Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Twenty Nine - Conservative Christmas

Discussion in 'MP Gaming' started by Isiloon, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Infinitum Scholar

Infinitum
    Mod! Mod! Mod! Als8 happy new years!

^ Top  
  2. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    We have a split with a couple people saying they won't play with the mod.

I'm of the opinion that - Dominions is great because of the abundance of content, however most of us have seen most of it, without DE - there's certain things, that are "meta" e.g. vine shield, elves and certain things that are not that good, like Fire magic and most human nations.

It doesn't change the game fundamentally, it just gives you more toys.

^ Top  
  3. Infinitum Scholar

Infinitum
    Welp. Anyhow, I'm not currently in any games so we could get this one started as well as a mod one? Also not adverse to having the mod one being a smaller game; something like 4 players.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    "Decline 29" Nice band name.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Olinser Savant

Olinser
    Well I can go ahead and post signups for the 2 person teams game I was talking about for those interested in an unmodded game? Probably be a week at least before I can really start but we can get signups going. I'll make a new thread now. EDIT - Thread is up.

As far as mods go - it's not the idea of mods that I don't like, it's that fundamentally you're having to learn the balance of a different game, and most mod creators are NOT GOOD at balancing entire games, so they dramatically unbalance it in favor of their pet race/character/spells/playstyles. I'm just not interested in learning how mods change the games, so I just ignore mod games.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    I reconsidered. Still playing Yomi and exepcting to die early.

^ Top  
  7. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    Infinitum - join the game I posted Discord link earlier, quickly before i have to host.

It starts tomorrow.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dayyālu Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Dayyālu
    What the fuck is a Discord link

SILENCE THE DISCORD

Ok.

Considering that Olinser starts a Disciple game with more fresh blood for us to join, I guess we can proceed with this modded. I'll need more time to check what changes with TNN in the mod, and Isiloon you should refresh the OP with mod&map links and a proper game link.

Let's avoid other platforms, it's already difficult to organize a single game here.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    Infinitum please resend your pretender with DE 1.41 enabled.

THIS IS A DOMINIONS ENHANCED GAME
    :dance:

^ Top  
  10. Infinitum Scholar

Infinitum
    :yeah:

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    aaaaaaand since it's a DE game, I'll switch to Xibalba since I'm already Pan in another DE game and Xib gets some cool new pretender options.

^ Top  
  12. sqeecoo Arcane

sqeecoo
    Well, looking at the DM mod, it seems to have:
    • Over 1,000 new units!
    • Over 1,000 new spells!
    That's way, way more than I care to try to figure out right now, so I'll pass on this one. You guys have fun and please don't flip-flop again :)

^ Top  
  13. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    don't try to figure it out lol, just let go of being h4rdc0re meta pro g4m3r and play.

come on, what's a codex game without Sqeecoo

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. sqeecoo Arcane

sqeecoo
    Ah, I guess you are right. I'll try the jinn, the desert spirits of honesty and forthrightness.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    ^ Top  
  16. Dayyālu Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Dayyālu
    No.

I am completely exhausted and I didn't even check the mod. I will provide when I will reanimate, roughly in 8-10 hours. If I reanimate.

But I didn't kill anyone, so all is good.

^ Top  
  17. sqeecoo Arcane

sqeecoo
    The Jinn are stupid OP, although cool. Instead I'll take the weakish aborigines, cause I like the Dreamlands myth and the Maori. Didn't notice them initially.

For this game, I'll adopt the Maori mentality depicted below:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  18. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    ugh, Maori.

The Jinn guys aren't stupidly OP, they are about as good as Elves/Giants etc IMO

^ Top  
  19. sqeecoo Arcane

sqeecoo
    They have regular troops with stunning attacks and armor piercing bowmen competent in melee; they have extremely massable (extremely low res and rec cost) chaff with two attacks nearly on par with Pan's revelers; extremely cheap research monkeys and blood hunters that make them a fully-fledged blood vampire nation, and reasonably priced evocation mages with decent paths (F2 or A2).

All of that in addition to thugging and sacred stuff on par with the elves. I don't know how much they changed the basic nations, but they are basically vanheim with none of the disadvantages (poor blood hunting, poor research efficiency, very pricey battlemages, poor lategame). I really like the lore, but it feels super OP.

On the other hand the Aborigines are a bit silly and maybe UP with their insistence on not wearing any armor :D

^ Top  
  20. Infinitum Scholar

Infinitum
    Not one to argue with 22 Precision ranged attacks, but the Jinn troops looks kind of weak if anything. No armor/ethereal and lowish defense means they have no staying power and no mitigation whatsoever vs ranged attacks. Also resist shock/fire blesses are abundant and utterly wrecks them. The ghul looks decent, especially the cheapo 2-path sorcerers and the Viziers look like decent thugs but I'm not sure if they can carry the nation by themselves.

That said Alchera just looks like it has literally nothing going for it (except maybe the 20 natural armor thug) so good luck with that :salute:

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitum Scholar

Infinitum
    GUIDE TO SUCCEED IN DECLINE GAMES IN THREE EASY STEPS

STEP 1: SIGN UP TO THE GAME
    STEP 2: ???? ??????? ????????
    ??? ?? ???? ?? ??? ??????? ?? ?

^ Top  
  22. Olinser Savant

Olinser
    Step 3: PROFIT!

^ Top  
  23. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    [​IMG]
    IT'S TIME! I AM READY! (Playing EA C'Tis which is Heat 2 Preference)

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    You could at least take Heat 3 which will hurt other people more than it hurts you, and use the 'free' 40 points on boosting your dominion or getting a better chassis/bless - although on Ctis you dont really need bless.

It also means that even in winter, your lands will always be warm, since cold blooded gives you some stupid crazy fatigue penalties in the cold

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    ^ Top  
  25. Isiloon Arcane Patron

Isiloon
    I changed the map to Steamed babies, because the map that was there didn't have a download link

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.