Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disjointed notes on Hexen, with no relevance or order

DraQ

Arcane
Calem Ravenna said:
This is indeed very pretty, but tell me one thing - are the sprites horribly blurred abominations when in short view distance?
Well, you can always disable bilinear filtering for sprites in 'textures' section of control panel.

You can also do it with world textures if you find the contrast jarring.

reaven said:
So I decided to replay it as cleric on cardinal and Im fucking lost at 7 portals... Theres some switch I cant find and its becoming really frustrating...
I need to open the door to guardian of steel 2, I think, and its driving me nuts.
Odd, I don't think I've ever got seriously stuck there.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Calem Ravenna said:
This is indeed very pretty, but tell me one thing - are the sprites horribly blurred abominations when in short view distance? I tried out Doomsday, the game looks quite nice (not as good as on the screenshot, but I didn't look much into the graphical options), the music plays without the slightest skipping (unlike in dosbox) and the controls are completely customizable - but those blurry sprites made me nauseous

It's true. Doomsday engine has been notorious for piss-poor sprite filtering techniques. And it doesn't really feel like the original engine.

GZDoom/Hexen/Heretic engine does it better; I recommend that instead. But it requires a trick to enable cool lightning, by editing some line into a config file that I forget.

Doom Legacy engine did the sprite filtering best, but I believe it was abandoned.

DraQ

Arcane
shihonage said:
Calem Ravenna said:
This is indeed very pretty, but tell me one thing - are the sprites horribly blurred abominations when in short view distance? I tried out Doomsday, the game looks quite nice (not as good as on the screenshot, but I didn't look much into the graphical options), the music plays without the slightest skipping (unlike in dosbox) and the controls are completely customizable - but those blurry sprites made me nauseous

It's true. Doomsday engine has been notorious for piss-poor sprite filtering techniques. And it doesn't really feel like the original engine.

GZDoom/Hexen/Heretic engine does it better; I recommend that instead. But it requires a trick to enable cool lightning, by editing some line into a config file that I forget.

Doom Legacy engine did the sprite filtering best, but I believe it was abandoned.
GZdoom displays your character's hands cutting off good half way towards the edges of the screen in widescreen mode.

Can't help but notice that it kind of cripples the experience.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Calem Ravenna said:
are the sprites horribly blurred abominations when in short view distance?
You must have missed some settings, as the blurriness filter can be turned off in both Doomsday and ZDoom. I always have them off too.

But if you're happy with Chocolate, that's cool too.

DraQ

Arcane
BTW:
If GZDoom reaches Doomsday's standards of impressive lighting and non-clipping sprites (and fixes scaling issues for FPP sprites) I will be happy to switch. I've always liked ZDoom's decals and such.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
DraQ said:
BTW:
If GZDoom reaches Doomsday's standards of impressive lighting and non-clipping sprites (and fixes scaling issues for FPP sprites) I will be happy to switch. I've always liked ZDoom's decals and such.

Don't know about impressive, but there was a Strife LP thread around here and at some point the guy managed to turn on the new lighting, which made it definitely look better than vanilla.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
If GZDoom reaches Doomsday's standards of impressive lighting and non-clipping sprites (and fixes scaling issues for FPP sprites) I will be happy to switch.
As far as I'm concerned sprites are fixed, but it requires severe setting tweaking to get everything working right. Lighting is not impressive, which I prefer for Doom. I'd like one day for someone to make something in-between Deng and ZDoom's lighting - a "softer" bias lighting. ZDoom (well, GZDoom) has a setting of sort for this, but it doesn't look anywhere as impressive as Deng. And lack of colored lighting is certainly noticeable, even moreso in Heretic and Hexen. It'd be particularly welcome in Hexen, which abuses colorful stuff less than Heretic and where it looks absolutely awesome in Deng.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished Hexen again. Oh, I really like its ending, it so good for my megalomania. Hated H2 ending because Sphere was destroyed. :M
Also cleric variant of Icon of the Defender rocks, battle with Korax was a cheesecake.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The Wraithverge (which looks like a Christian cross) is also a bit odd for casting such necromantic powers (shouldn't that be evil? You'd expect better from a priest)
:lol:
Someone not read the manual.

ElectricOtter

Sceptic said:
Oh dear god, there is so much stupidity in that thread...
Doomworld is basically Codex lite, except with FPS instead of RPGs. They even have a equivalent to Retardo Land: POST HELL

banner.gif

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Instead of playing Hexen right away I ended up starting with Heretic to play it all in order.

The three episodes of the basic version were an awesome 'nostalgia trip' but damn, the game is so easy with proper controls. On the highest difficulty level I ran into minor difficulty a few times, and the only truly difficult encounter was D'Sparil (almost impossible even).

Now, after that launched the expansion (didn't play it back in the day). This is some difficult stuff. First level? I only have the basic staff and there are already a lot of Ophidians around and ammunition is sort of scarce. Had to start with a lower difficulty level :love:

I want to find out about decent ports for Hexen 2 (ideally the kind that supports mouselook and better controls in general) but I don't feel like reading through four pages to look for recomendations.

DraQ

Arcane
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
I want to find out about decent ports for Hexen 2 (ideally the kind that supports mouselook and better controls in general)
Controls are fully customizable in vanilla and mouselook may be enabled with +mlook command.

but I don't feel like reading through four pages to look for recomendations.
You can try Hammer of Thyrion.
It has three high points:

-it exists
-it works
-it fixes some fugly glitches of original GL-hexen

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Sceptic said:
And lack of colored lighting is certainly noticeable, even moreso in Heretic and Hexen. It'd be particularly welcome in Hexen, which abuses colorful stuff less than Heretic and where it looks absolutely awesome in Deng.

What do you mean by lack of colored lighting? It looked pretty colored to me - once enabled as per link.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
shihonage said:
What do you mean by lack of colored lighting? It looked pretty colored to me - once enabled as per link.
PURTY LIGHTS! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Had to turn off shaders as it looked reaaaaaaaaally fucked up otherwise (and the damn thing is on by default, took me a while to track it down)

Disappointed with the lighting in Heretic though :(. It looks really good in Doom, not bad in Hexen, but plain ugly in Heretic for some reason, especially compared to Deng's gorgeous lighting. I may have finally found my ideal setup though: GZDoom for Doom (better darkness and invisibility effect), Deng for Heretic (better lighting) and Hexen (*cough* widescreen *cough*)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom