Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Der Geisterturm - second cyberpunk wireframe dungeon crawler from Graverobber Foundation

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
DGT updated to v1.0.9
Update v1.0.9 Released
Difficulty settings and minor bugfixes.

This update adds difficulty settings to the game and a few additional bugfixes. You can find the description of each difficulty level below.
  • Easy difficulty: the player character takes 70% of the base damage. Intended to give new players more time to learn and adapt.
  • Normal difficulty: the default difficulty.
  • Hard difficulty: the player character takes 120% of the base damage. Intended for seasoned veterans who mastered the game and seek additional challenge (or suffering).
Changelog:
  • Added difficulty settings to the game configuration.
  • Fixed incorrect spawning position of explosions if the attack from the explosive weapon was evaded by the target.
  • Additional fixes to pathfinding.
  • Engine upgrade (2018.4.9 -> 2018.4.21).
Note: the difficulty mode is stored in the configuration file rather than savegames, which means you can quit to main menu, adjust the difficulty, and then load the save to continue playing with the new difficulty settings.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
DGT updated to 1.1.0.
Update v1.1.0 Released
New enemy types, minor story events, gamepad support, and more
Dear Players,

At last, the 1.1.0 update is available. After listening to your feedback, we've worked hard on improving the game and adding new things in the process. You can find the detailed changelog below:

Additions
  • Two new enemy types: Penetrator and Phantom
  • New attack types (fire modes) for existing enemies
  • New optional events and logs to expand the story (and give a hint on how to progress)
  • Rudimentary gamepad support. Now you can move using the left analog stick, use the D-pad to operate the menu, and use the right stick to switch the ram response. The remaining keys can be mapped using the key rebinding menu

Fixes
  • Fixed incorrect VSync option (Every Second VBlank)
  • Fixed rare cases where certain line graphics would fail to load properly
  • Fixed an AI issue where melee-only units would be too defensive at low DC
  • Fixed several incorrect decals in the puzzle tunnels @ Floor 13
  • Fixed incorrect initialization of anti-aliasing settings

Tweaks
  • Reworked random encounters to improve encounter variety
  • Adjusted random encounter logic: the encounters will no longer be triggered in the same spot
  • Adjusted encounter rate
  • Increased the false alarm chance for random encounters
  • Improved menu system and game options
  • Improved reticle placement to fit the target
  • Adjusted stats of tutorial robots and certain enemies

Other
  • Engine upgrade (2018.4.21 -> 2018.4.23)

NOTE: Due to the addition of new events and changes to the encounters, you might want to start a new game to experience these changes from the very beginning.

NOTE FOR GAMEPAD USERS: The gamepad axes can be reconfigured by holding ALT while starting the game and selecting the Input tab in the launcher. The 'Submit' and 'Cancel' options in this tab should be ignored, as they aren't used by the game, but their presence is required by the UI system in Unity Engine.

Thank you for your support and enjoy your time climbing the Turm der Wiederkehr.
--RS
Tweed is a happy panda now and has to make a negative review, where he spends at least 2 hours talking about how the gamepad support dumbed things down and how the new encounters and enemy types are too hard for him.

lightbane

Arcane
Are melee weapons a thing by now, or is technology in the future still not advanced enough to have giant robots wield a knife? :P
I suppose I have more reasons to play this now... Once I have enough time to do so. :negative:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Are melee weapons a thing by now, or is technology in the future still not advanced enough to have giant robots wield a knife? :P
I suppose I have more reasons to play this now... Once I have enough time to do so. :negative:
That's outside of the scope of this update, since the base design, like in DGS, is focused on ranged combat and ramming is a last resort/quick way to dish out more damage but losing some durability.

The next game has melee weapons implemented and working pretty well, although they are also limited as a last resort weapon/quick way to dish out a lot of damage by sacrificing energy.

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Good job on releasing a Demo - even if it's 10 months after release - I'm still old school in that regard and like playing Demos instead of watching youtube videos/streams before making purchases of games that might interest me.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Update 1.1.1 released.
Changelog:
  • Fixed an issue where entities would be presumed dead if their DC was between 0 and 1% of their max DC.
  • Fixed minor pathfinding issues.
  • Tweaked the ATTACK command -- now attempts to attack with insufficient ammo no longer end the current turn.
  • Minor adjustments to enemy stats.

In addition, a demo is now available on Steam and Itch.

Good job on releasing a Demo - even if it's 10 months after release - I'm still old school in that regard and like playing Demos instead of watching youtube videos/streams before making purchases of games that might interest me.
Thanks. I thought about releasing a demo right after the release of the base game, but decided to take time to improve it before pushing forward with this idea. I do hope that I'll be able to release demos before the full release in the future.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Finally beat this game! Whoo!
62q5Rne.png
It took me a billion years to get to the top floor, but it was very much worth it.
zapFiIP.png
Didn't have any combat on that floor. Mostly your friends and comrades saying how happy they are to see you back. Then the captain telling you that your reward for surviving the tower, is being sent into deep space where you'll be sleeping. Until you are needed to be activated to guard the company's most deepest secrets - gee thanks.
B5tsCzw.png
Anyways, the game was great. There were a couple of puzzles that stomped me. The maze frustrated me a bit. Then I realized to keep a track on the eye markings, that's how you manage to get out. But I had to go back into the maze find a switch to disable the forcefield on the next floor. In which event, I ended up bashing every door I came across. Only to finally realize it's not really a maze, the gimmick is that the doors actually switch on you! Evil design!

Another riddle that frustrated me a bit was the teleporters. However, to understand how they work. You have to read a short story.
HTfj50E.png
The key things are: a woman with a tattoo on her eye. A girl by herself. And a man with six fingers. That basically boils down to the numbers 2 = the number of eyes on the woman. 1 = the girl by herself. 6 = the number of fingers on the guy's hand. Only, remember, it's reversed. So it's 612. Then you go through the teleporters marked 6, then 1, then 2, Then you're finally home free to advance. Yeah, that took me a while to figure out on my own.

Very good game. Felt like I was playing System Shock at times. Constantly being low on ammo. Not sure if I had enough to survive through the next fight. Constantly looking for supplies. The kick ass music playing during the whole thing. It was fantastic! The game was about ten or so hours, give or take. Quite short. Highly recommend though.
O9xlSVH.png

Oh yeah, if the developer is still here. What were the formerstates up to? There was a document that said they were doing some mysterious stuff in an unknown sector.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay boss. I wrote a steam review. I hope that helps with your games visibility. I'll probably take a look at Das Geisterschiff next.

>You'll learn in future games, but not in the next one.
Aw man. I feel like some real big stuff was happening outside the ghost tower. Ah well.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Okay boss. I wrote a steam review. I hope that helps with your games visibility. I'll probably take a look at Das Geisterschiff next.

>You'll learn in future games, but not in the next one.
Aw man. I feel like some real big stuff was happening outside the ghost tower. Ah well.
Don't worry, this big stuff won't go anywhere and you'll get to experience it sooner or later (unless I go out of business). Thanks for the review!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
It took me a long time to process the whole shebang and put it into words, but the postmortem is up. If you were wondering what was going on behind the scenes, this is a nice opportunity to learn things.

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:
I'm playing this these days, and probably one of the few people doing so. If I had the choice to see a LP or a playthrough somewhere, I would do so immediately. So far the game is not fun, it's frustrating in a bad way. Everything is too much of a labyrinth, and there's little to distinguish areas unlike the first game, everything is too same-y. Enemies' behaviour is inconsistent, with these opening doors at will except when they don't, and instead roam around before inevitably going back to your position no matter how hard you try to stand still to hide, so the advice for hiding that the game provides doesn't really work. Luring enemies to mines doesn't seem to work anymore, as they learned to shoot them down. What I don't know is if that results in increasing the encounter rate as it does when you do that, or not. I also would like to know if burst weapons like the SMG do the damage told in the description if all bullets hit, or if it's per bullet.
What's the explosion range of the charged laser? I believe it's 1 tile like the bazooka, but I'm not sure.

I defeated the first boss (or rather, walked back and lured the enemies one-by-one to me), and I got to the level where flying mines are introduced. How is it determined when you do push away an enemy by ramming and when you do not? It's a bit inconsistent as sometimes the enemy is pushed away but sometimes it doesn't work.

I'll see if I can muster the will to finish this, or skip to the 3rd game already.

Atmosphere is good as usual, although weaker than the first one due how sterile everything looks. It's also dumb story-wise that the corporation has a gigantic death-maze to "test" freshly revived veteran agents, complete with countless killbots + traps + rooms for working staff hidden here and there, instead of simply shoving them into a simulator. Unless it's a simulation already (again).
Then again this doesn't compare to the bullshit Umbrella and RL companies do, so I guess it's okay.

lightbane

Arcane
Same as the first one. So far no women are introduced and guys have poorly drawn faces and only show up to rant at you and then cut radio contact. There are a few data logs hidden somewhere, but finding them is up to luck if you can orientate yourself in this overtly expensive, one-color rape-maze.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Everything is too much of a labyrinth, and there's little to distinguish areas unlike the first game, everything is too same-y.
Levels are small (20x20) and you can plant navigation markets by pressing N to mark areas along the way.

Enemies' behaviour is inconsistent, with these opening doors at will except when they don't, and instead roam around before inevitably going back to your position no matter how hard you try to stand still to hide, so the advice for hiding that the game provides doesn't really work.
If enemies lose you, they will search the area for a while before leaving you alone (unless you're dealing with bosses). It's a good idea to stay out of their sight, keep your distance, hide in a storage room, and close the door behind you.

If you start smashing doors / shooting / step on mines, you'll most likely attract attention to your current position, so it's in your best interest to stay quiet until they go away.

Then again, I wouldn't recommend avoiding combat entirely.

Luring enemies to mines doesn't seem to work anymore, as they learned to shoot them down.
Some enemies ignore them, some fly past them, some will shoot them down. You can push them away with ramming attacks and make them step on them, though.

What I don't know is if that results in increasing the encounter rate as it does when you do that, or not.
The encounter chance grows with each step and gets a slight bump every time you destroy a door / cause a commotion / use a repair station. It's reduced every time you encounter an enemy and the reduction rate is multipled by the number of enemies in an encounter.

I also would like to know if burst weapons like the SMG do the damage told in the description if all bullets hit, or if it's per bullet.
It's always per bullet (or pellet in case of the third game).

What's the explosion range of the charged laser? I believe it's 1 tile like the bazooka, but I'm not sure.
Same as bazooka (one tile).

How is it determined when you do push away an enemy by ramming and when you do not? It's a bit inconsistent as sometimes the enemy is pushed away but sometimes it doesn't work.
Difference in weight and evasion. You need a successful ramming attack (i.e. failed evasion) and double the target's weight to push them away.

The game separates evasion into partial evasion (less damage taken + no pushing away) and full evasion (no damage + ram response from the target), and the odds of triggering one of them is 1/2 of the evasion value.

In case of homing mines, pushing them away should be a last-ditch attempt if you ran out of ammo and have nowhere to go.

lightbane

Arcane
Levels are small (20x20) and you can plant navigation markets by pressing N to mark areas along the way.
Tried that. I still have to get used to them, as you can see them in your main screen, but not the map. You also can't add descriptions or anything, sadly.

It's a good idea to stay out of their sight, keep your distance, hide in a storage room, and close the door behind you.
I tried that. Enemies eventually no matter what keep going to said storage room where I'm hidden at and try to open the door, shoot it, or smash it open, or one after the other.
If there are multiple enemies, one may fuck off somewhere else, but that's not certain. What I observed is that if the door is damaged enough to show it visibly, the enemy will attack it until it's about to break, then most likely leave. Perhaps that's because breaking the door would make it easier for you now that's inoperable, or perhaps is to avoid causing noise.

If you start smashing doors / shooting / step on mines, you'll most likely attract attention to your current position, so it's in your best interest to stay quiet until they go away.
I know, but is the encounter rate affected if the enemies do that?

Then again, I wouldn't recommend avoiding combat entirely.

Fair enough. Boss encounters are a thing for a reason.

Some enemies ignore them, some fly past them, some will shoot them down. You can push them away with ramming attacks and make them step on them, though.
That seems to confirm most enemies won't fall for them.

The game separates evasion into partial evasion (less damage taken + no pushing away) and full evasion (no damage + ram response from the target), and the odds of triggering one of them is 1/2 of the evasion value.

Does the game tell you if it's the first one? So far it seems only the last one you're told about.

In case of homing mines, pushing them away should be a last-ditch attempt if you ran out of ammo and have nowhere to go.

The idea was to push them away so that they explode 1 tile away from you and thus become harmless, but no dice.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I know, but is the encounter rate affected if the enemies do that?
Yes, since it still counts as a 'commotion', but the bump is not very significant if you know how to deal with it -- iirc the bump is equal to 5 steps outside of combat or so.

Does the game tell you if it's the first one? So far it seems only the last one you're told about.
You can tell by the results such as lower damage output and lack of change in position if the enemy should be pushed away by the ramming attack.

The idea was to push them away so that they explode 1 tile away from you and thus become harmless, but no dice.
It's a good idea, but again -- it's *very* risky in case of homing mines, since they have high evasion.

My advice is to figure out how to approach each enemy type with minimal losses (picking the right gun / figuring out whether it's worth it to hide behind corners and hit them from the side / going aggro or fighting in a more defensive manner / changing combat stances and ram responses to fit the current situation), staying on the move to fight one enemy at the time while keeping others busy. Unlike DGS, where you could potentially pick one gun and cheese through most of the mission or fight in a stationary position until the enemy is dead, you *have* to adapt all the time here, and the Analyze function is your best friend.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
lightbane if the game feels like a drag to you already, I recommend dropping it and proceeding to Geisterjaeger, because it's not going to get much better. Geisterturm simply isn't very good, and in the mid-late game becomes very annoying. Geisterjaeger otoh is IMO the best in the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom