Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

spiwak

Novice
Fans can be such crybabies.

DoppelG

Scholar
Diablo 3 ingame art is such a fail, wtf is this shit? There were a few things going for Diablo, its great atmosphere (musically and graphically, ok, no so much for D2, but still), its way of storytelling and obviously the hack & slash. Why the fuck did they go all textureless smooth candy colored cubical epic bulky silhouet pink hentai dildo Warcraft pastel neonlight illuminated cartoon on it? (obviously to sell more, but from an artistical viewpoint)
Pffft, how rude.

Shannow

Waster of Time
DoppelG said:
Diablo 3 ingame art is such a fail, wtf is this shit? There were a few things going for Diablo, its great atmosphere (musically and graphically, ok, no so much for D2, but still), its way of storytelling and obviously the hack & slash. Why the fuck did they go all textureless smooth candy colored cubical epic bulky silhouet pink hentai dildo Warcraft pastel neonlight illuminated cartoon on it? (obviously to sell more, but from an artistical viewpoint)
Pffft, how rude.

In a world overrun and strongly influenced by Hell it helps immersion when everything looks shiny and cute. You go out and ask yourself:"Will I kill some cutesy undead or will I go and pick some flowers in this wonderful lush hell-invaded landscape?"
+ Bloom sticks out like a sore thumb in more dreary landscapes. And you can't have a game without bloom now, can you?

Raapys

Arcane
cutegirlfriendofdiablo.jpg

See how it blends in?

Binary

Liturgist
Why the heck are you discussing game art? Since when have codexers become gfx-whores?

I couldn't care less if the game is dark enough or not JUST RELEASE THE THING NOW DAMMIT

At least it's good to know I'm not the only one suffering from DWS (Diablo Withdrawal Syndrome) ;)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would find a 'commit' button annoying, personally.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Binary said:
Why the heck are you discussing game art? Since when have codexers become gfx-whores?

Game art =! graphics. Also, contrary to popular belief, visuals do matter, they just don't matter as much as gameplay.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The only thing that really threw me off visuals wise was the retarded armor the characters had, and the stupid glowy shit on the enchanted axes. I rather liked the visuals otherwise. They actually used the 3D instead of making it a fucking diorama, the corpses looked decent, the UI was small, and all the enemies fit in the setting. I'm more worried that after they get out of there 4 miles away is the tropical island chapter filled with birds and bright blue yeti things. That and the other characters better not have armor that retarded. The barb had stupid ass armor before, and I can just not bother playing flamboyantly gay helmet man, but if the other 3 classes have equipment that garish I'll puke.

Raapys

Arcane
The petition has 15k+ signatures, and apparantly a developer answered about the issue.

Diablo III Producer - "Color Is Your Friend"
Yes, Diablo III is going to be much more vivid and vibrant than its predecessors, a fact that has some fans signing a petition against the shinier, happier art direction - now with over fifteen thousand signatures. Tracey John over at MTV Multiplayer spoke with Diablo III lead producer Keith Lee about the during the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational in Paris this past weekend, who defended the move towards a brighter, more colorful Diablo.

“One of the things that we considered when we were working on the visuals for ‘Diablo III’ is the fact that color is your friend. We feel that color actually helps to create a lot of highlights in the game so that there is contrast. A great analogy is like in ‘Lord of the Rings’ — not everything is dark. It allows you to see what a creepy dungeon can be like but if everything is dark it doesn’t allow you to have a lot of contrast.”

Lee also explains that they want players excited to enter and explore new areas, rather that simply provide the same dark environments over and over again.

Lee does admit that fan feedback is a major factor in how Blizzard develops titles. It'll be interesting to see what impact - if any - the petition has on the development of the game.

http://kotaku.com/5021491/diablo-iii-pr ... our-friend

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
One of the things that we considered when we were working on the visuals for ‘Diablo III’ is the fact that color is your friend.

I don't think there is a single face palm out there to express just how deeply demented this comment is. God damn.

A great analogy is like in ‘Lord of the Rings’ — not everything is dark. It allows you to see what a creepy dungeon can be like but if everything is dark it doesn’t allow you to have a lot of contrast.

As far as i remember, LotR was pretty fucking monochromatic.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DoppelG said:
Pffft, how rude.

I think i'm going to have to side with the naysayers on this one. The graphics would be fine in any other context but this really fucks with continuity.

Wait, hold on, i'm supposed to pretend i don't give a fuck about this. Carry on.

EDIT:

Those doctored pictures actually look pretty good:

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=53431

1eyedking

Erudite
I was sorely disappointed when I first saw the gameplay video, my first thought was "Here we go again, departing even more from the dark gothic feeling of the first one - this shit looks just like WoW".

Goddamit Codex, you're supposed to go against mainstream design; where else am I going to get quorum for my niche predicaments?

Raapys

Arcane
The Lord of the Rings movies have had way too much influence on the pc gaming market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom