Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Impressions: https://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-original-sin-2/divinity-original-sin-2-review

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a great RPG... and the best strategy game since XCOM

Hi. My name’s Jeremy, and I can’t stop unsheathing my weapon in public.

Listen: I can explain.

By pressing the tab key in Divinity: Original Sin 2, you command your character to pull out their blade and brandish it menacingly, allowing it to rest in their palm for a few seconds. That’s what I’ve been doing, about once every 30 minutes, since starting the game.

The practical applications of this little animation flourish are limited. It can make screenshots look more dynamic, if you’re so inclined. Or it can be used to test the limits of Larian’s simulation. Certainly, every time I take out my sword - usually in an inappropriate place, like a crowded camp or at the foot of a shrine to a dead god - the AI around me tend to react in horror, shouting warnings and ultimatums. Understandably. Who does that?

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20story.png

Well, me. But it’s an accident, your honour - a crime of muscle memory, if anything. The tab key means something else in Tyranny and Torment: Tides of Numenera, you see. In those games, it’s the button you press to see which objects around you can be rifled for treasure. And Divinity is intrinsically linked to Tyranny and Torment in some part of my brain beyond conscious reasoning.

That’s because, while Divinity: Original Sin launched into a world where the isometric RPG was newly revived, its sequel now forms part of a growing genre. It’s hard to view it apart from that context; hard not to notice where the series has begun to fall behind its peers, and where it strides boldly ahead.

In the solo (and, optionally, co-op) campaign that will be most players’ first port of call, the strengths are much the same as they were the first time around. Larian have wisely leaned on the elemental combat that powered Divinity: Original Sin - the same system that turned every battle into a bubbling broth of status effects. Fire arrows still ignite poison gas, rain spells extinguish flames, and electrical jolts turn steam into lightning clouds. The path to victory usually lies in catalysing an explosive reaction or three, and then making sure your opponents don’t get a chance to recover. It can be tough, since even the lowliest guard can take a fireball to the face and keep slugging. But finally felling your enemies, through wit and persistence, feels fantastic.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20red%20prince.png

The genius lies in the way Larian’s meticulous simulation trickles out of the combat and into the game world at large. Where many turn-based RPGs tend to separate out roleplaying and conflict - church and state - in Divinity, one bleeds into the other. It’s not only that one character in your party can be having a chat while another flings fireballs in the next room. It’s that, when you wander past an open fire, the ‘warm’ effect is attributed to you for a few seconds. Or, if you cast the same teleportation spell that allows you to drop enemies into burning oil slicks, you might throw a companion over a ravine into an otherwise inaccessible area.

Combat is yours to start whenever and with whomever you see fit. And while traditionally that’s the sort of thing you did in RPGs only before a reload, Divinity can accommodate murder without consequence, so long as nobody’s within earshot or subsequently finds the body. Yep: NPCs have line-of-sight, which feeds into the game’s functional stealth system as well. Where triple-A RPGs tend to streamline towards the things you’re most likely to want to do - chat, kill, loot, repeat - Larian are committed to ensuring that all your sandbox whims are catered to.

One of Divinity: Original Sin 2’s most compelling new roleplaying options, however, comes straight from the triple-A space. RPGs there have found an awful lot of success in named protagonists - your Geralts and Shepards, defined to a degree but malleable enough to steer this way or that. And while Divinity: Original Sin 2 allows you to build a personality from the ground up, as you might have done in its predecessor, it now also lets you embody one of its companion characters instead.

This is, I’ve come to believe, the masterstroke of the campaign. I’ve been storming around the place as the Red Prince, a former lizard prince-general who’s been kicked out of his own empire for cavorting with demons. Basically Max Mosley with scales. Picking him immediately warps my dialogue options according to a number of factors, which the game flags up explicitly as ‘tags’ - the fact that I’m a huge, frightening lizard; my rarified attitudes as a noble; the particular yearnings of the Prince towards revenge and redemption. It’s rare that I’m not given the opportunity to be haughty or demanding in conversation - to lean into one side of the Prince’s personality or another, and find some personal investment within the framework I’ve chosen.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20campaign.png

All of this gently encourages actual roleplaying, and is supported by an unusually robust relationship between quests and simulation. In your Divinity 2 playthrough, for instance, a former slave to the lizard empire named Sebille might be your protagonist, or a valued companion. In mine, she’s face down in an electrified puddle of her own blood. The campaign is sometimes astonishing in its ability to course-correct, and I’ve never run into a bug or disappointment when cutting a quest - or a life - short. But that’s not to say I haven’t encountered difficulties.

You should know that Divinity: Original Sin 2 will happily abandon a lovingly-written quest if you happen to snip one of its threads. On one level that’s admirable, and one of the key tenets of its sandbox. On another, it’s a bit frightening. At an early juncture I became stuck, only discovering through reference to a walkthrough that I’d unknowingly blocked two of three ways to progress - and entirely missed the third. I walked that last remaining questline very carefully indeed, as if it were a tightrope above a game-breaking abyss.

In similar fashion, combat can make progress teeth-grindingly tough. Play as one companion character, kill off another, perhaps rebuff a third for roleplaying reasons - suddenly you’re looking at an underpowered party in a campaign that can quickly get gruelling. The punishment is leavened to an extent in Explorer Mode, which buffs your friends and weakens your enemies, but only so far. It’s frustrating when Larian’s peers have established a new frictionless standard in this area - Story Time in Obsidian’s games, and Story Mode in Icewind Dale’s Enhanced Edition - that makes the genre truly accessible to those without the patience for micromanagement. Divinity 2 could stand to be that friendly.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20combat.png

Outside the campaign, though, Larian take the lead rather than lag behind. Competitive multiplayer could so easily have been an afterthought, but it turns out to be the best bit of the game - easily good enough to release as a standalone effort, if the studio had so desired.

Refitting the mechanics of a single-player campaign for satisfying online fisticuffs has proven too tricky a task for many RPG developers. Even the mighty Blizzard struggled for years to make Diablo III work as a competitive prospect. But, seemingly effortlessly, Divinity becomes a turn-based battler to match XCOM, Chaos Reborn, or the venerable Blood Bowl. Parties face off across arenas strewn with debris that make the most of the game’s systems - acid barrels, braziers, and fresh corpses stuffed with game-winning source magic.

In this new context, stealth and line-of-sight become primary concerns; ladders become choke points, loot chests the scene of backstab ambushes. In their intimacy and verticality, the maps are reminiscent of some of the smaller-scale Warhammer skirmish games - more Mordheim even than Mordheim: City of the Damned. In my experience, matches have been reliably tight and eventful, and often the perfect showcase for Divinity’s table-turning spell effects.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20game%20master.png

It’s my fervent hope that the elegant design on show here isn’t buried beneath discussion of the campaign, as XCOM’s multiplayer has been. It’s rare for a classic RPG to attempt full-fledged competitive adaptation. To do such a good job of it is frankly unheard of.

Perhaps bravest of all is Divinity 2’s Game Master mode - a powerful tool kit and asymmetrical multiplayer game that, in our early sessions with it, appeared to capture much of what tends to get left on the tabletop when D&D is synthesised for the PC. Expect our detailed thoughts on its implementation as soon as we’ve had time to play with the possibilities.

Even with that quest-giver question mark hovering above its head, however, Divinity: Original Sin 2 stands as a remarkable example of at least two genres: the classic roleplaying game and the online arena battler. If its campaign fails to shake off some of Larian’s unfriendlier habits, those flaws are mitigated by the ways in which the studio have shaped a genre moulded by nostalgia into genuinely new forms - changing more than just the keyboard shortcuts for the better.

Check back on Tuesday for our full review of Divinity: Original Sin 2, with updated thoughts on its fancy new Game Master mode.

Fry

Arcane
The ignorant unwashed referring to TB RPGs as "strategy" games is a trend I've noticed lately.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Asymmetrical multiplayer"? HaAHhAAHahAHAHAHAH, oh god, I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's easy to crack something when it doesn't even have DRM lulz. At least the GOG version doesn't.

imweasel

Steam releases have Steam DRM which is cracked within seconds.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/3008824797188227623

It's here!
14 SEPTEMBER - MICHAEL_LARIAN

1daedf5583fb0d65d02038c21717e0f6522c5676.jpg

Almost exactly two years after we launched our most successful Kickstarter ever, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is now out!

We've poured our hearts and souls into this game, and we are so, so excited to see what the world makes of it.

It's been an incredible journey, but of course none of this would be possible without the support we've had along the way. Our unending thanks to each of the 42,713 Kickstarter backers who put their faith in us two years ago, and to every player that explored Fort Joy during last year's Early Access. Without your trust and without your feedback none of this would be possible.

But of course, the journey's not over. Indeed, for you it's just beginning...

ortucis

Prophet
Question: Is it required to finish the first game to play this one? Any story references from the first OS?

I am asking because despite enjoying the combat and spending 10+ hrs 2-3 times I've restarted Original Sin, the story is just beyond stupid. Especially the whole "end of the time" area shite that is mindbogglingly boring. I am actually playing OS for like the fourth time now, but haven't touched it for a week after spending 3-4 hrs in it again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Lacrymas

Arcane
Question: Is it required to finish the first game to play this one? Any story references from the first OS?

I am asking because despite enjoying the combat and spending 10+ hrs 2-3 times I've restarted Original Sin, the story is just beyond stupid. Especially the whole "end of the time" area shite that is mindbogglingly boring. I am actually playing OS for like the fourth time now, but haven't touched it for a week after spending 3-4 hrs in it again.

It literally takes place ~1000 years after D:OS1, so no, it's not required.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I loved how you have to fight some dragon that devours the universe yet it is the size of a medium room.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Woot, it's downloading. I expected GOG to be an hour or two late with that.
GOG actually handle releases extremely well, these days. The iffy thing have always been patching, but they've improved massively in the last years, unless the patch is unannounced and sudden, or really badly timed. And hotfixes are usually fucked up, because for some fucking reason, developers sometimes don't write out build numbers in the game and GOG insists on using their own fucking patching numbers/names for some asinine reason.
Did they fix the crafting/inventory?
There was nothing to fix, so I hope not.

Could've used a better crafting interface, but that's about it.

Lacrymas

Arcane

It was freakishly overpowered, to the point of making found loot pointless, so there was something to fix. I don't think they fixed that, I don't think they fixed anything tbh.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It is already cracked. Torrenting :outrage:
Where'd you find that? Is it the Steam version (and thus cracked for no fucking reason) or GOG?

Asking for a friend.

Swen, forgive me. Truly. :negative:

It was freakishly overpowered, to the point of making found loot pointless, so there was something to fix. I don't think they fixed that, I don't think they fixed anything tbh.
Outside of a few select items (which, granted, was freakishly powerful, but admittedly, it's hard to balance because otherwise people will say "What's the point of crafting?") I never really thought much about it, especially since most stuff was upgrades, which, frankly, is probably the best way to handle it.

Edit: Give me all the decline you can. I truly deserve it. I'm sorry. :negative:

Prime Junta

The loot in general sucked Dragon Age Inquisition grade ass. Procedurally generated level-locked Ancient Platinum Slippery Goblin Dildo of Penetration a go go. Crafting was just the half-digested corn on the turd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom