Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I finished the first chapter and the game is pretty good,it is like shadow tactics. Toh the gameplay could become a bit tedious after some time. It would have been better if they added some skill three and bunch of side objectives,also loot would have been nice. The main problem is the price,50 bucks seems a bit too high,maybe it should have been 20-30ish.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
. It would have been better if they added some skill three and bunch of side objectives,also loot would have been nice
Sounds like Partisans 1941 might be what you're after.
I honestly am not after any commandos like game,they all are in boring setting. I roll my eyes every time is see WW2 setting,the western setting of desperados games is something i don't care,the shadow tactics was boring anime setting,even robin hood was also boring setting lol. Only reason i play them is because the game play is a bit fun.

What i am wanting is a bit of evolution from the genre. There is good reason it died after 10ish games from two and a half franchises. It is all the same you move from A to B silently and kill shit. At least commandos 2 had some looting mechanics and you could kill whole legion during the india mission.

Partisans sounds like another boring muh killing nazi ww2 game. I am tired of all that generic shit. Reading a history book does it better than any WW2 game.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
. It would have been better if they added some skill three and bunch of side objectives,also loot would have been nice
I honestly am not after any commandos like game,they all are in boring setting. I roll my eyes every time is see WW2 setting,the western setting of desperados games is something i don't care,the shadow tactics was boring anime setting,even robin hood was also boring setting lol. Only reason i play them is because the game play is a bit fun.

What i am wanting is a bit of evolution from the genre. There is good reason it died after 10ish games from two and a half franchises. It is all the same you move from A to B silently and kill shit. At least commandos 2 had some looting mechanics and you could kill whole legion during the india mission.

Partisans sounds like another boring muh killing nazi ww2 game. I am tired of all that generic shit. Reading a history book does it better than any WW2 game.
Did you play Robin Hood? It has a hub you come back to, can assign men to produce resources, send onto missions later one in the game when sieges start, select team members to take on missions, have side missions on the map, ambushes etc. etc. In Partisans 1941 it seems they develop this stuff a bit: characters have skills, you can choose who to take on missions, you have a hub but you can apparently build stuff and create resources, there's a survival aspect to it as well, there's a disguise skill, various weapons and specific ammunition for them. I agree though, the setting sucks.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Did you play Robin Hood? It has a hub you come back to, can assign men to produce resources, send onto missions later one in the game when sieges start, select team members to take on missions, have side missions on the map, ambushes etc. etc. In Partisans 1941 it seems they develop this stuff a bit: characters have skills, you can choose who to take on missions, you have a hub but you can apparently build stuff and create resources, there's a survival aspect to it as well, there's a disguise skill, various weapons and specific ammunition for them. I agree though, the setting sucks.
i played it on release,that was 18 years ago lol,hardly remember anything. Tho you make it sounds better than it was. My main problem with the game was that the setting sucks. The weapons really are of irrelevant,all the games in the genre are identical,you run around and stab people. The best part of desperados 3 and shadow tactics is that they are puzzles and that planning button is pretty good. To be honest those games are more of puzzle than a tactical.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

i played it on release,that was 18 years ago lol,hardly remember anything. Tho you make it sounds better than it was. My main problem with the game was that the setting sucks. The weapons really are of irrelevant,all the games in the genre are identical,you run around and stab people. The best part of desperados 3 and shadow tactics is that they are puzzles and that planning button is pretty good. To be honest those games are more of puzzle than a tactical.
In RH each char had a weapon that was either lethal or non lethal and factored in whether you wanted to engage some enemies or not. And another difference: in RH you could queue up to 3 actions per character and if you had 5 characters that was 15 actions you could launch individually or simultaneously. Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 only allow for 1 action per character. In D3 on the first 3 difficulties, the planning phase also freezes time which is really cool and useful.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

In RH each char had a weapon that was either lethal or non lethal and factored in whether you wanted to engage some enemies or not. And another difference: in RH you could queue up to 3 actions per character and if you had 5 characters that was 15 actions you could launch individually or simultaneously. Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 only allow for 1 action per character. In D3 on the first 3 difficulties, the planning phase also freezes time which is really cool and useful.
Yes,what is your point?

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Yes,what is your point?
That not all of them are identical. Some (like RH and Partisans) do include some other elements and try to mix things up.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes,what is your point?
That not all of them are identical. Some (like RH and Partisans) do include some other elements and try to mix things up.
How are they different,they all do the same shit,knock out enemies. You have the sniper that takes enemy with one hit from afar,the strong guy that knocks enemy in one hit but it is slow,you have the stealth saby-satby guy and diversion guy/chick that talks to enemy while you stab shit in the back.
Commandos 2 has different weapons....but you use only the rifle because everything else was useless.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Yes,what is your point?
How are they different,they all do the same shit,knock out enemies. You have the sniper that takes enemy with one hit from afar,the strong guy that knocks enemy in one hit but it is slow,you have the stealth saby-satby guy and diversion guy/chick that talks to enemy while you stab shit in the back.
Commandos 2 has different weapons....but you use only the rifle because everything else was useless.
Well if you oversimplify it like that then yeah they're all the same.
The gameplay loop is the same but the other things I mentioned are not present in D1, D2, Commandos 2, Shadow Tactics etc. Like the stuff between the missions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes,what is your point?
Well if you oversimplify it like that then yeah they're all the same.
The gameplay loop is the same but the other things I mentioned are not present in D1, D2, Commandos 2, Shadow Tactics etc. Like the stuff between the missions.
Different games have different effect,if all the weapons do the same thing,then they are more or less the same.

Curratum

I finished the first chapter and the game is pretty good,it is like shadow tactics. Toh the gameplay could become a bit tedious after some time. It would have been better if they added some skill three and bunch of side objectives,also loot would have been nice. The main problem is the price,50 bucks seems a bit too high,maybe it should have been 20-30ish.

I'm looking at it right now, for 23 EUR and I think I will buy...

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

How is it more expensive in South Africa than in some godforsaken European country?

Developers that aren't interested in fair pricing aren't getting my money.

Curratum

How is it more expensive in South Africa than in some godforsaken European country?

What? I'm looking at key resellers, I haven't bought a game on Steam in at least 4-5 years...

Just nabbed it for 21 EUR, actually. The site had a promo coupon specifically for Desperados 3 that brought it down from 24 to 23 EUR and then I used the 2 EUR store credit I had for writing reviews... :D

So yeah, 21 seems like a great price for that game...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Steam automatically sets the price for different regions. I don't know if you can change that manually, I never tried to tinker with the recommended price. So it's more of Steam's fault than the developers.

Curratum

Steam automatically sets the price for different regions. I don't know if you can change that manually, I never tried to tinker with the recommended price. So it's more of Steam's fault than the developers.

Incorrect. Developers can manually set fair regional prices and adjust for currencies.

New Blood is doing it for all their games, e.g. Dusk costs 17 EUR in EU, 15 GBP in the UK and 20 USD in America.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Incorrect. Developers can manually set fair regional prices and adjust for currencies.

New Blood is doing it for all their games, e.g. Dusk costs 17 EUR in EU, 15 GBP in the UK and 20 USD in America.
Those are the default prices. 20 USD is set automatically to 17 EUR and 15 GBP by steam. Just like my game is set to 8 dollar, but in the EU stores I see 6.59 EUR.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Those are the default prices. 20 USD is set automatically to 17 EUR and 15 GBP by steam. Just like my game is set to 8 dollar, but in the EU stores I see 6.59 EUR.
Devs can definitely set prices, but it could possibly be limited to big publishers... Who knows.
Hitman 2, Crusader Kings III and Bannerlord were all significantly discounted in my local currency.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Buahahaha just met me black saviour witch that uses real magic and it is broken op.....buahahah ok time to move on to the next game.

All of the characters are OP and the witch is the only one that can carry that because it's explained by magic, the other characters are completely unbelievable as the mass murderers you get to play as. Her chatter is also the least annoying out of all of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom