Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Fallen Heroes is an Original Sin 2 tactics spinoff co-developed by Logic Artists

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
At first I was like: "Hmm sounds nice, but nothing to be THAT hyped about...

Gunpower comes to Divinity. Lock’n’load with an arsenal of guns and rifles.​

Now this is fucking incline!!! FUCKING EXCITED!!!! I HAVE A STROKE OF JOY RIGHT NOW! THEY DID IT, FINALLY SOMEONE HAD BALLS TO STEP OUT BEYOND SWORD AND MAGIC BULLSHIT!

On a calm note though: actually I am just cautious and vigilant (as always), but appearance of guns is a really good news, at least for me. And yes, I know that POE games have guns too, but more games with setting that advanced beyond "your average fantasy" = better.
P. S. I don't hate swords or magic, it's just too much games with "pure fantasy setting".

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You do realize it's possible to like something and still have some criticism about it, right?
Just because I think someone is a nice person I don't have to say their shit may taste good, too.
You better believe my shit tastes like legit chocolate mousse. You want some?

Anyway, you are right of course, but your criticism was "recycled assets".
I don't see how this is something negative, at least until it becomes a meme like in the Spiderweb games...

Anyway, I truly hope they are making encounters better than in Expeditions: Vikings. In that game, the initiative system (all your guys, then all their guys, or vice versa) made many encounters either way too easy or super frustrating.
If they want to do better, they need to start combat parties further apart.

The meat of the gameplay is about the encounters, so we're spending a lot of time on them.
I'd wager the same was true on Vikings, and yet it still ended up having half the encounters either feel like a breeze or a slap in your face, all because of the extreme importance of the first round.
Well, I don't want to sound too negative. All I'm saying is that I hope you learnt what went wrong there and don't repeat the mistake.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
divinity is the most boring fantasy universe in existence but at least the gameplay could be fun

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
The meat of the gameplay is about the encounters, so we're spending a lot of time on them.
I'd wager the same was true on Vikings, and yet it still ended up having half the encounters either feel like a breeze or a slap in your face, all because of the extreme importance of the first round.
Well, I don't want to sound too negative. All I'm saying is that I hope you learnt what went wrong there and don't repeat the mistake.

Compared to Viking, encounters are getting a lot more attention now. There's one encounter per map, and that makes a huge difference in terms of what you need to take into account.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Will the godawful armour system and itemisation be fixed for for this game? If so I'm in, otherwise hard pass.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
I'm rather happy with this announcement, and I'm especially pleased to see Logic Artists is involved in this. I liked both Expeditions games quite a bit! I dig like the idea of mixing in the Dragon Commander C&C.

divinity is the most boring fantasy universe in existence but at least the gameplay could be fun

Yeah, this has been my main beef with the series starting with the very first game. It has arguably gotten even more generic, especially the art-style. Gotta love those edgy WoW-style shoulder pads, right?

Mordru

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I might buy this if it has a strong rogue-like element. If its just a linear progression of battles with "choices"...meh...

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Didn't Larian open new studios? I think Canada and... Dublin?

Odd that they outsource this to another studio.
I mean, the 'studio' in Dublin is obviously just a mailbox to avoid paying taxes, as any company is doing these days.
But what's Canada working on? I was expecting eskimo DLC at first (would that be a race or a class?) but DOS:2 is complete, so that's not an option anymore.

Fairfax

Arcane
The initiative order has changed, so this time you get to take actions with all of your troops, and then the enemy take their turns.
Character round-robin to party round-robin is just a lateral move. The website mentioning "simultaneous turns" made me think this could be phase-based incline for a second.

himmy

Arcane
This makes me hopeful that their next big RPG will be in a non-Divinity setting.

It would make sense to (co-)make this spin-off given the traction the Divinity series has gotten in recent years, while keeping your main team (well, one of them) working on something different.

I don't hate the Divinity world (although I think it was at its best in the original DD), but I would love to see them do something fresh, even if it turns out as derivative as Rivellon. At least it would be differently derivative.

Sjukob

Arcane
How about a Logic Artists game?
Previously I was kind of interested in Expeditions: Viking, but I read some stuff about it that threw me off like: repetitiveness, bugs, shitty looting, lack of balance and some other annoying things. Obviously it's not enough for me to form my full opinion, but still there have to be some truth to that. Also the fact that you are now teaming up with Larian doesn't do you any favors in my eyes, it's the opposite actually.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How about a Logic Artists game?
Previously I was kind of interested in Expeditions: Viking, but I read some stuff about it that threw me off like: repetitiveness, bugs, shitty looting, lack of balance and some other annoying things. Obviously it's not enough for me to form my full opinion, but still there have to be some truth to that. Also the fact that you are now teaming up with Larian doesn't do you any favors in my eyes, it's the opposite actually.
Just play it man. Then get buggered about that stuff.

Sjukob

Arcane
Just play it man. Then get buggered about that stuff.
Well, I don't know. I'm already busy with Viking Conquest for Mount and Blade and I like a lot. If I ever go for Expeditions Viking I doubt it's going to be soon.

Calm

Novice
Neat.
I am cautiously optimistic about this combination of elements.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Expedition: Conquistador was neat and with the magic of Original Sin 2, they should be able to bring more varriety in the fights. And since the writing was solid and the Larian-guys showed that they can deliver a really good story, I'm quite optimistic with this one. But I don't think it will come out this year. 2020 is more likely, just because Swen may be not satisfied with the end product^^.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Still waiting for Divinity Dragon Commander 2: Dragon Knights Unite. Am I the only one who liked Dragon Commander and Divinity 2?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragon Commander

I thought it was a really good game, I hope they will return to it one day for a sequel. It didn't really sell well but it also really wasn't what it was supposed to be as they transfered their resources to DivOS. So maybe one day they'll try to make things right. Or, since they apparently are selling their IP to other devs now, maybe someone else might give it a shot.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
cheeky lightheartedness

At the same time the soundtrack and the brown color palette that always makes it seem as if it was autumn dusk time made the game seem quite melancholic at times. Its really the tonal dissonance that make this games atmosphere. I wonder if that was on accident or planned. If we ever do another Codex Larian interview I need to remember asking that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
It's one of my fave RPGs quite frankly. A nice mixture of cheeky lightheartedness and frivolity in writing and characters without being saccharin, alongside unorthodox mechanics and ideas.

:love:

Yeah, same reasons why I still love it. The story was good to, but cut down to budgetissues (and because Jan Van Dosselaer wasn't used to improvise. Very good writer, but it was his first game) and I would love to see another game like this. The dragon mechanics would fit perfect to an Open World RPG and give us a perfect excuse why we are fit, to fight even archdemons ('cause big effing dragon, that's why).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom