Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

aboyd

Liturgist
Suicidal said:
At first I thought: "Meh, it will be just yet another ARPG. Sure, Diablo 2 was fun, but some things get boring sooner or later"

Then I watched the video and it somehow managed to capture my attention and made me want the game.
Weird. I was just the opposite. At first I thought, "Finally! Yes!" Then as I watched them slog through wave after wave of enemies, I started to get bored. The big ending monster was refreshing, but then 1000 skeletons popped up and I was right back to, "Ugh. Really? I have to bother fighting all of them? Is there a cleric that can just turn them all in one round so I can get on with things?"

Maybe I'm just built wrong. I'm the odd man out for not being impressed. I'll probably like it a lot more if I try multiplayer with my kids.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Diablo 3 design discussion panel coming up. Time to find out what (if anything) will make D3 worth getting over D2 (or D1).

EDIT: Hurrr, slow.

Suicidal

Arcane
aboyd said:
Then as I watched them slog through wave after wave of enemies...

That's exactly what I like about Diablo. The enemies literally come in waves and swarm you from all directions. Unlike most ARPGs (Diablo clones), where you get assaulted by 5-10 monsters, Diablo constantly throws several dozens at you and lets you enjoy the bloodbath.

No other ARPG made slaughtering things so satisfying as Diablo games did for me.

Raapys

Arcane
I read it, it basically just tells his story about what happens through Diablo1&2. Didn't see anything about D3 there.

What's with the stream though? Stopped loading here.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Works fine for me. Guy with double-chin is talking about features. Sounds sweet.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, don't really like the health changes myself. Also don't like how they're gonna make the inventory 1slot'ish instead of grid.

Gerrard

Arcane
No more grid inventory.
Now we just need an option to instantly sell items without going back to town.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
aboyd said:
At first I thought, "Finally! Yes!" Then as I watched them slog through wave after wave of enemies, I started to get bored. The big ending monster was refreshing, but then 1000 skeletons popped up and I was right back to, "Ugh. Really? I have to bother fighting all of them? Is there a cleric that can just turn them all in one round so I can get on with things?"
My thoughts exactly. Nothing too interesting here.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Excuse me, but I thought the point of Diablo is to slog through thousands of monsters that just keep coming.

It's the Serious Sam of action RPGs.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
SolInvictus> PErfectl.
<SolInvictus> I love this answer.
<SolInvictus> He can't talk about the crafting system ^^
[16] <SolInvictus> The game will be perfect.

SolInvictus> Diablo 3 will retain the features that made D1 and D2 fantastic.
SolInvictus> While improving on them with revolutionary new methods.
SolInvictus> With, for instance, the loot system.
SolInvictus> And the health orbs.

SolInvictus> Gamers don't really know what they want most of the time. They complain about things like, the addition of respecs in Diablo 3. So what? If you were to remove respecs, you'd complain about how it's too hardcore or how making a mistake costs you an entire character.

[16] <SolInvictus> Yamuu, the game developers with the knowledge and experience of having many successful games under their belt, along with design philosophy, know better than your average gamer.
[16] <SolInvictus> The average gamer will come to appreciate a good game as he plays it.
[16] <SolInvictus> Regardless of his preconceptions.

SolInvictus> Guys, please try to cut down on your use of hyperbole.
SolInvictus> Hyperbole does not make for powerful arguments.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Kingston said:
:lol:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
Excuse me, but I thought the point of Diablo is to slog through thousands of monsters that just keep coming.

I got this with Diablo 1. What's the thing that's supposed to make me buy Diablo 3? It certainly isn't its visual side, as the 1st part seemed definitely less cartoony.

Raapys

Arcane
Elwro said:
Jasede said:

I got this with Diablo 1. What's the thing that's supposed to make me buy Diablo 3? It certainly isn't its visual side, as the 1st part seemed definitely less cartoony.

The story and new skills/classes/items/areas. Basically what any other sequel has to offer over the original.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Raapys said:
The story and new skills/classes/items/areas. Basically what any other sequel has to offer over the original.

If theres story enough to make it more like divine divinity I might consider buying it. I dont remember much of story in the previous diablos allthough I didnt play it much further than the starting village and the few NPCs there.

To quote one diablofan abt the game:

It's a combat grind game at its purest form. It's all combat and items, and min-maxing your character build. It has a plot, sort of, conveyed through excellent cinematic interludes as much as anything in the gameplay, but the plot is really peripheral to the strategy of constructing different character templates and implementing their skills.

So it isn't an rpg in my limited understanding of the word, and shouldn't really be compared to that standard. It's a game about finding ways to survive at the higher difficulties, and they are intricate, complicated and painstaking ways that take oceans of repetitive killing and leveling and item specialization. Without the right item enhancements your perfect build is still not perfect.

roshan

Arcane
Raapys said:
Elwro said:
Jasede said:

The story of D2 pretty much sucked, a lot. So did the setting, which they butchered by adding fantasy creatures such as jungle hobbits and catwomen.

Destroid

Arcane
Is it just me or do the giant fat undead guys and witch doctors just make you think of warcraft 3?

The interactivity with the environment is pretty awesome visually. I doubt it will actually be very useful for gameplay though. Barbarian seems to have shooty spells?

Also, lol at locusts killing skeletons.

Black

Arcane
Kingston said:

<SoundW> get your ass back to #fallout
<SolInvictus> hell no.

:(
Where is teh luv??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom