Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #20: Skill Tiers Vote, Kickstarter Retrospective

Zeriel

Arcane
What's Your Favourite Game In This List?

1. Dragon Age: Origins: 859 votes
2. Baldur's Gate 2: 714 votes
3. Skyrim: 662 votes
4. None Of The Above: 596 votes
5. Fallout 2: 486 votes
6. Diablo 2: 387 votes
7. Ultima VII: 100 votes
Pretty ironic Ultima 7 ranks the lowest, considering it obviously served as the biggest inspiration for D:OS.

What is most important in an RPG?

1. Story: 1704 votes
2. Character Development: 1083 votes
3. Exploration: 493 votes
4. Combat: 421 votes
5. None Of The Above: 73 votes
Considering how overwhelmingly strong the storyfag vote is compared to the votes for exploration and combat, a lot of the voters may have interpreted 'character development' as being about the narrative development of the personality of the characters rather than being about the character system and customization.

Divinity's fanbase is clearly much younger than the Codex in terms of taste. Part of me is alarmed, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, D:OS was a relatively mainstream success compared to other isometric RPGs of the Kickstarter era and Divinity II was a straight up console RPG. Divinity 1 seems like just yesterday to me but it was actually one and a half decades ago at this point.

Nasarius

Barely Literate
(Only correct answer is 'None of the above')
I don't understand why that's even a choice offered. It makes no sense; the question was "in this list". They're asking which is your favorite of those particular games. When I voted very early on for Ultima VII, it was in the lead with something like 20 votes, which gave me hope. Oh well.

The only thing which surprises me is that Skyrim ranks so high. Have these people even played Original Sin?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
People should get their stories from books, games from games, and choice and consequence from life.

Speaking generally, of course. Stories and C&C that are part of a tasteful design philosophy are great, but you shouldn't consistently rely on video games to satisfy such impulses.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
(Only correct answer is 'None of the above')
I don't understand why that's even a choice offered. It makes no sense; the question was "in this list". They're asking which is your favorite of those particular games. When I voted very early on for Ultima VII, it was in the lead with something like 20 votes, which gave me hope. Oh well.

The only thing which surprises me is that Skyrim ranks so high. Have these people even played Original Sin?

Skyrim is going to place on every relevant statistical inquiry concerning RPGs from now until the end of time. It's the new Ultima 7 in RPG culture.

SniperHF

Arcane
Really have to chuckle at the results on this one for a game almost universally praised for the thing at the bottom of the poll.

What's most important:
1. Story: 2139 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

2. Character Development: 1379 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

3. Exploration: 588 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

4. Combat: 536 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

(Your vote)
5. None Of The Above: 91 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

Are the hardcore storyfag section of backers just more active in polls and update reading? Or is it a reactionary situation of backers saying emphasize story since D:OS's was so weak?

Anyway I did my duty Voting Fallout 2 and Turn based.

It also seems weird that Larian did not include their interactivity and systemic gameplay in the poll. But maybe they just assume that's baked in the cake and want to see what their second focus should be. Given that the combat is already solid and the systemic stuff is there, greater exploration (bigger maps, more secrets, more unique interactive items) would benefit the game the most.

This is the end of an era. What will Linux users complain about now?

Good point :) however "we" are still a bit skeptical

SO this is where all 3 of you guys hang out.
Impressive how you run that bot to fill up 4 whole comment pages :smug:

I may or may not have done an equal amount of bitching over a certain DVD situation, but that doesn't make your situation any less funny :lol:

Zeriel

Arcane
Really have to chuckle at the results on this one for a game almost universally praised for the thing at the bottom of the poll.

What's most important:
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

(Your vote)
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

Are the hardcore storyfag section of backers just more active in polls and update reading? Or is it a reactionary situation of backers saying emphasize story since D:OS's was so weak?

It also seems weird that Larian did not include their interactivity and systemic gameplay in the poll. But maybe they just assume that's baked in the cake and want to see what their second focus should be. Given that the combat is already solid and the systemic stuff is there, greater exploration (bigger maps, more secrets, more unique interactive items) would benefit the game the most.

This is the end of an era. What will Linux users complain about now?

Good point :) however "we" are still a bit skeptical

SO this is where all 3 of you guys hang out.
Impressive how you run that bot to fill up 4 whole comment pages :smug:

I may or may not have done an equal amount of bitching over a certain DVD situation, but that doesn't make your situation any less funny :lol:

Holy shit, that thread is horrifying. If I was Swen, I'd just never attempt a Linux port ever again.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

What's most important:
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

(Your vote)
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

Are the hardcore storyfag section of backers just more active in polls and update reading? Or is it a reactionary situation of backers saying emphasize story since D:OS's was so weak

That was my logic for voting Story, not sure if the biodrone popamolers that populate the polls have any logic.

You are doing God's work.

Xenich

Cipher

Not a surprise, most people don't realize there are things called books if story is what is so important. Though, considering the numerous complaints and demands for fully voiced, maybe that explains their aversion to reading. /shrug

Darkzone

Arcane

Not a surprise, most people don't realize there are things called books if story is what is so important. Though, considering the numerous complaints and demands for fully voiced, maybe that explains their aversion to reading. /shrug

It is more complex then this and normally i would call it very difficult to make such parameters without cross influences. In a good game 2 from 4 points work intertwined together, in a masterpiece 3 from 4. So as an example Fallout 1 has a good story (that you make), where the exploration of the unknown environment is the key for the progression with a nice character development (here i talk only about the metrics of the player character and its expression). DOS as an example is strong in the combat and the character development (from my standpoint), but it lacks in the story and exploration. Overall people love a nice story, but if it lacks in other departments, then the RPG cannot stand on its feet.

Xenich

Cipher

It is more complex then this and normally i would call it very difficult to make such parameters without cross influences. In a good game 2 from 4 points work intertwined together, in a masterpiece 3 from 4. So as an example Fallout 1 has a good story (that you make), where the exploration of the unknown environment is the key for the progression with a nice character development (here i talk only about the metrics of the player character and its expression). DOS as an example is strong in the combat and the character development (from my standpoint), but it lacks in the story and exploration. Overall people love a nice story, but if it lacks in other departments, then the RPG cannot stand on its feet.

Depends on if you are making a game or a story. If it is all story, no game... better off reading a book. If it is all game, no story, well... if you were looking for a game, you got one.

Point is, story seekers that disregard game play are just idiots looking to be entertained and to be honest, imo are EVERYTHING wrong with gaming today. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying story is a bad thing, but those who would dismiss game play to chase story? They aren't gamers, they are idiots looking to be "entertained" and honestly, such people should stick to books... that is... if they can keep themselves attentive enough to read them. Maybe I am a purist, but when I want a good solid story to absorb myself into, I don't need some visual idiocy to ruin my perfect imagination to which brings that story to life in my head. A book is better suited to those seeking "story" perfection.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I helped with the Codex fundraiser for this but never received any sort of confirmation, where can I check out the contributors?

People should get their stories from books, games from games, and choice and consequence from life.
You should get your combat from real life by getting punched in the face for your shitty opinions.

If you get your stories from games every year is a disappointment as the chances of another Planescape or MoTB slip further and further away as development teams pursue different priorities and the content creators responsible for the old works of genius drift further and further apart and/or pursue different interests. On the other hand, if you get your games from games then you can probably cobble together some kind of hobby.

If you get your stories from books then entire universes of wonder are at your fingertips.

I agree with that, the c&c bit is rubbish though, c&c is the crux of RPGs, whether narrative or in character building.(Combat oriented or other)
In an interactive media it should be the core of the narrative experience, what's the point of being in an interactive world just to be led through linear set pieces that you can't actually affect.(Bethesda games for example, if I wanted to watch a shitty michael bay film I would just pirate transformers.)

On the other hand, if you get your games from games then you can probably cobble together some kind of hobby.
This is true, and c&c is as much a part of the game experience as combat.

I agree with that, the c&c bit is rubbish though, c&c is the crux of RPGs, whether narrative or in character building.(Combat oriented or other)
In an interactive media it should be the core of the narrative experience, what's the point of being in an interactive world just to be led through linear set pieces that you can't actually affect.(Bethesda games for example, if I wanted to watch a shitty michael bay film I would just pirate transformers.)

On the other hand, if you get your games from games then you can probably cobble together some kind of hobby.
This is true, and c&c is as much a part of the game experience as combat.

Well I agree that C&C is fine, when it makes sense, but the Internet spanning urgency for it isn't. Aside from the fact it seems as though entire populations of gamers have adjustment problems where they seem more interested in exercising agency/realizing potential through video games than in their own life, it ruins the art of C&C itself because developers feel pressured to create C&C that satisfies everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom