Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
corpse explosion is awesome now plus i got a moribund gauntlet on my first try so i ended up having a very nice and easy run to lvl 70 just running around after my flesh golem blowing up motherfuckers who got near him.

jackofshadows

Magister
In celebration of D2 turning 20, I played through D3 again (did that once on the initial release).
What a horrible experience in every perceivable way.
Terrible character building (as in, it doesn't actually exist, you just pick everything for free at any time, no commitment necessary whatsoever), terrible story with terrible endings for old characters, terrible graphics style, complete lack of challenge (on Expert, wtf?) and still no satisfying summoner class.

So... what a great present for D2 to still be, by quite a margin, the best game in the franchise.
Well, D3 on release was an absolute dogshit game. What you've just experienced was basically the same thing, just with increased item drops on the way and some expansion features. It's highly enjoyable game (especially in MP) but it begins on the highest level and in any other but story mode (nobody playing it for a long, long time). At this point, it's so different that hardly even comparable to vanilla D2.

Garyxeao88

Novice
I don't like Diablo 3, either. In my opinion, I prefer Diablo 2 Resurrected. I think D3 is a very fast-paced and super flashy in-your-face arcade feeling game, but D2R is much slower-paced, it requires far more time and dedication to get far into higher difficulties.

Last edited:

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Playing through the campaign, to catch up on the story before D4.

I had forgotten how horribly written the villains are. Maghda & Azmodan keep updating me on what they've done, and what they're up to next. Like Maghda projecting herself to let me know that she's headed to Cain's house to steal the sword fragments (which she likely would've gotten away with if she hadn't told me). Azmodan is supposed to be the most brilliant tactician of Hell, but sounds & acts like a dumbed down brainlet Bond villain who just can't resist the temptation of revealing all his plans. And Zolton Krulle's plan relies on him gaining my trust, but he has the subtlety of Master Pain in Kung Pow.

It's also bad writing that Tyrael just chills at the hub most of the game, for no apparent reason. He's probably the most powerful warrior after the Nephalem, surely he could take a more proactive role.

Oh well, at least D4 (from what I've seen so far) appears to have much better writing than this.

Last edited:
The villains were meh but the micro level stories like the blacksmith or (IIRC) the jeweler were good. I played a male demon hunter and my character's voice acting and dialogue was good. I was invested in killing Adria in Reaper of Souls. I was interested to see where the story would go after RoS' ending but sadly the second expansion never came to fruition.

Tyrael should have been a companion, but Blizzard probably decided against that because most players would just roll with him all the time rather than the other companions who have far less screentime and no relevance to the main story, which would harm replayability in Blizzard's eyes.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
The writing is getting increasingly infuriating. It goes without saying that the Nephalem would protect the black soulstone containing all prime evils & lesser evils (after the defeat of Azmodan), but no, he remains behind for no apparent reason and lets Adria prance off with it. He should already have many reasons to distrust her. And what's the first thing Diablo does when he returns? Explain to the Nephalem what just happened, and tell him his plan, and where he's going next. Even women & minorities should roll their eyes at how ham-fisted this writing it.

I'll just imagine that my character wanted Diablo to return so that he could fight him, I guess. :?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
No Diablo game has good writing. As long as it doesn't impede gameplay, it doesn't matter.

No Diablo game has good writing. As long as it doesn't impede gameplay, it doesn't matter.
Diablo 1's writing was pretty economical and exposition was understated. It was decent pulp, if nothing else. A far cry from the overwrought ridiculous modern popamole.

Old popamole > new popamole, by a mile.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing through the campaign, to catch up on the story before D4.

I had forgotten how horribly written the villains are.

... What? Why? :lol:

Lord knows Diablo is a plot driven enterprise and the Citizen Kane of video games.

Oh well, at least D4 (from what I've seen so far) appears to have much better writing than this.

I guess? You and the three other people who care about Diablo's story beats should be super happy then.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
D1 & D2 have a grimdark visual style & atmosphere that it's easy to be immersed in. The villains (such as Lazarus, the Wanderer, Mephisto, and Baal) behave in a way that suits the setting, and are kept mysterious throughout most of the games.

D3 is very cartoony by comparison. The villains make constant appearances to taunt you (in a lame Evil Betty kind of way), and usually sound as though they're consuming massive copium, saying things like "I didn't need that hellgate you destroyed anyway!"). While there's much bad writing to go around in all the games, the D3 writing is uniquely shit-tier compared to the rest. It's not only shit, it's intrusive and "constantly in your face" shit.

What I like about D4 (so far...) is that the art style and atmosphere is much closer to D2, that the prologue was quite good, and that the villains don't seem like comical characters (and aren't overused). It's so much easier to stay immersed when you aren't constantly bombarded by D3-style annoyances.

Psquit

Arcane
I forgot the writing of D3 was so terrible that my reaction of seeing the little prince in the sewers was "Hi Belial". Like how obvious can the twist be? Also was anyone surprised by Adria's betrayal? :lol:
What's actually fun is how the devs hyped Leah as a "reinvented the wheel" type of character, but had 0 relevance to the story outside of getting duped by his satanic mother to revive Diablo(can't also take this dude seriously, he got destroyed in d1, granted imperfect form... but in d2 he was already at full power and in d3 basically a god). Did they really trust a devil-worshipper sob story? Magda was like: "omg, we were besties! why did you leave the covenant?"

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
The story thus far:
  • If we simply kill the Prime Evils they'll just come back. We should trap them in these soul gems!
  • The soul gems were corrupted by Tyrael's buddy. But if we smash them at the Hellforge then the souls of the Prime Evils will be destroyed!
  • Actually their souls won't be destroyed, but they'll be banished to the Abyss (and come back later)!
  • Actually they'll be drawn into the black soulstone instead (because Adria pegged all the Prime Evils & Lesser Evils)!
  • Ok all Evils are trapped in the black soulstone. Let's chill where we killed Azmodan and let the witch Adria & little firecrotch waltz off with it.
  • Ok all Evils were released (women...) & fused into the Prime Evil, which has also been trapped. Golden opportunity to end the Eternal Conflict, Angels!
  • Nvm, Tyrael hid the black soulstone in an obvious place where Malthael could just fetch it. Tyrael is black btw.
  • Malthael's sole purpose is to destroy all demonic essence, but he smashes the black soulstone, releasing all demonic essence. All angels are probably black btw.
  • Stage set for D4!

Sykar

Arcane
More importantly all the participants in the story are utterly retarded. Must be because NuBlizzshit writers are batshit retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom