Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Background and enemies look awesome, characters look like more detailed WoW characters. Hopefully not all the armor looks that absurd. Barbarian armor always did look over the top, and the witch doctor seems to be a much flashier necromancer. Having the male/female option is really cool. Level design makes use of the 3d, which is nice to see. Hopefully they aren't all so linear though. As usual, all the stuff I really want to know will be a secret until after it's released. I hope it doesn't turn into another linear quest treadmill like D2 was, and I hope they fixed up the 99% of all magic items are worthless crap that adds +1 mana or some shit (Assuming it isn't one of the 4 out of 5 weapon types that you can't really use anyways.) problem. Healing magic might actually be necessary in group play if potions aren't available.

That was also just the most iconic area they could show us. No guarantee act 2 isn't crammed full of jungle hobbits.

I liked the bit they did with Cain though. If they have randomized quests and dungeons (Properly random, not this turns this way instead of that with the same enemies shit.) I'm probably sold.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, looks like the D3 guys really liked the Lord of the Rings movies.

Now the Blizzard page is at a standstill, damn nerds.

Raapys

Arcane
Unfortunately just about everything fantasy-related has been greatly inspired by the LotR movies after their arrival.

aboyd

Liturgist
Kingston said:
Weird changes to health. Instead of pots you pick up globes from monsters and they heal all your friends too.
I may know the source of your discomfort. The idea was taken from the (failed) game Lionheart. Remember that?

Destroid

Arcane
If you watch the cinematics they have a Gondor look a like in there :(

Also, +1 on health spheres being sucky.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Less sucky than reducing a battle to "who has the most potions".
If this video looks like a "cheap Titan Quest knock-off" you are retarded and blind.

Raapys

Arcane
Jasede said:

I'm not so sure about that. People liked Diablo 2 and how it worked there. Why change what isn't broken?

Chefe

Erudite
Jasede said:
If this video looks like a "cheap Titan Quest knock-off" you are retarded and blind.

If you can't see that then you are delusional.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Raapys said:
Jasede said:

I'm not so sure about that. People liked Diablo 2 and how it worked there. Why change what isn't broken?

Look, if they wanted to they could release Diablo 3 as Diablo 2, just with four different acts, new items and a new story. But what's wrong with them trying to grow? Let them try something else. If it won't work out, game and beta-testers are gonna find out. Personally, I'd think a health-orb system is harder to get to "work" than a potion-system but has other benefits - such as preventing battles of attrition.

Raapys

Arcane
Change != growth. If it was like you say that if the system wasn't good they'd find out in Beta and remove it, then I'd have no problem. If they didn't, however, then this wouldn't be the first time we've seen sequels to great games become ruined by design choices that were supposed to make the game more 'fun'.

Then again, this is Blizzard, so we'll see how it turns out.

Destroid

Arcane
True, from listening to them in the video, they kept talking about everything they were doing to make sure you kept chopping up bad guys and didnt have to go to town etc. Taking away some aspects of gameplay (inv management and ensuring you were suitably supplied) which I guess is pretty bland in Diablo, but is an important part of some other roguelikes.

Streamlining is not always a good thing, especially for an already basic game.

Armacalypse

Scholar
The potion system in these kinds of games is absolutely retarded. I'd rather say Oblivion has the best roleplaying in any game than say the classic ARPG potion system is OK in any way at all.

This orb thing seems kinda random though. They could make it so that the character's health recharges when no enemies are aware of him, so that you can't just run away and heal like in Halo as the man says in the video. In addition they could give every character life steal skills to in order to make the player able turn the tides of battle in less retarded ways than just clicking the potion buttons.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:

Agree with Chefe. The game is the same and the only difference is that one receives praise while the other gets bashed. It's just shameful the way Codexers drool over yet another hack n slasher just because of the name and nostalgia, while not being even aware that bashing other, similar slashers is hypocritical. All of Diablo clones have been rightly done, with the same one-element dated and extremely limited "gameplay", lack of ambitious design, generic settings and stories but you just refuse to believe it out of some irrational love for the series from the past.

What's worse is that many of Codexers are cumming for teh grafix and dismiss other ARPGs just because they look worse than D3.

The feature list is laughable. Not a single innovation other than weapons getting stuck in walls. They are keeping on purpose this dated design while they could be realizing actual P&P, for the sake of the sheepeople who can't look beyond what is fed them. This is just for money because they can't make another MMOG while WoW is yet so popular; real artists want to improve themselves and not make a shinier copy of their previous work.

I knew I couldn't escape the gushing orgasms on websites such as Shitspot, but I definitely couldn't foresee dick sucking of such magnitude on the Codex.

Ausir

Arcane
So it isn't an rpg in my limited understanding of the word, and shouldn't really be compared to that standard.

Old school D&D used to be more like Diablo than like any of what is now considered an RPG.

Raapys

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Agree with Chefe. The game is the same and the only difference is that one receives praise while the other gets bashed. It's just shameful the way Codexers drool over yet another hack n slasher just because of the name and nostalgia, while not being even aware that bashing other, similar slashers is hypocritical. All of Diablo clones have been rightly done, with the same one-element dated and extremely limited "gameplay", lack of ambitious design, generic settings and stories but you just refuse to believe it out of some irrational love for the series from the past.

Flawless logic. All hack'n'slash games are just as good, just like all RTS, FPS and RPG games are just as good as the other RTS, FPS and RPG games. We have a winner.

Texas Red

Whiner
Raapys said:
Dark Individual said:

Flawless logic. All hack'n'slash games are just as good, just like all RTS, FPS and RPG games are just as good as the other RTS, FPS and RPG games. We have a winner.

Don't be an idiot. There is only 1 gameplay element in ARPGs while everything else is nonexistent or secondary. True RPGs are compromised of much more. That's why they are called Diablo *clones*, the calling implies identicalness due to the simplicity.

Crichton

Prophet
All of Diablo clones have been rightly done, with the same one-element dated and extremely limited "gameplay", lack of ambitious design, generic settings and stories but you just refuse to believe it out of some irrational love for the series from the past.

+1

Why play an "action RPG" when you could be playing a game with real "action" and stats? i.e. a shooting game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.), a swordfighting game (G1 or G2, Jedi Academy allows for different character types, so does Blade of Darkness, even Oblivion has blocking and combos) or some sort of shooting/driving mashup (GTA: SA or Mass Effect). Basically, what's the point of "playing" a game if the only time it requires input from you is the level-up screen?[/quote]

Raapys

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Don't be an idiot. There is only 1 gameplay element in ARPGs while everything else is nonexistent or secondary. True RPGs are compromised of much more. That's why they are called Diablo *clones*, the calling implies identicalness due to the simplicity.

And all FPS games are Doom clones. Does that make them all just as good?

Not that I agree with your assessment in any case, as I think there are many things that combine to make the Diablo games as good as they. In Diablo 1 it's mostly the atmosphere, which is argueably the best ever seen in any game. In Diablo 2 the atmosphere isn't quite as good( although still better than all these 'clones' ), but they've instead managed to implement an unsurpassed itemization system, great classes, many and diverse skills, lite-crafting, tons of weapons/armor, increasing difficulties with better loot, etc. Not to mention that it really feels good to kill something, which is obviously maybe the most important factor in these games. They also offer a great multiplayer coop mode.

So the problem is that these clones usually fail to improve or even live up to Diablo 1/2 in any of these areas, even though the games do the same thing.

The clones usually have: Poor atmosphere, boring itemization system, boring/few/similar classes and skills, not half as fun combat, boring areas, no or worse randomization, etc.. Some games might do as good or even better than Diablo in specific areas, but on the whole the games are usually very sub-par.

For that reason Diablo 2 is still by far the most popular of these games, and *Diablo 1* is still topping Gamespot's Top 100 list.

Truth

Scholar
Destroid said:
If you watch the cinematics they have a Gondor look a like in there :(

Also, +1 on health spheres being sucky.

Game looks great and fun. It's like the guy in the video was saying...it's about smashing things and loot and smashing things with a buddy. Looks more polished right now than most games released nowadays. The health sphere thing streamlines things in a good way and brings with it an arcade game-ish (Gauntlet) feel. Probably still have potions around for those boss fights where there aren't any enemies around to drop health.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't really care about it being streamlined or whatever, but this makes it possible to actually have challenging interactive gameplay. Diablo 2 and it's clones have always simply involved standing there tanking whatever came your way. As long as you spent enough money on pots and didn't die in less than 2 seconds you'd be fine.

From the looks of the video, a lot of the melee attacks can (And are meant to be) dodged, instead of just the old hail of arrows you had to sidestep a bit before. Boss fights are going to be a lot more interesting if you actually have to avoid the damage instead of just having high enough stats to tank their hits while constantly chugging pots.

Abilities might actually get balanced based on mana cost this time around too, compared to before when the only difference between firebolt and meteor cost was was a few gold for the mana pot.

Truth

Scholar
Ah battle.net. It's like the Codex, if everyone were a dumbfuck.

"WoW players stay out" heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom