Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex for Graphic Whores

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jasede said:
Do it action-y anyway.

It's fun to use flamethrowers on MiBs. And using scramble grenades to have robots destroy each other.

The engine and the mechanics of the game are wasted if you are not kicking ass in the game.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Squirly said:
Rohit_N said:
Going through the window is BUGGED and if you do he dies
Dammit.

What do you mean 'bugged'? If you run away like a pussy, he dies. If you stay and fight, he survives. Sure you can sneak out through the front door and the 'paul survives' flag is still set, but that's more of a mission anyway and not half as spectacular.

Spector himself called that one of the greatest moments in Deus Ex, where everything hangs on how the player reacts. Do you just blindly follow what the game tells youto do or do you go 'NO WAI!' and whip out the 7.62 and LAMs in order to take out the MiB?

It's almost like the game gives you ... choices and consequences.
Yes. That's one of the things I really like about that game, how some of the C&C is not tied to dialogue.

luckyb0y

Scholar
All that shit barely improves anything. The only thing that is wrong with Deus Ex is animation. It sucks donkey balls. No amount of hires textures, cool lighting effects and what not is going to fix that.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Squirly said:
Rohit_N said:
Going through the window is BUGGED and if you do he dies
Dammit.

What do you mean 'bugged'? If you run away like a pussy, he dies. If you stay and fight, he survives. Sure you can sneak out through the front door and the 'paul survives' flag is still set, but that's more of a mission anyway and not half as spectacular.

Spector himself called that one of the greatest moments in Deus Ex, where everything hangs on how the player reacts. Do you just blindly follow what the game tells youto do or do you go 'NO WAI!' and whip out the 7.62 and LAMs in order to take out the MiB?

It's almost like the game gives you ... choices and consequences.
I killed the MiBs and left through the window, so I was surprised to hear that Paul was killed.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Me too. But to be fair I saw several goons in lobby and didnt want to deal with (thought: took care of the biggest threat so it should be good).

I told myself later, well if he didnt have the strength to make it down the fire escape then even the low level gaurds could be done him in (off screen of course).

Castanova

Prophet
Dicksmoker said:
Yes. That's one of the things I really like about that game, how some of the C&C is not tied to dialogue.

Dicksmoker delivers. C&C without narrativist, choose-your-own-adventure, LARPing bullshit. Yes, we can.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Castanova said:
Dicksmoker said:

Dicksmoker delivers. C&C without narrativist, choose-your-own-adventure, LARPing bullshit. Yes, we can.

Yes, you're spot on! Deciding if you want to take on the MIB and help your brother, or leave, is LARPing bullshit. The AI of the game must be awesome, because it can analyze your lapring, guess what you're thinking and give you consequences accordingly. Such a complex and advanced AI could reach self-consciousness. I believe this may very well be the prototype for skynet.

MetalCraze

Arcane
My graphics whore powers are truly unmatched!

2s0inid.jpg

wqx8qb.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
- ENBSeries 0.075 Deus Ex version + ENBSeries d3d8-to-d3d9 converter
(original config sucks very much, so I've spent several hours making a new one to create one with a good post-processing effects - I can upload it)

- UWar Grass 1.23b

- AEC Islands Pack (basically WGL Texture Replacement Pack + Berghoff's trees)

- NIM Dynamic Weather
(for 3D Crysis-styled clouds, falling leaves, snow blizzards etc)

- GRAA3 infantry modpack

- SJB Weapons pack 1.1 + self-made patch out of a few never-released SJB Weapons pack 2.0 details (like better looking AN/PEQ-2 and aimpoint) that only can be found in FFUR2007

- Kegetys' HiSky

None of them will work from the get-go, you will have to put some time and work to make all of them work together, but just read their readmes - it is much easier than you think but still time consuming.

You can find all of them (apart from what I've mentioned) on OFPR.info I think and even more - there are many better unit/vehicles models at that site (Search by ORCS, BAS, RHS, INQ and SEP - they've made many great models).

As for FPS - well considering 2km viewdistance on a not very good optimized OFP engine it is playable on a system with 3+ years old parts and can be playable on a system with 5+ years old parts if you will make grass density lower.

10eknl5.jpg

Incredibly atmospheric Autumn Nogova island + the above

6e3vhx.jpg

SJB Weapons Pack texture detail overkill

mpnov2_1.jpg

1st_try1.jpg

Also Nogova replacement for OFP: Resistance, comes with modded Res campaign, so you can complete it with the new island. The upper screen shows NIM Dynamic Weather.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

wish someone d make a deus ex remake for crysis, relativly easy to mod/map for and all stuff you need is possible. (there s already mod examples for multiple choice dialogue, inventory/RPG stuff/etc.).

just look at this screenshot at how awesome it could look:

image2.jpg

too bad most of the mods are of the "you are an US soldier and on a mission to kill north koreans on yet another island" kind .....

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
wish someone d make a deus ex remake for crysis, relativly easy to mod/map for and all stuff you need is possible. (there s already mod examples for multiple choice dialogue, inventory/RPG stuff/etc.).

There is actually a project that is porting deus ex to the unreal 2004 engine:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-reborn
Their site hasn't been updated for a long time, but in their forums you can see that the project is still alive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom