Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"developers: Please ignore this person" tag...

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
define "shit".

A giant, brown, mess with decent lore which overrates it = shit.

On the other hand you have Bioware games, which are the same thing, except narrow corridor shooters instead of peripheral mass wanderers.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Ah, but Baldur's Gate was under Interplay's Banner, not EA's, not to mention that I think it's fair to say that Bioware began their decline at NWN, not Baldur's Gate. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Baldur's gate was held back by the fact that the technology of the day was not sufficiently advanced to provide immersive corridors.

And we'd bitch about it all day. We don't want our genre to be accessible! We want it to go back to what it used to be.

Ah, not really. The codex favorites are actually pretty accessible. What riles codexers up is the widespread belief (among players, publishers and developers alike) that for a game to be accessible, it has to be dumbed down. Talking to people to know where you're supposed to go? Fuck that. Follow the green arrow!

(I was just watching a review of Final Fantasy III for Android on youtube, guy got to the first town and is already stuck. He keeps running in circles around NPCs.)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hm, so you are saying there aren't any good games on consoles. Updated my knowsnothingaboutvideogames.txt.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Avellone is prevented from talking to the Codex under contract.

I've just confirmed with MCA that this is in fact *not* the case, and he isn't even aware of anything like that being the case, well, anywhere:

Chris Avellone via email said:
Obsidian employees can post anywhere they want, do interviews with whoever they want, and draw cartoons for whoever they want.

We have no internal policy prohibiting this, although I imagine other studios do (not specifically for the Codex that I'm aware of, but posting outside of their own studio forums in general), and some publishers are known to ask studios for hire that posts and interviews be controlled by them either by preference, to drive traffic to the publisher site, and because they make exclusivity arrangements, but even then I've seen them make exceptions. I have not seen any of these as part of a contract, however.

Just so everyone knows.

Duckard

Augur
But doesn't Zeus usually take on those forms so that he can have sex with some random mortal that caught his eye?

hiver

So that means that his distinct lack of posting here is his own choice.

:rpgcodex:

Its more like... this is what supporting and encouraging raging morons does to Codex.

No dev is posting here.... by their own decision/choice. The last excuse, delusion, or justification is swept away.

Thats just...one... :epic facepalm:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Trust me.

2IZRT.png

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Some time ago (years) we wanted to do an interview with some Obsidian folks on F:NV and they (don't remember who it was or do I?) responded that they'd love to but can't because it's company-wide policy at Obsidian not to post on the Codex or give interviews to the Codex. Did they lie? Perhaps. Although all the evidence (folks showing up immediately after they've left Obsidian etc) hints otherwise.

MCA probably lies bends the truth because he wants to get on Ms. Bee's good side. You know.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nathaniel Chapman briefly posted in a DS3 thread while he was still working at Obsidian. Though he went to Blizzard shortly after so maybe he just didn't care at that point.

Some time ago (years) we wanted to do an interview with some Obsidian folks on F:NV and they (don't remember who it was or do I?) responded that they'd love to but can't because it's company-wide policy at Obsidian not to post on the Codex or give interviews to the Codex. Did they lie? Perhaps. Although all the evidence (folks showing up immediately after they've left Obsidian etc) hints otherwise.

MCA probably lies bends the truth because he wants to get on Ms. Bee's good side. You know.
You are probably referring to a different incident, but if it was anything like the aborted DaC interview with MCA around the time before F:NV was released, it would seem that the actual restriction had to do with anything related to New Vegas (needing approval from the Bethesda PR). I would not read too much into Anthony Davis and George Ziets showing up (again) once they left Obsidian, as they did so in threads that dealt specifically with their respective departures; it's not as if they suddenly turned from (semi-)lurkers into full-on GD spambots.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I remember Anthony Davies was posting a fair bit on a variety of topics around the time of SoZ, then he went completely quiet until he left Obsidian...

Achilles

Arcane
The answer is obvious, and one that I've suspected for a very long time. The first thing they give you when you start working for a big publisher is your very own brainslug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom