Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored by Arkane

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Blink too regenerates, but it is not quite permanent invisiblity levels of bullshit and there are not as many other aids, and you're forced to first person.

"Energy regen only works within current cell."

Of course. This is irrelevant. It still regenerates and at max cloak level drain is far less.

"Invisibility is very power hungry and takedown always eats an entire cell's worth of energy."

See above. Cloak max level, and regen rate max level. I should know, I've completed the game foxy pacifist entirely invisible, with moments of hiding in cover whilst it regenerates and stuffing candy bars to cut down on the number of times hiding to regenerate is necessary.

"You can't keep cloaking while punching people in the face without consumables, it's unsustainable."

Punching people is not a necessity, just run right past them invisible.

"Sticky cover is gamebreaking, but less so than ability to observe the environment undetected you get by using overhead routes in Dishonored."

Both as bad as each other. Cover is not always available, nor is overhead routes.

"Radar is of questionable utility as it only tracks target that have been acquired visually"

Questionable utility he says.

"OTOH blink is essentially free if you allow it to regen and it regens quickly, allowing for constant invisibility in conjunction with omnipresent overhead stealth routes."

It's range is more limited than sprinting with max level cloak & max level running speed.

"Both games have see through walls as purchaseable upgrades, Dishonored's version even projects real time 3D sight cone"

True.

Anyway, arguing which game is more popamole than the other is p. hilarious.

Dishonored has blink and AI that never, ever looks up, despite the multitude of rooftop and under-ceiling stealth routes.

That's not 100% true. Daud's assassins in particular are pretty good at noticing you when they are looking down or up. They also have a better line of sight than regular guards. Stilt walkers are the same I think... But otherwise, most guards are pretty oblivious unless they have 3 alert bars filled or whatever.

I don't like blink that much, but since the areas are designed around it, it's silly not to use it.

Edit: and yeah lots of combat here resembles DMOMM. The way enemies dodge/parry if you just button mash. The strange perception of distance between weapon and enemy. DMOMM just had tougher 1-2 enemy encounters whereas Dishonored just swarms you with canon fodder.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dishonored stealth is piss easy even with no powers and non-lethal. Only thing the game has going for it is the atmosphere.

True, I've played on v.hard and I had to count times I've died on one hand. I'll replay it with murder everything option to see a diffrence. Dishonored will never be a spiritual succesor to Thief with such AI and level design that let's player to hide so easily.

DraQ

Arcane
Dishonored has blink and AI that never, ever looks up, despite the multitude of rooftop and under-ceiling stealth routes.

That's not 100% true.
That's not the best way to set up a defense. :lol:
Dishonored stealth is piss easy even with no powers and non-lethal. Only thing the game has going for it is the atmosphere.

True, I've played on v.hard and I had to count times I've died on one hand. I'll replay it with murder everything option to see a diffrence. Dishonored will never be a spiritual succesor to Thief with such AI and level design that let's player to hide so easily.
Level design is great, but the AI is fucking crippled in its context. At least it handles you relatively well once it notices you.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Level design is great, but the AI is fucking crippled in its context. At least it handles you relatively well once it notices you.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can always make a high jump and the enemies will never notice you. I always will remember the Whiskey Brewery for doing that cheap lifebuoy. I really liked the game overall with it's original setting and desing made by Antonov, but the game wasn't challenging.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Completed this and the Daud DLC on the the highest non-unlockable difficulty level. Enjoyed it more than the Thiefs, despite the limitations of console hardware and the concessions made to attract a much larger audience, on account of it not having a bad level in the bunch. Speaking of Thief, there were a surprising number of references to that in this stealth-action game; they even cribbed the final "boss" sequence of the first one for the final Daud level (though I liked it more in Thief because rope arrows are more involving than time-freeze teleport-hax and there was a greater chance of getting caught since the final guy moved around a lot more than final girl). At least Daud didn't lose an eye to the plant-witch.

I remember skimming through various rumblings about how the writing's terrible, but I dunno, it didn't seem particular worse than Looking Glass-level writing to me, though it did do too much ego-stroking for my liking. I did appreciate how, unlike the Bioshocks, the audio logs made in-world sense. Even Bioshock 2 dropped the ball here at least once with that dumb log where Fontaine incriminates himself by switching to his Atlas voice.

2007-11 Lesi would have enjoyed this, considering she was a fan of the Assassin's Creed and Batman Arkham games and generally anything with good art direction and a high level of polish. Dunno if she would now, considering she's become a tunnel-vision feminist, and a lot of bad things happen and can happen to women. It's likely she'd gripe about how your only choice is to kill Lady Boyle or consign her to a rape dungeon for the rest of her life while ignoring how some of the other fates-worse-than-death doled out to the men are much worse. Though maybe not, if she's still into really grim settings.

I hope things work out well for the sequel. It's surprising to see a well-made, polished non-Bethesda Game Studios title published by Bethesda Softworks, and that could easily change, especially now that they're saddled with Expectations.

Silva

Arcane
Roguey said:
Completed this and the Daud DLC on the the highest non-unlockable difficulty level. Enjoyed it more than the Thiefs
Me too.

Even Thief having the better stealth and challenge, Dishonored was the most memorable experience for me.

Gimme Corvo and Daud anyday. Garret is old and was overrated even when young. Even Agent 47 and Fisher clean the floor with him.

Divinity: Original Sin
Roguey said:
Completed this and the Daud DLC on the the highest non-unlockable difficulty level. Enjoyed it more than the Thiefs
Me too.

Even Thief having the better stealth and challenge, Dishonored was the most memorable experience for me.

Gimme Corvo and Daud anyday. Garret is old and was overrated even when young. Even Agent 47 and Fisher clean the floor with him.

If they could find him.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://kotaku.com/dishonored-co-director-its-ok-for-games-to-be-mean-to-1726981392

Harvey say he and Raph had got a lot of pressure to cut the Samuel moment at the High Chaos version of last stage.

“There are moments when, like I said with Deus Ex, people really pushed me to put a big fight in Chateau DuClare, when you’re leading Nicolette DuClare around and she’s commenting on the rooms of the house,” he said. “And I fought and fought and fought not to do that. And a large percentage of players said, Oh that’s boring. But at least some players said, Wow, this was super pivotal for me; a game had never been like this before.

“And similarly with Dishonored, Raph”—that’s Raphael Colantonio, his co-creative director and the founder of Arkane Studios—“and I made the decision, near the end of the project, if you played very, very darkly—you not only killed to get to your goal, but you also went out of your way to kill the maids and everybody else, then at the very end of the game, Samuel Beechworth, the old man who’s been driving your boat around, he basically says, ‘I despise you for what you’ve become.’ And he pulls a flare gun out, and he fires it, and he says, ‘That’s why I’m warning them that you’re coming.’ He betrays you. And we got so much pressure to cut that from the game.

“Because people are not used to video game characters being mean to them, or telling them you’re not a hero, you’re a bad guy. Everybody just wants to be told in a video game that you’re great, no matter what you do. If you slaughter everybody—you killed the maids, you killed the old people, you killed the beggars—you’re great, here’s a medal, you’re a hero.

“We decided that sounds psychotic. It doesn’t match our values, it doesn’t match the way the world works, it doesn’t match the way any other fiction—imagine a novel where a guy wakes up in the morning, kills everybody in the house, goes down the street, kills everybody on the way to work, kills everybody in the office, and then at the very end of the novel, there is a scene where he is given a medal and made some sort of hero and anointed in some way. It doesn’t make any sense. What we wanted was to let you express yourself in the game, but to have the world react to that, at least in some way. Samuel Beechworth, betraying you and firing off that flare, was something we had to fight for.”

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Surprised that he basically admits on a public website Bethesda pressured him and Arkane during development. Can't wait to see how Pete Hines & his retards will react to this. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The godawful nightmare it must be to be locked in Bethesdas Big Brother philosophy on gaming. hammering mediocrity with such vigor! Astonishing, really.

Well, Arkane, Bethesda Game Studios, and Bethesda Softworks are all owned by Zenimax Media. Ultimately, every large scale decision about a "Bethesda" or "Arkane" game is made by Zenimax.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ha, reminds me of Dexter. The titular character was an awful fucking human being yet the executives wouldn't allow him to get his comeuppance, so the writers just kept pushing him as a goddamn superhero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom