Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

Zakhal

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:
Hard to think it will be anyting like DD because its going to be first person like the best game ever Oblivion.

Diablo2 is actually the best game ever - atleast according to the sales numbers which say its the best selling pc "rpg" known to man. Oblivion sold only 1.5 mil compared to diablo2's 4 mil. My guess is that the d2 multiplayer DRM gave it a little boost.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Zakhal said:
Saxon1974 said:
Hard to think it will be anyting like DD because its going to be first person like the best game ever Oblivion.

Diablo2 is actually the best game ever - atleast according to the sales numbers which say its the best selling pc "rpg" known to man. Oblivion sold only 1.5 mil compared to diablo2's 4 mil. My guess is that the d2 multiplayer DRM gave it a little boost.

Where do you get sales numbers from? Anyway to know sales for old games?

Zakhal

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:

Wiki - best selling games of all times:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... s_by_genre

Top PC sellers by genre

* Adventure – Myst (6 million)[185]
* Computer role-playing game – Diablo II (4 million)[188]
* First-person shooter – Half-Life (8 million)[184]
* Third-person shooter - Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (2 million)[205]
* Real-time strategy – StarCraft (9.5 million, may include StarCraft: Brood War)[183]
* Simulation – The Sims (50 million)[177]

Top PC sellers

* The Sims (50 million,[177] 70 million including expansions)[177]
* Lineage 2 (14 million customers)[178]
* The Sims 2 (13 million)[179]
* World of Warcraft (10 million subscribers)[181]
* StarCraft (9.5 million, may include StarCraft: Brood War)[183]
* Half-Life (8 million)[184]
* Myst (6 million)[185]
* Guild Wars (5 million )[186]
* Cossacks: European Wars (4 million)[187]
* Diablo II (4 million)[188]
o Diablo II: Lord of Destruction [expansion pack] (1 million;[188] 2 million shipped)[188]
* Half-Life 2 (4 million)[189]
* Populous (4 million)[190][191]
* RollerCoaster Tycoon (4 million in North America)[192]
* Doom 3 (3.5 million)[193]
* EverQuest (3.5 million)[194]
* Theme Park (3.5 million)[191]
....down...
* Baldur's Gate (2 million)[203]
* Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2 million)[203]

Top sellers by genre (all platforms)

* Action-adventure – Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 – 12 million)[125]
* Role-playing game – Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy – 20.08 million approximately: 10.23 million in Japan,[47] 9.85 million in US)[20]
* Fighting – Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN - 7.09 million)[63]
* First-person shooter – Halo 3 (Xbox 360 – 8.1 million)[21]
* Music game - Guitar Hero II (PS2 - 3.31 million in US)[20]
* Third-person shooter – Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 – 12 million)[125]
* Platform – Super Mario Bros. (NES – 40.23 million)[43]
* Puzzle – Tetris (Game Boy – 33 million)[83]
* Racing – Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 – 14.89 million shipped)[111]
* Simulation – Nintendogs (DS – 18.67 million)[75]
* Stealth – Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2 – 7 million)[126]
* Survival horror – Resident Evil 2 (PS1 – 4.96 million)[34]
* Traditional sports – Madden NFL 2005 (PS2 – 4.35 million in US)[20]

Pokemon aarrggh..Thers not much old games (unless you count diablo as old). The 1.5 oblivion (includes pc & xbox sales) was from other source dont remember what.

Truth

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
Zakhal said:
Saxon1974 said:

How old? Older PC games sold in multiples of 100,000 copies, usually. I presume the numbers go down the further back you go.

Fallout - 300,000 ~ 400,000
System Shock - 170,000
PS:T - ~400,000

Binary

Liturgist
Claw said:
I'm kinda happy all my D2 mp characters have expired. I feel like a heavy burden was lifted. I'm a bit sad about my battle necro though, I loved spamming bone spear and blasting those corpses.

Haven't logged on Battle.Net for like 5 years now. I wonder if my chars are still there! ;)

jaylittle

Scholar
It's really not fair to compare Diablo 2 sales numbers to that of Oblivion. Diablo 2 has been out much longer afterall and has been selling at bargain bin prices for a long time.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Kingston said:
* Real-time strategy – StarCraft (9.5 million, may include StarCraft: Brood War)

May include? These sound like reliable numbers.

Since when did wiki become totally reliable? :twisted: For whats its worth thats still the only all-time-top saleslist I have found.

jaylittle said:
It's really not fair to compare Diablo 2 sales numbers to that of Oblivion. Diablo 2 has been out much longer afterall and has been selling at bargain bin prices for a long time.

Afaik most of each games sales are usually done in the first years after release. Oblivion sold 1.5 million in two years? To reach diablo2 figures it would need to sell 2.5 million more which is near twice more than during the first two years. I dont believe it can do that but thats just my guess of course.

Id say a much bigger factor is the fact that oblivion is been sold on multiple platforms including pc,xbox and ps3. To make the comparison fair we should take only pc sales to the comparison and I doubt PC has the biggest share.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Truth said:
Saxon1974 said:
Zakhal said:
Saxon1974 said:

How old? Older PC games sold in multiples of 100,000 copies, usually. I presume the numbers go down the further back you go.

Fallout - 300,000 ~ 400,000
System Shock - 170,000
PS:T - ~400,000

Was wondering more about the Ultima's, Bard Tales, Might and Magics etc....

I have a pool of radiance game box that says over 250,000 sold. I would imagine if you added together all of the gold box games they sold well over a million total. Just makes me wonder why more companies now don't re-use engines more. Seems like they build an engine make a game and then scrap it....seems like a waste..

Murk

Arcane
jaylittle said:

sadly its' holding its own - the expansion is still 19.99 new at circuit city/best buy

i imagine bargain bin to be single digits (9.99 and less in US dollars)

Lemunde

Scholar
That's the thing about most Blizzard games. Stores keep selling them for a loooong time after they've been released. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see some stores still carrying Warcraft 2 and Diablo.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Warcraft battle chest used to include WC2. It still might, actually.

The Diablo battle chest includes Diablo, still.

Binary

Liturgist
skyway said:
Diablo 2 has been out much longer afterall and has been selling at bargain bin prices for a long time.

fucking battle chest costs $37 :(

Yeah :( I just grabbed a D2 and D2 LoD from eBay, you can probably get those for peanuts.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
SpaceMarinesSavingPrivateRyan.jpg

spiwak

Novice
Laughable. Something makes me doubt Blizzard will just halt the press and change everything about how the game looks in the next year or two.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Don't know if this has been posted here before: interview with Boyarski on Diablo 3

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/885172p1.html

“I wasn’t a hardcore Diablo fan before joining Blizzard,” Boyarsky says as we begin talking. “I played them, of course, and I really liked them, but I usually like a lot more story depth in my games.” According to Boyarsky, what drew him to the project was what he sees as the franchise’s untapped potential for storytelling. “A lot of people are afraid that we’re going to slow the gameplay down by enriching the story parts of the game. We’re not doing that at all.” The idea is to use some simple cinematic techniques such as dialogue rather than monologue to convey quest information and crafting richer backstories for the main characters that will be reflected in their artwork and the way they view the central action of the story.

Start fapping.

Raapys

Arcane
Destroid said:
Raapys said:

I thought Diablo 3 was looking pretty good, but those shops look heaps better, especially the indoor ones.

Yeah, there are a few pictures which really show how good it could have looked with just a few changes to the colors & the over-sized item design. This one is an excellent example I think: http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... aftzs3.jpg

Binary

Liturgist
You Europeans always rooting for your grey and dark colors!...

...oh wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom