Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The game positions itself as a police procedural, Kurvitz and co have explicitly said it was influenced by The Wire, The Shield, and True Detective.
Calling The Wire a police procedural is like missing the point in a big way
It's more than this, sure. But it is also a police procedural.

If most people here approached Disco like Roguey, no wonder it gets so much flak. Leave it to Codexers to rob themselves of one of the best experiences in gaming by focusing on trivial things.

It reminds me of that old thread where someone said Arcanum is shit because they didn't like the inventory system.
Best experience in gaming? Are you smoking crack?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I actually like Roguey's approach. The game positions itself as a police procedural, Kurvitz and co have explicitly said it was influenced by The Wire, The Shield, and True Detective. If it's a police procedural, it should work as the police procedural. Whether the player is sensitive to the subtext -- that's up to him.

> The Wire
> Police Procedural

^ proving my point

Latro

Arcane
Leave it to Codexers to rob themselves of one of the best experiences in gaming by focusing on trivial things.
"one of the best"

more like one of the most realistic depictions of shit human life in all of gaming. i purposefully went full SDG for 2 days straight getting hammered and staying up all night for *muh immersion*. Played on the laptop too so I could play on the roof of the building i was living in at the time. The sun had just starting rising when i got to
the dream talking to Delores
. Won't get an experience like that with another game.
Cringe game for cringe ass muthas

ferratilis

Magister
If most people here approached Disco like Roguey, no wonder it gets so much flak. Leave it to Codexers to rob themselves of one of the best experiences in gaming by focusing on trivial things.

It reminds me of that old thread where someone said Arcanum is shit because they didn't like the inventory system.
Best experience in gaming? Are you smoking crack?
No, sir. I have never used drugs of any kind. I do, however, like good prose, and partake whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And finished. I can see why Euros like this game so much, it's like this SMBC comic only edgier. So much melancholy.

Once again my approach of going into a game expecting to hate it has paid off because I ended up really liking it. Kurvitz may be a groomer, a commie, a cringepeddler, and an incredibly poor businessman, but he can be a pretty good writer. Going into it just focusing on solving the case and being generally helpful also paid off. My favorite sidequest was Dead Body on the Boardwalk (which is the kind of emotionally manipulative stuff that writes itself :P). Here's the kind of cop I am:

F37ce54X0AEl2df

I am skeptical of what ZA/UM will produce in the future now that its soul has been removed, but I'll be more open-minded about Kurvitz's future endeavors.

ind33d

Educated
Seeing Ruby under the building one-shots you and gives you a game over even if you're at full health and wearing body armor with your gun out? Is this a joke? What absymal writing and game design. I just spent 30 hours achieving sobriety and fixing my expression and shaving my beard but I die to a loud sound? Even D&D allows saving throws. Absolutely anticlimactic waste of time. What am I supposed to do now, reload a save and metagame to not go into the room? You have a fucking quest to find her!

H1YbcPs.png

I have the achievement for making that chink my best friend and he won't even follow me to prevent an instant game-over?

It's even dumber because I was walking all over the map with max Perception to find the bullet traces for the boardwalk and island for hours, assumed I was doing something wrong, then read online that finding them is a scripted event. Who designed the last third of this game? Holy shit

EDIT: For anyone asking why I'm out of medkits, I kept saying "cock carousel" at every possible opportunity and took major damage

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
yeah, the game falls apart the moment you step out of Whirling but I'm aware of no "one-shot"
are you running with 1 health with no stimpaks?

ind33d

Educated
yeah, the game falls apart the moment you step out of Whirling but I'm aware of no "one-shot"
I saved literally all of my heals for a hypothetical final boss and had max Physical Instrument and two points in Endurance and Volition each plus walking around with the hanged man's body armor on at all times

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I saved literally all of my heals for a hypothetical final boss and had max Physical Instrument and two points in Endurance and Volition each plus walking around with the hanged man's body armor on at all times
yeah, I saw the edit now - I've played the thing twice but I've never went down a path of instadeath on that one, and I can't think of how one would, that's how the whole business of finding her resolves
you're in the right place doing the right thing, though
the "positive" outcomes are as satisfying as an instadeath lol

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I have the achievement for making that chink my best friend and he won't even follow me to prevent an instant game-over?
I have no idea what you're doing wrong. Open the gate for Kim and talk to him, then go back in man.

I would agree it's frustrating railroading that the game makes you think you can sneak up on her, but you can't no matter how quiet you are. A lot of aspects of the endgame are railroaded. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ind33d

Educated
I have no idea what you're doing wrong. Open the gate for Kim and talk to him, then go back in man.

I would agree it's frustrating railroading that the game makes you think you can sneak up on her, but you can't no matter how quiet you are. A lot of aspects of the endgame are railroaded. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's just really weird that you can't do that encounter yourself. Especially considering you have the ability to shoot the anodic musician but apparently not a murder suspect. One million IQ game design

KVVRR

Learned

It's just really weird that you can't do that encounter yourself. Especially considering you have the ability to shoot the anodic musician but apparently not a murder suspect. One million IQ game design
The confrontation with Ruby's one of the game's lowest points yeah, and it does railroad you quite a bit from there. I don't mind it because it leads to some VERY good moments afterwards but on my first playthrough I did find it quite annoying.

It makes sense that you can't really sneak up on her though. You're entering from the only exit, presumably shining a light all over the place and all she's got to do to catch you is turn on the machine. Still pretty annoying.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

The confrontation with Ruby's one of the game's lowest points yeah, and it does railroad you quite a bit from there. I don't mind it because it leads to some VERY good moments afterwards but on my first playthrough I did find it quite annoying.

It makes sense that you can't really sneak up on her though. You're entering from the only exit, presumably shining a light all over the place and all she's got to do to catch you is turn on the machine. Still pretty annoying.
"first" playthrough
you suggestin you partook in this crap more than once?

ind33d

Educated
RD8qd7R.png

Just finished Disco and got a goodish ending, but the instadeath earlier left a bad taste in my mouth. Still probably the best RPG ever made. The fact that the optimal way to play the game is changing all your clothes before every skill check is retarded, though

The Deserter and Don't Call Abigail should have been the same person. Would have been more interesting thematically if the culprit were an alcoholic just like Harry

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I believe a Harry with high savoir faire who shows up late at night should be able to catch her. She can't stay awake forever.

ind33d

Educated
I believe a Harry with high savoir faire who shows up late at night should be able to catch her. She can't stay awake forever.
I assume the budget ran out by the end of the game. I noticed you can brick your save by talking to Titus right before the tribunal so the shootout never happens. There's also a thought that tells you to follow the chain to go to the video store by walking into the water but that seems to be impossible outside of the dream sequence with Dei. After waking up on the island, Kim tells you to return to the mainland to sleep again, but the game ends by the time that would be possible, implying there was more content with Dolores that was cut. I also assume you can waste too much money so you can't afford to pay your rent and can't progress

All the phasmid stuff is retarded. They should have had the Deserter already dying from cancer when you find him and ironically you would have to use YOUR healing items to bring him back alive to be prosecuted. That's way more interesting than the slop we got

Visual Calculus is probably the best skill in any RPG, the 3D crime scene overlays are really impressive. Disco also has the best character development of any game: starting out as a hobo picking up trash and ending as a fully-armored robocop with four guns and a trenchcoat is incredible

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I also assume you can waste too much money so you can't afford to pay your rent and can't progress
If I recall correctly, Kim is supposed to bail you out one time by giving you an item to sale if you can't afford to pay the rent one time.

ind33d

Educated
There’s a way to afford to pay the rent? I thought I did everything I could and it wasn’t enough without Kim.
yeah, I paid every day until garte starts comping you the room for defending the whirling

perception lets you find free money everywhere

None

Scholar
Selling Kim's rims after he goes to sleep gives you a good amount of starting cash. Normally I'd feel bad, but I consider depriving Kim of spinning rims as doing him a favor. The cash is just a service fee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom