Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"developers: Please ignore this person" tag...

almondblight

Arcane
We can absolutely do without this kind of fair weather developer. Every day that passes convinces me more that he only posted at the codex when it stroke his ego. Why does he not come back and adress a few of the valid points, and simply ignore everything else (which is always the prudent thing to do when someone is below our level)? No, now he doesn't come back at all, which is (as someone said before) nothing but an ad hominem directed at the nature of all critical discussion here.

Pretty much. The guy seemed OK at first but one newly registered member (one that registered after the developer himself) hurts his feelings and he blames it on the whole site, then packs his things up and goes home. Then people actually apologized to the guy? Maybe he should apologize to us for getting pissed at everyone over what one new member said. Hell, if any non-developer member of the Codex acted the same way (got insulted by one new member, blamed the site and then left forever), we'd be laughing at them.

Publishers saw the 10k raised by the Codex and thought it was a good site to drop by, let us bask in their glory, and then have us through gold at whatever garbage they were selling. Now they're going to be less inclined to do so. This is a bad thing?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The original developers of Daggerfall are long gone anyway, probably never even touched Oblivion or Skyrim development. That was back when Todd was an unwanted for the company.
Todd was a Daggerfall designer, no?

He must've made an impression since he was Morrowind's project director.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why do you people even bother with developer opinions or feelings. I dont care if they feel hurt by my criticism, they make us a product and we are in every right to have opinions about it.

No reason to make them feel special in any way too. Too much ass licking going over here.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
I think the "tone" of the codex has pretty much toned down since we know most all the games they continue to make today are still basically shit. The RAGE was over how they even further dumbed down Morrowind in Oblivion. Now we know any Bethesda game is still the same.

They will never ever ever go down as making anything even remotely complex (because that doesn't sell!) as Daggerfall. In fact I doubt they would even know how to program such a game today....
RAGE was the best post apocalyptic title published by zenimax/bethesda yet!

Black

Arcane
I think the "tone" of the codex has pretty much toned down since we know most all the games they continue to make today are still basically shit. The RAGE was over how they even further dumbed down Morrowind in Oblivion. Now we know any Bethesda game is still the same.

They will never ever ever go down as making anything even remotely complex (because that doesn't sell!) as Daggerfall. In fact I doubt they would even know how to program such a game today....
RAGE was the best post apocalyptic title published by zenimax/bethesda yet!
And least buggy?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The original developers of Daggerfall are long gone anyway, probably never even touched Oblivion or Skyrim development. That was back when Todd was an unwanted for the company.
Todd was a Daggerfall designer, no?

He must've made an impression since he was Morrowind's project director.
He did. On Zenimax which bought Bethesda after it almost went bankrupt. He was a bright-eyed lad with new ideas on how to make games that sell like hotcakes.

DraQ

Arcane
TBH I no longer think Todd is a cynical turd trying to cram whatever sells the most in his games without any integrity or anything like that.

After Skyrim I think he's a genuine, semi-retarded manchild who can't coordinate team's work, focus, nor critiacally assess ideas of both his own and the others. Therefore he's a very hit-or-miss person. Mostly miss, but I think he might actually appreciate something genuinely good provided it came in an attractive and fairly accessible package.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
TBH I no longer think Todd is a cynical turd trying to cram whatever sells the most in his games without any integrity or anything like that.

After Skyrim I think he's a genuine, semi-retarded manchild who can't coordinate team's work, focus, nor critiacally assess ideas of both his own and the others. Therefore he's a very hit-or-miss person. Mostly miss, but I think he might actually appreciate something genuinely good provided it came in an attractive and fairly accessible package.

So instead of being evil like EA, he's just a special needs child with good intentions?

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
I think I might change my vote to be a deist/theist. something very strange is afoot. WTF. I CAN ADD today's date to make 127. like my credit card balance before i ordered 40.27 dominos. and internet bill which was 40 something made 127 to begin with.

Johannes

Arcane
Well, he does give a ton of people what they want.
Don't see how that nbecessarily makes him evil or retarded in any way.

Black

Arcane
Bawww, so does EA, Bioware and Activision but I don't see you defending them.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
... for anyone with a proven track record of trolling developers that decide to post on the Codex.

Special Alert for developers = weak
'Please!' = weak

Two signs on weakness in this suggestion, do you want us to look weak? Why not just start begging developers to post here? Do you really think the Codex needs anymore chinks in its armour of hate?

"Please talk to us, guys!"

It didn't work in highschool and it's not going to work on the internet.

DraQ

Arcane
Good cRPG's do not sell.
I think good cRPG could sell, but would require some gradual easing in and accessible packaging.

It would also require replacement of quite a lot of traditional features with modernized versions. The core idea (character's capabilities are determined by stats) would stay, the implementation would be different.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And we'd bitch about it all day. We don't want our genre to be accessible! We want it to go back to what it used to be.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Considering the incline of Skyrim after Ken Rolston left, not to mention the :retarded: of Kingdoms of Banalur (the game for which he came back out of retirement), I think he should be tagged as culprit, rather than Todd.

There's also the story of Rolston only managing to exit the starting dungeon of Arena once after trying it twenty times. And let's be frank, setting & lore (although 90% of Morrowind lore books got chunneled over from Daggerfall) aside, Morrowind is to Daggerfall what Oblivion is to Morrowind.

DraQ

Arcane

Considering the incline of Skyrim after Ken Rolston left, not to mention the :retarded: of Kingdoms of Banalur (the game for which he came back out of retirement), I think he should be tagged as culprit, rather than Todd.

There's also the story of Rolston only managing to exit the starting dungeon of Arena once after trying it twenty times. And let's be frank, setting & lore (although 90% of Morrowind lore books got chunneled over from Daggerfall) aside, Morrowind is to Daggerfall what Oblivion is to Morrowind.
Well, yeah, and some Rolston's ideas were obviously herpaderp: "thou shall not betray the player!".
The puzzling part is that he was strongly involved in Morrowind.

As for the Skyrim, I'm most pissed off by mechanical dumbing down (stats, magic system) and linear dungeons. Well, that and handholding. And Dragons being cliffies 2.0 with derpy AI. Interface is fucking hell but you can learn to live with it.

I might still get pissed off by some lore alterations, and lack of guild interactions is a letdown (but at least they sort of coped with that by reducing guilds' reach), but other than that it's enormous incline over Oblivion, though still not Morrowind. I enjoy random events of all sorts.

And we'd bitch about it all day. We don't want our genre to be accessible! We want it to go back to what it used to be.
I don't want it to go backwards. I want it to leap forward except not from the fucking cliff it's currently standing on.

I want modern RPGs that are to our beloved classics what Deus Ex or Stalker, or TN:SFC, or (on the other hand) Unreal, Hexen or Blood (or even HL1) are to Wolf 3D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom