Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Truth said:
Ah battle.net. It's like the Codex, if everyone were a dumbfuck.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
"WoW Discrimination"
"Screw WOW and all you WOW wh0res!"
"To all the WoW fanboys"

This is almost as bad as the Darkfall forums.

Norfleet

Truth said:
[Game looks great and fun. It's like the guy in the video was saying...it's about smashing things and loot and smashing things with a buddy. Looks more polished right now than most games released nowadays. The health sphere thing streamlines things in a good way and brings with it an arcade game-ish (Gauntlet) feel.
It's not Gauntlet unless you're cursing your buddies for shooting the food.

Binary

Liturgist
Seems this topic is somewhat divided between the "new school RPers" who can't stand Diablo, and the "old school RPers" who are looking forward to this third installment.

IMHO, don't fix what ain't broken. I'd be happy with just a souped up Diablo 2.

*sigh* suddenly I'm missing Diablo 2. Who's in for some MP?

Destroid

Arcane
I would have been much more accepting of this change to health drops if instead of potions they either:

1. They were roast chickens and turnips.
2. You could feast upon the bodies of your slain enemies.

roshan

Arcane
Crichton said:
All of Diablo clones have been rightly done, with the same one-element dated and extremely limited "gameplay", lack of ambitious design, generic settings and stories but you just refuse to believe it out of some irrational love for the series from the past.

+1

Why play an "action RPG" when you could be playing a game with real "action" and stats? i.e. a shooting game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.), a swordfighting game (G1 or G2, Jedi Academy allows for different character types, so does Blade of Darkness, even Oblivion has blocking and combos) or some sort of shooting/driving mashup (GTA: SA or Mass Effect). Basically, what's the point of "playing" a game if the only time it requires input from you is the level-up screen?

In case you havent figured it out already, no one plays action RPGs for the action.

jaylittle

Scholar
roshan said:
In case you havent figured it out already, no one plays action RPGs for the action.
Yeah it's like playing Barbie or something to these people. Once upon a time I enjoyed Diablo I and I've even beaten Diablo II once or twice. But over the years, every time I install Diablo II again, I find that I just cannot stomach it. It's literally an endless stream of mouse clicking on an endless stream of enemies. The combat is really just a wrapper around a character skill and dress up system for the most part. Combat doesn't even embody any real sort of tactics, it mainly relies upon your character build and your ability to click really fucking quickly. The quests aren't even really meaningful, but only serve as window dressing for the excuse to kill a lot of shit.

Or did I just describe World of Warcraft? My relationship with that game is much like the one I have with Diablo II. I start off really in to it, but once I start playing it doesn't take long for all of this dawn upon me and stop the game cold. I've gotta give Blizzard props though. They really have managed to attract and hold a number of people with their games. They clearly know what the average non-hardcore players what out of a game and they are more than willing to serve it up to them. At the end of the day, it's hard to find anything wrong with that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Binary said:
Seems this topic is somewhat divided between the "new school RPers" who can't stand Diablo, and the "old school RPers" who are looking forward to this third installment.

diablo is old school? oh goodie

*I'm in for some Diablo1 MP right now *

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I threw my Diablo 2 CD away after we hardcore-ladder'd on BNET to ~level 85 with the Codex, KC, metallix and a few others, Binary. I got a full Trang-Oul's set and looked like a vampire.

You should make a thread, I bet they wouldn't mind another go! It was really, really fun and metallix knows what he's doing so I don't think you'd die. Plus, HC is so much more fun!

Raapys

Arcane
Playing original Diablo 2 now that the Eastern Sun mod is out is a waste of time, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't see why. Mods are awful; I've never ever seen a mod that didn't make everything awful by adding lots of stuff that isn't needed and sticks out like a legion of sore thumbs.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd be up for some hardcore Diablo II. I'd have to install it at work, though, so I could play with all you crazy Europeans.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I just can't seem to get excited about D3.

I think Divine Divinity was much like Diablo only better. It has more RPG and quest elements then does Diablo. I think I might go and replay it again soon.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Jasede said:
I threw my Diablo 2 CD away after we hardcore-ladder'd on BNET to ~level 85 with the Codex, KC, metallix and a few others, Binary. I got a full Trang-Oul's set and looked like a vampire.

You should make a thread, I bet they wouldn't mind another go! It was really, really fun and metallix knows what he's doing so I don't think you'd die. Plus, HC is so much more fun!

Yes, but you were a horrible snoob and we were guiding you the whole time. And you totally asked us the whole time "is this item any good?" etc. when it wasn't. And then you traded some awesome item for some shitty item and we all facepalmed. And Atrokkus was being all elitist.

No, you can't drag me into it again. That'd be like the fourth time D2 consumes my life.

Binary

Liturgist
skyway said:
Binary said:

diablo is old school? oh goodie

*I'm in for some Diablo1 MP right now *

That's not what I said... I said old school RP'ers appreciate Diablo 2 more.

New school RPGers just go "waaaahhh no C&C" and QQ moar ;)

My D2 CDs are still in Portugal so yesterday I ordered D2+LoD off ebay. Let's get this D2 thread started (I never played HC help help)

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
HC is easy if you know what you are doing. Just pray you don't get horrible lag, not even once. Having you level 80ish amazon die in the Den of Evil in Hell difficulty is funny because it was your own fault, having your lvl 80ish assassin die because of ten seconds of lag is not.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Eldar_Alaitoc_Autarch_with_Power_Sword.jpg

I would not play Diablo 2 again. I quit a long while before the others because the game is not fun.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:
I think Divine Divinity was much like Diablo only better. It has more RPG and quest elements then does Diablo. I think I might go and replay it again soon.

I never liked diablo much either but DD (desc. as 1-1 copy of d2 with spices from BG and ultima7) I played through almost twice and finished up the not-so-good beoynd divinity too. Interesting to see how Divine Divinity 2 will end up - it wont be isometric anymore though iirc.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Zakhal said:
Saxon1974 said:

I never liked diablo much either but DD (desc. as 1-1 copy of d2 with spices from BG and ultima7) I played through almost twice and finished up the not-so-good beoynd divinity too. Interesting to see how Divine Divinity 2 will end up - it wont be isometric anymore though iirc.

Hard to think it will be anyting like DD because its going to be first person like the best game ever Oblivion.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm kinda happy all my D2 mp characters have expired. I feel like a heavy burden was lifted. I'm a bit sad about my battle necro though, I loved spamming bone spear and blasting those corpses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom