about non-RPGs, dumb GD-style 'in-jokes', thread hijacks, and petty bitch-fights that harm the quality of RPG Discussion.
Agreed. I posted this shit here because it looked like the best place to post it, not because it applies only to GD.
sheek said:
-What are your priorities?

-As an RPG site, shouldn't you be taking care of the RPG forums first, and General Discussion last?

In summary: I'd be OK with more active, severe moderating in the serious forums, and leave GD as it is, as a frustration outlet, and moron-magnet helping to keep serious forums decontiminated. Kind of like real world policing, you have a two-pronged approach, knowing that zero-crime is utopian, you tolerate petty crime in the already crime-infested ghettoes and focus your resources in keeping upper-class residential areas crime free.
Fuck that. One forum system, one ruleset.
Just so we're clear on this: this does NOT apply just to GD, this is something that belongs in GD because it affects the entire forum structure here, TCancer, Codex, and rest. Didn't have a better place to post it, so it goes in here.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
My 2 cents.

Personally I don't care if we have Nazi douchebags, Zionist agents, Muslim terrorists, Commie bastards, Jesus freaks, console players, and people who think that Oblivion was a great RPG.

I like a good debate, and if someone wants to present convincing, well thought through arguments inviting me to support the upcoming Fourth Reich, I'll be more than happy to participate in such a debate and treat the Nazi side with utmost respect. I do have a problem with [stupid] people posting dumb crap, mindlessly repeating what they've read on the internet, either refusing to support their position with arguments or lacking the mental capacity to do so. The question is do we need people like that around? I'd say no, which is why I'm supporting "the Calis initiative".

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Was Roqua the one that a while back proposed a 500 question test to register, or was that some other dipshit?

Nedrah

Erudite
Whatever, the whole "let's be fucking edgy and increase e-penis rating by pretending to be (/being) dumb redneck nazis" was geting old, so let's simply welcome our not so new banhamer overlords.

Mr Happy, got you wrong there, I was in a bit of a hurry.

Calis, I see the difference, works for me.

Oh, and the quick reply isn't working for me, but you propably know about the problem (if it isn't just me, that is)

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
This new policy is a failure of the free market caused by the Zionist conspiracy to create global warming.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
By the way, chalk me up with the "rarely plays RPG's" (or other games) crowd; the reason I stick around is, well, I have trouble letting go of stuff I helped build. But then again, you don't see me going around claiming I'm some kind of expert, so I guess the shoe doesn't quite fit. For me personally, RPG Codex has always been about one thing, and one thing alone: having seen how "professional" online gaming journalism works, I wanted to be part of an independent effort to do it better.

Calis,

You also don’t enter game threads and rephrase what the last guy said in your own retarded way, while never having an idea of what is being talked about. You know what you know and are comfortable with that. Even though you aren’t huge into games now, do you add or take way from this site? You add to it. The scores of idiots that post by the droves don't like rpgs and don't add to the site. My post isn't about having a rigid idea on what rpgs should be or are, Ghan Burgandy is debating VD in another thread about FO3. I disagree with Ghan 100%, but he is making actual points from actual knowledge of actual rpgs which is a genre that he actually likes. Yes, he has extremely poor taste in games for the most part, but he adds to this site, where as most people here (including me for the last long while) take away from the site. I have no reason not to. It seems as long as I don't say something too racist I won't get in trouble. And since the vast majority of posters here have no idea what they are talking about and I fucking despise them, why shouldn't I add to the idiocracy? If they annoy me why shouldn't I try my hardest to annoy them? To be the bigger person? I'm King of the Dumbfucks for crying out loud, being the bigger person isn't what I do.

This site has been taken over by the lemmings who stick around just to say stupid shit and like the idea of belonging to some sort of community that they think will make them stand out when they post on whatever other large gaming site they post on that is dedicated to fps’s and other rubbish. Its like the furries of the rpg community.

The big difference, as I see it, between the codex and the watch, is that the people at the watch post there because they like rpgs (no matter how wrong and poor their taste’s are, or they might think they like rpgs) and the average poster here posts here because they can be an idiot, regardless of if they like rpgs or not.

Most posters here have gone years (or at least the couple months since they joined)without saying anything useful or adding to this site or community in any way. When’s the last time I said anything that added anything significant to a rpg discussion here? In order not to be a hypocrite, and to selflessly pave the way for this site becoming respectable again and not a safe haven for retarded children saying, posting, and linking to stupid shit, all while knowing absolutely nothing about rpgs, I am volunteering to ban myself permanently from this site.

I guess this means I lost the war and that the system won, but it was a pretty gay war and no one seemed to get my jokes anyway. See you bitches around.

sheek

Arbiter
Most posters here have gone years (or at least the couple months since they joined)without saying anything useful or adding to this site or community in any way. When’s the last time I said anything that added anything significant to a rpg discussion here? In order not to be a hypocrite, and to selflessly pave the way for this site becoming respectable again and not a safe haven for retarded children saying, posting, and linking to stupid shit, all while knowing absolutely nothing about rpgs, I am volunteering to ban myself permanently from this site.
Same here. I'm doing it for myself, the Codex has done all it can for me at the moment, and the longer I stay the more I'll become just another fps bitch. Time to move on to better and higher things (RPGWatch). When (or if) this site becomes a serious place to talk about RPGs I'll return.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Dumbfucks. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom