Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Merry Christmas!

fuck off idiot you should have been ip banned

And the weirdos immediately tell on themselves every time. :lol: Nice to hear your convictions behind those enlightening opinions.

Prime Junta

The Codex: Disco is pretentious hipster shit and also a commercial flop

(Disco wins all the awards and goes up two categories on steamspy)

The Codex: Disco is commercial mainstream normie bait

Don’t ever change, Codex :love:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But pretentious hipster stuff is precisely normie bait. It pulls all the right strings - "deep rpg with no combat" (aka soccer dads won't have to do anything other than read), "deep komplex writung" (aka I don't understand some of the vocab and the syntax is confusing which must mean it's sublime), "incredible nonlinearity" (i get different skillchecks that ultimately matter little but the smokes and mirrors is what counts), "politicool content" (i can post pics of my agenda-based character on twitter!!!), etc. It's like being surprised about the popularity/criticool acclaim of The Walking Dead.

Merry Christmas!

And one soothsayer saw all of this success coming. The Codex is really a barrel of laughs sometimes. :lol:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

And one soothsayer saw all of this success coming. The Codex is really a barrel of laughs sometimes. :lol:

Did they forgive you or what?

Harthwain

Magister
i'm not irritated at all, just pointing out true facts
More like stating an opinion. I mean, that's fine and all, but not really the same as "pointing out true facts".

You say it's "pretentious", but for a lot of people the theme and the writing is striking really close home. Mainly because they are during their own midlife crisis. At the same time it allows you to do some hilarious things to take the edge off, so it's not all bleak. Then you make a claim that "soccer dads don't like anything other than read", which is exactly a reverse of what I heard and keep hearing still: that people don't like to read and readership keeps plummeting. Then you make a claim that people like something they can't understand. And that "politicool content" even matters to people (as in: the general public taking it seriously), when the only people it seems to really matter to are people who feel offended by any inclusion of communism or mention of feminism.

If any one the above were true, then Tides of Numenera should've been a hit. It wasn't.

Last edited:

Merry Christmas!

More like stating an opinion. I mean, that's fine and all, but not really the same as "pointing out true facts".

You say it's "pretentious", but for a lot of people the theme and the writing is striking really close home. Mainly because they are during their own midlife crisis. At the same time it allows you to do some hilarious things to take the edge off, so it's not all bleak. Then you make a claim that "soccer dads don't like anything other than read", which is exactly a reverse of what I heard and keep hearing still: that people don't like to read and readership keeps plummeting. Then you make a claim that people like something they can't understand. And that "politicool content" even matters to people (as in: the general public taking it seriously), when the only people it seems to really matter to are people who feel offended by any inclusion of communism or mention of feminism.

If any one the above were true, then Tides of Numenera should've been a hit. It wasn't.

I don't think he thought too hard about those opinions. Just being biased against anything successful imo. You see that a lot with people, like when a band goes from underground cult following to blowing up with success, some are going to suddenly feel jaded and antagonistic towards the band for becoming successful. It's the human condition, bro.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What a bunch of bullshit, lol. DE doesn't win awards or appear on Time magazine because it's a great niche game that mainstreamites love, it's due to marketing and perhaps bribery or other ulterior motives. Minecraft is more of a niche success story than DE. Like buffalo bill said, there are a lot of other better games which deserve these accolades, but they don't win because it's not about quality or even mainstream appeal.

Merry Christmas!

What a bunch of bullshit, lol. DE doesn't win awards or appear on Time magazine because it's a great niche game that mainstreamites love, it's due to marketing and perhaps bribery or other ulterior motives. Minecraft is more of a niche success story than DE.

So a couple of dirt poor Estonians bribed Time freaking Magazine? Makes sense. Pass me that pipe, bro.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You don't make a game like Disco Elysium with no budget, that's hilariously out of touch.

Merry Christmas!

They certainly didn't have Time Magazine bribe money. And did they bribe the awards shows, too? Bribes for everyone from those deep Estonian pockets!

Harthwain

Magister
What a bunch of bullshit, lol. DE doesn't win awards or appear on Time magazine because it's a great niche game that mainstreamites love, it's due to marketing and perhaps bribery or other ulterior motives. Minecraft is more of a niche success story than DE. Like buffalo bill said, there are a lot of other better games which deserve these accolades, but they don't win because it's not about quality or even mainstream appeal.
Any list is going to be subjective. TIME or no TIME. But to me the reason for all the nominations isn't "bribery or other ulterior motives", but something very basic and simple: the game is really good. Or at least good enough for the majority of people to think so. Even here, on the Codex.

Edit: Unless you really believe in some sort of conspiracy, but we had Jenkem's retarded thread for that.

Prime Junta

Bruh, see your shrink cuz that’s a paranoid fantasy.
This is like saying films which win Oscars do so because of their quality. You should know better than that.

Dude. Put down the crack pipe and think for a moment. ZA/UM have no publisher. They’re newcomers to the whole game industry scene. They barely had the budget to make the game. They’re doing their own marketing. How in the name of fuck would they have gotten the kind of resources to buy four game awards from under the noses of industry giants and get lauded by the likes of TIME, Le Monde, Washington Post, NY Times, never even mind game media? It’s a dirty business for sure but they’re minnows in a shark tank.

Critics love the game. Nobody says you have to agree with them. But the kind of universal acclaim Disco is getting cannot be bought, at least not with the kind of budget a bunch of Estonian commies can rustle up. Deal with it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Except I gave other reasons for it to be popular and not only bribery. My main point is that it doesn't win because of its quality. It's a circus of pretentiousness.

The Real Fanboy
Even China is involved in marketing Disco Elysium:
8mfb09he28541.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom