Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Harthwain

Magister

Terenty

Liturgist

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join Rebekah Valentine, news reporter for IGN, as she sits down with the team from Studio ZA/UM, responsible for smash-hit Disco Elysium. Grab a cuppa and listen to Justin and Argo as they cover what it takes to build such an expansive narrative.

Trippy

Novice
I largely agree with the Codex churlishness but have major cognitive dissonance with the hive mind antagonism over this game.

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11316

The hive mind is expressed in weird, basement-dwelling explosions of inherited bigotry and posturing nationalism, Infinitron! Not polls!

Anyways, fair dues. I didn't know. I'm a lurker deep in the bowels of the CRPG forums and somehow hadn't found this thread yet nor the GOTY polls. Everywhere else people just blather about how this is an Evil Commie Game, which I found baffling because I love this shit and I am literally the polar opposite of some Engelsian commie. Nor do I find Engelsian communism all that 'evil' anyway, despite being a 'capitalist.' But that's another conversation. Anyway, whatever 'leftist agenda' others are finding in this game just isn't actually there.

Seriously, the way this game abstracts dice-roll mechanics into an existentialist gameplay of your inner psychology is just... fucking brilliant.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/632470/view/3324233322420643394
Patch Notes [14.06.22]
Update your game to version 11b099c0 to implement the latest fixes and optimisations.
23657e82de88241bcbfd3231e13fbf937628b546.jpg

• Inventory items are now loaded in sync, so players will no longer see blank spaces in their inventory.

• Resolved ownership issues relating to firearms. Just regular police business.

• Solved issues surrounding the horseback statue. No more dialogue getting stuck!

• Orbs are back and visible in some locations again.

• Fixed issues related to the mouse cursor.

Warning! The following bug fixes contain spoilers for the game:

• Fixed issue with players getting stuck

• Fixed the animation
If you encounter any bugs during the game, please report them here for our team to investigate.

You can view a full archive of Disco Elysium patch notes by visiting the pinned posts in the 'Discussions' tab.

Ladonna

Arcane
Ok, so I finally finished the game. I could tell pretty quickly this was a labour of love by the developers and the story, as well as the reactivity by skills, were amazing. I found the plot, side quests and even the ending quite fitting, and because I went in without spoilers, surprising. Quite an emotional rollercoaster, and I kept thinking to myself as I played "I bet the lead devs themselves injected a lot of themselves into the game". Anyway, this game probably ranks up there in the top shelves of story fag RPG's I have played to date, even facing off well against Torment. Any storyfag is doing themselves a big disservice if they don't play this. Oh, and thank God I created an "intelligent, persuasive" character, because I can only imagine all the content a strong dummy character would miss in this one.

Great game.

iu

Saduj

Arcane
I agree with much of what the previous post says. I played smart, persuasive and trying to sober up and do right. But I don't think I necessarily got to see more or better content doing this. I know that by not playing a drunken asshole I missed out on the reverse flying double bird, for example. If I ever play this one again it will definitely be as a drunken disaster for the lulz.

Ladonna

Arcane
If I ever play this one again it will definitely be as a drunken disaster for the lulz.

Yeah, for sure. Kind of like a "Dumb Ogre Smasher" playthrough for Arcanum. Something to see the second time round. It does make me wonder whether a "good" ending could be achieved though, based on what happens, but I suppose it could be good depending on what views you have.

KVVRR

Learned
Playing as a total brainlet only makes the reveal of some stuff in the game even better though. I had no idea at all about the car until I crossed the bridge, and even then I was like "huh I wonder what that's about, let's wait..... oh. Oh Jesus fuck no. NO"

Ghulgothas

Arcane
There's a good degree of tailor-made dialogue tied to INT, PSY and FYS, fitting since they're this games Mage, Thief and Fighter in a way. Only one that felt dry and lacking in interject-text was MOT, it's better to have that as your go-to side-investment along with your main tree since it just ensues you have some base degree of coordinated competency as a human being.

Last edited:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

Join Rebekah Valentine, news reporter for IGN, as she sits down with the team from Studio ZA/UM, responsible for smash-hit Disco Elysium. Grab a cuppa and listen to Justin and Argo as they cover what it takes to build such an expansive narrative.

Thank God they put their pronouns in. How would anyone tell otherwise.

How can you tell?

Ladonna

Arcane

Thank God they put their pronouns in. How would anyone tell otherwise.

How can you tell?

Hey Cuno,

What are your next plans for a game? Going to have more adventures with the crazies in Revachol? Or something different?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Incloosiv: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/632470/view/3318605091410529354
New Update: Dyslexia-Friendly Fonts
Introducing more accessible fonts to Disco Elysium - The Final Cut to improve player experiences.
db068c4b37a4deb05738d92d6a62619cf7d5e3dc.png

The latest update to Disco Elysium - The Final Cut on PC introduces dyslexia-friendly fonts across most of our supported languages.

OpenDyslexic typeface will be used across English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian and Polish.

5b2f5d1203d51a0e61fc9a06691c69d861a44d3b.png

Nanum Square Round will be utilised for Korean and Adys for Russian. These fonts were chosen after careful consideration and consultations with translation teams and academics, but as always, feedback is welcome.

We are continuing to investigate dyslexia-friendly font types for traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese.

It’s important, especially for a game with over a million words, that we continue to make improvements to ensure everyone can have the best user experience during their time in Revachol.

To use dyslexia-friendly fonts in-game, make sure you have updated to version b8a132b0.

I demand a Comic Sans MS mode.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://zaumstudio.com/jobs/environment-concept-artist

Environment Concept Artist​

LOCATION​

UK/Remote

DATE POSTED​

26th July

ABOUT US:​

ZA/UM is a video game studio that in 2019 released the award-winning role-playing game Disco Elysium. We are based in the UK and Europe, we have offices in Porto, Brighton and London. Our team is spread across a number of countries around the globe. Currently, the team is composed of around 65 writers, artists, developers and producers.

THE ROLE:​

You are an experienced Concept Artist with a unique style and an eye for detail. You have a talent for visualising the unusual and fantastical, a passion for visual storytelling, and the experience to create and develop inspirational concepts. You can create and visualise new worlds and have a love for sci-fi and space. You understand that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in philosophy. You will work closely alongside a team of writers, artists and producers to help bring the creative vision to life.

WE OFFER:​

• Competitive salary.
  • Excellent career development opportunities
  • Support from more experienced colleagues
  • The chance to work with some of the best people in the video game industry.
  • Flexible hybrid work model - the ability to work remotely or from the office, with occasional required in person meetings.

RESPONSIBILITIES:​

• Work closely with our art director to create stunning visuals
  • Design environments, buildings and interiors in a sci-fi environment
  • World-build and create extraterrestrial environments and structures
  • Produce new iterations based on feedback
  • Create mood boards and visual guides to assist the creative team
  • Work closely with Art, Design, and Writing, to uphold Creative Direction
  • Contribute to the creative process

SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:​

• Strong painting skills
  • Creation of non-earth environments
  • Knowledge of 2D illustration or painting software
  • Good understanding of lighting, composition and colour theory
  • Strong communication skills
  • Comfortable working in remote teams

BONUSES:​

• An understanding of architecture or city planning
  • Experience with 3D/2D modelling software
  • A love of sci-fi and video games
  • Experience leading teams

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Interesting that this game gets so much love but Pathfinder: Kingmaker gets so much hate. I guess there are a lot of commies here. Granted Pathfinder has shit writing but so does Disco tbh. It just drones on and on like it is Tolkien talking about taking a shit while on a long walk.

I will say the voice acting is much better of the two but I would prefer to just turn it off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom