Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

My lady isn't a moderator of DX subforums actual lady as far as I know.

:troll:
I can live with that.
22qNG.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
okay so some people liked alpha protocol

even though its a shitty game i can somewhat accept that, at least it was unique and aimed high

but fucking human revolution

what in that game wasnt mediocrity incarnated?

well except the ending and the boss fights which were outright terrible

zwanzig_zwoelf

even though its a shitty game i can somewhat accept that, at least it was unique and aimed high

The music wasn't really bad.

J1M

Arcane
Title could be a lot better.

Would also like to see Jensen stand up to his backstabbing evil girlfriend.

Story or subplots similar to that presented in the DX mods ZODIAC and Cassandra Project would also be welcome.

T. Reich

Arcane

If you didn't know, they actually broke up several years(!) before the game's events even started. So she's only his "girlfriend" in his head.

After finding out that little fact in the DLC, playing as Jensen is now kinda uncomfortable, knowing that the motivation the game gives you is the one of a creepy borderline stalker who just can't let go of the past.

J1M

Arcane

If you didn't know, they actually broke up several years(!) before the game's events even started. So she's only his "girlfriend" in his head.

After finding out that little fact in the DLC, playing as Jensen is now kinda uncomfortable, knowing that the motivation the game gives you is the one of a creepy borderline stalker who just can't let go of the past.
I knew. Not even batman has the kind of lore armor that a cheating ex-girlfriend does in modern entertainment.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The music wasn't really bad.

nah it was pretty mediocre

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Depends on how picky you want to be, really. It was a real Deus Ex game with all that entails, which was quite exciting and remarkable for 2012. I particularly loved the environment design and stealth, and while the flaws are obvious (bosses, ending buttons, too many vents) it's still very fluid when playing and solid as a game experience. It's not like the original doesn't have plenty of flaws as well, top three favorite game of my life or not.

We're in an age where we're slowly building back to the quality we already had at the turn of the millennium and Human Revolution was a good step on that path.

retardation

Learned

Human Revolution was really fun, and more importantly, it was written by intelligent people. I still remember finding the secret log of a sniper tasked with firing between the police and the protesters to start unrest before all this real world crap in Syria and Ukraine happened.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Name a single element of the original Deus Ex that wasn't mediocre or worse.

This seems suspiciously like you're actually saying Alpha Protocol is a better game than Deus Ex Human Revolution.. but no, you can't be that stupid, no way.
The only area where AP aimed high was dialogues and c&c, the actual game parts were bad to downright atrocious. HR isn't exactly great at anything it does but it's mostly consistent and solid throughout, not to mention actually polished. Some people do care about that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Human Revolution [...] was written by intelligent people.

yeah, i distinctly remember convincing an ideological fortress that maybe he shouldn't destroy the world after all through 2 minutes of conversation

surely, that is part of the epitome of our species' creative achievements

HR isn't exactly great at anything it does but it's mostly consistent and solid throughout, not to mention actually polished. Some people do care about that sort of thing.

Hmm, I guess I have to eat this one. After all, that's what made me give DA:O a pass.

A decent polished cyberpunk is hard to find. As an adventure game, DX:HR is about as RPG as you can get. It's not Fallout New Vegas, but if you're looking for deep intellectual undercurrents in a dystopian action rpg with cool stealth moves, then it's a great game. Dialogue could've been better, they could have made the plot more directly attack the ideas in the background, and they could've made it more open-rpg with C&C and heavier branching, but as a whole they did a good job. And who the fuck cares about the music, when NewRetroWave has better than anything they're going to make?

Rake

Arcane
This seems suspiciously like you're actually saying Alpha Protocol is a better game than Deus Ex Human Revolution.. but no, you can't be that stupid, no way.
The only area where AP aimed high was dialogues and c&c, the actual game parts were bad to downright atrocious. HR isn't exactly great at anything it does but it's mostly consistent and solid throughout, not to mention actually polished. Some people do care about that sort of thing.
Reading Alpha Protocol's LP was miles ahead of reading DX:HR's, so no.
:troll:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
AP's gameplay wasn't all shit, stealthing about with super-pistol was fun. DXHR is like a million times better though.

retardation

Learned

yeah, i distinctly remember convincing an ideological fortress that maybe he shouldn't destroy the world after all through 2 minutes of conversation

Judging by your post, you also don't think Fallout, Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment are written by intelligent people, which begs the question: what are you doing on a forum called RPG Codex besides contradicting yourself?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Judging by your post, you also don't think Fallout, Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment are written by intelligent people

I have said before that I think the conversation with the Master was pretty poorly handled (though written much better than HR), and I don't think you can compare the writing of Deus Ex or PS:T ending sequences with the horrible dialogue at the end of HR. Both of those games made credible setups for your final dialogue. In HR, you convince a total stranger to stop a genocide by telling him of the most obvious consequences of his actions.

Also, neither of the games you mentioned make you press a button to select and ending.

what are you doing on a forum called RPG Codex

i like rpgs

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Like most sane Deus Ex fans i kind of liked Human Revolution, but after Deus Ex: The Fall and especially Thief, i'm not so sure if i can trust Square Enix to not fuck this up.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Name a single element of the original Deus Ex that wasn't mediocre or worse.

Level design
And that pretty much exhausts it.
Maybe some background fluff could also be listed.

DX1's strength doesn't lie in any single element.
Judging by your post, you also don't think Fallout, Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment are written by intelligent people

I have said before that I think the conversation with the Master was pretty poorly handled (though written much better than HR)
:salute:

The entire Panchea segment in DX:HR is poorly done in terms of narrative. There are some nice things like finding and interacting with Sarif, and that slimy Illuminati dude, plus general area layout is pretty nice, but storming the "ideological fortress" is derp beyond comprehension, antagonist's motives are ill-defined and come off as derpy, plus the whole Hyron thing just feels like they desperately needed something to wave their finger at while screaming "TECHNOLOLGY IS EVUL!!!1" and couldn't come up with anything not terminally retarded.

Other than that DX:HR is pretty clever, with the exception of Tyrants being completely obsolete as antagonists, which is a bad thing for any antagonist in any narrative.

And yeah, convincing Master of the failure of his genius plan by mentioning something glaringly obvious was retarded.

Also, neither of the games you mentioned make you press a button to select and ending.
Technically DX1 had that, it just spread the buttons apart and some of them were keypads.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Technically DX1 had that, it just spread the buttons apart and some of them were keypads.

Context, man. You abstract far enough you can say that any choice-ending is basically just a button, if it isn't influenced by earlier decisions. I think that's too much of a generalized statement. ODX was pretty far from HR/ME3 blatant button presses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom