Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board. ... adid=87029

Unofficial Diablo 3 Countdown

Diablo3.com and related site Blizzplanet are offering mysterious countdown timers that currently stand at 13 days and counting. It is important to note that neither site is owned or operated by Blizzard, but of course they do have some contacts there, so it seems reasonable to trust that this is somewhat significant. They're keeping things close to the vest for now, as the countdown is accompanied by this blurb: "The number of days until half the web links to Diablo3.com. But why???" Presumably we'll know the answer on May 1.

Lumpy

Arcane
Wrong forum buddy. This should be in RPG Codex News Comments.
Can a mod move this pls?

Texas Red

Whiner
Diablo 3 = an obsolete, tired genre game that has a name on it that will reviewers/whores scream just because of it. A completely pointless and meaningless game that hopes to sell *only* based on the former popularity of the previous titles. Diablo-like game are by their nature lame, boring and whatever since every other genre can offer a lot more.

This is going to be another game that's going to get attention just because of the name. If it would come, say Russia, it would get zero publicity.

ARPG are a weird abortion of a genre that somehow is popular yet is completely unnecessary.

DoppelG

Scholar
WTF are you talking about? Its a hack & slash, don't like it? Fuck off, i don't give a shit.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The Walkin' Dude said:
Diablo 3 = an obsolete, tired genre game that has a name on it that will reviewers/whores scream just because of it. A completely pointless and meaningless game that hopes to sell *only* based on the former popularity of the previous titles. Diablo-like game are by their nature lame, boring and whatever since every other genre can offer a lot more.

This is going to be another game that's going to get attention just because of the name. If it would come, say Russia, it would get zero publicity.
Not sure about zero publicity, but you are making zero sense, that's for sure.

Diablo 2 was a pretty good game with complex mechanics that haven't been beaten to-date. Sure, it wasn't an RPG that most people here would prefer, but it was the best game of the sub-genre and trashing it just because you are an angry kid seems lame.

Not to mention that so far Blizzard has shown nothing but their commitment to quality and even canceled two games instead of cashing in on "the former popularity of the previous titles".

slipgate_angel

Scholar
DoopelG, you may want to check your spelling next time you type something up, because that way you won't be an easy target in other peoples eyes.

As for TWD, Diablo wasn't THE ARPG, although did make way for clones. Secret of mana used a fusion between action and RPG elements, even then it wasn't as button mashy as Diablo was.

Anyway, I find it kind of hard to belive that there's a small chance of Diablo 3. Come on, isn't Starcraft 2 still in development?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Not to mention that so far Blizzard has shown nothing but their commitment to quality and even canceled two games instead of cashing in on "the former popularity of the previous titles".
Yeah but double sided scythes man.

sah

Liturgist
Yeah, I played D2LOD recently and it still is fun. I don't see how hack&slash games are 'obsolete'.

Diablo 2 was a pretty good game with complex mechanics that haven't been beaten to-date.

? examples please

Vault Dweller

Developer
slipgate_angel said:
Anyway, I find it kind of hard to belive that there's a small chance of Diablo 3. Come on, isn't Starcraft 2 still in development?
They have at least 3 teams.

sah said:
Yeah, I played D2LOD recently and it still is fun. I don't see how hack&slash games are 'obsolete'.

Diablo 2 was a pretty good game with complex mechanics that haven't been beaten to-date.

? examples please
Examples of what? Diablo-clones that failed to beat D2? Or examples of complex mechanics?

Nightjed

Liturgist
im pretty sure theyll go for diablo3 after starcraft 2, why abandon a successful franchise (that could become the next wow) for no reason

there was a rumor a few months ago that they were developing it in secret and sent it back to drawing board because it was a piece of crap, it said something about items having dark and light "modes" that only changed the item's look, i wonder if there is any truth in that rumor...

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
Nightjed said:
im pretty sure theyll go for diablo3 after starcraft 2, why abandon a successful franchise (that could become the next wow) for no reason

there was a rumor a few months ago that they were developing it in secret and sent it back to drawing board because it was a piece of crap, it said something about items having dark and light "modes" that only changed the item's look, i wonder if there is any truth in that rumor...
There isn't "no reason" for leaving the Diablo franchise be. The story is pretty much finished.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nightjed said:
Who's talking about abandoning?

Look at the job page:
http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/

Different projects are clearly marked: WoW, SC2, "Top Secret", and "Top Secret MMO". Now, the "Top Secret" job descriptions start with:

"Blizzard Entertainment, the developer of Diablo and Diablo II, is looking for..."

Any questions? Not the developer of Diablo, Starctaft, and Warcraft games, but "Diablo and Diablo II". What does that tell you?

Comrade Hamster said:
There isn't "no reason" for leaving the Diablo franchise be. The story is pretty much finished.
The story of coming of age while killing monsters and leveling up is never finished.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Comrade Hamster said:
The story is pretty much finished.

bah, the ending of d2xp left it open enough to go "diablo resurrected/had a son" and there is no reason not to have a new batch of heros try to kill it (no need for long explanations about how the old guys got involved and suddenly turned lvl1)

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
They've hired some writer to make books (which are all out now afaik) detailing the lore of the gameworld. Then they hired the d2 composer iirc to work on a secret project. The mmo probably won't be a diablo mmo, since everyone associated diablo with battle.net.

I sure hope they don't go all warcraft3 on the design though. Like KC pointed out... double-sided scythes and all that faggotry. Then again, Boyarsky (originally said Jason Anderson, had to edit omg) was hired to work on a secret project, no? Hope its D3.

The D2 expansion leaves a lot of room for sequels. Anything from "world reset" to "EVIL TYRAEL ZOMG".

Rulion

Liturgist
I like the news in General RPG Discussion better than the regular new section.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom