Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #29: Early Access Released to Kickstarter Backers

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
someone needs to make Larian dev gifs and memes seeing as how Larian is officially the Codex's new Obsidian. we need memes/gifs of Swen slam-dunking and bobble head pictures of Larian devs and shit like that.

STAT

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
someone needs to make Larian dev gifs and memes seeing as how Larian is officially the Codex's new Obsidian. we need memes/gifs of Swen slam-dunking and bobble head pictures of Larian devs and shit like that.

XZ1sRSW.gif

Here, let Swen "brofist" you.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well i was joking. larian's most interesting games were their first two divinity games which aren't really RPGs, the original sin games are competent (have not played this new one) but i wouldn't exactly call OS 1 "essential playing".

Obsidian is still the codex's obsidian for a while yet as they're the only ones making the type of fake C&C story-state A/B/C sort of isometric-perspective RPG with mediocre writing and pretty art that the codex Hivemind loves. Tyranny will make or break their rep with the Hivemind, although the smarter posters already gave up on them just from creative black hole that was PoE.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
well i was joking. larian's most interesting games were their first two divinity games which aren't really RPGs, the original sin games are competent (have not played this new one) but i wouldn't exactly call OS 1 "essential playing".

Oh good. Could you FINALLY explain to all of us here what an actual RPG is? We have been waiting for over 10 years.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jaesun

what an RPG is changes along with the players of RPG because unlike other gaming genres the RPG is not a genre and it is more of a "template", a collation of systems whose relationship produces an unique experience that is not possible in any other gaming sub-genre.

personally when i was in my teens i thought an RPG was a game with a story and characters, then in my twenties i thought an RPG was a game with a story and characters and interactive "questing" (i.e. what the codex deems to be C&C), and now i consider an RPG to be any turn-based game whose gameplay is driven by strong numerical design and that features good encounter design, itemization and mechanical systems.

story and characters and quests no longer make the cut for me, but they still do for a large portion of RPG gamers and it's all fine: that's the entire point of our love for the RPG experience. it is simply not something simple enough to be defined as a genre.

since the RPG's themselves are made by the people who play them and are thus shaped by them it is a symbiotic relationship and it is much more dynamic than the same type of relationship between gamer and developer in other sub-genres such as racing, fighting, etc; precisely because the RPG is not tied down to any one specific overall presentation and is a template of design ideas born from table-top gaming in the 70's that is continually tried to be adapted to the video game medium in ever evolving ways.

EDIT: so to answer your indirect question Larian's first Divinity games are not RPGs to me because they are Diablo-clones in their combat model, but they are RPGs to others because of the much richer narrative, characters and the amount of depth in its systems. if i were asked to classify them objectively then yes, i would call them RPGs, but here among fellow RPG lovers there is less need to be objective.

to an outsider i would call them RPGs because they do not have any pre-conceived expectations firmly established over decades of playing RPGs; to someone who says he or she loves RPGs and asks me about them i would be explicit.

Last edited:

Tao

Savant
I played a few hours. I liked it more than D:OS already. The coop main characters thing in the first one didnt feel right imo, but the skills, perks and stats still lack appealing for a d&d grognard like me, especially that mmo hotbar. This classless thing is just no my thing either: put a point in geomancy and you can do theme relate spellls/skills? I would prefer to learn by schools and they be relate to classes. I would prefer even a more in history/in game relate system, searching a master in necromancy and asking him to initiate you if you meet some requirement. The memory stats is fine but instead of improving the system is just another stat to be concernd about, and the points are few... so it feels unnecesary.

They still didnt fix the camera when a scripted event is happening so you will miss a lot of what is happening if you dont pay attetion. And the interconversations didnt seems to appear in the log event window or journal, so i missed what that Magister leg memory show to my flesh eating elf.

But as i said, i believe i see myself ending the game this time. Oh, and the tag idea is great.

Last edited:

Tao

Savant
The dialogue options are show like an inner voice: *Ask him if he is sad about the situation* o *Roll your eyes and tell him to fuck off*, with the asterisk included. So far the write has being normal, nothing too corky or silly.

I will stop playing more. I dont want to spoiler me more. Maybe i can go i try to end the first game...

Black

Arcane
*Ask him if he is sad about the situation* o *Roll your eyes and tell him to fuck off*
Is this how it's supposed to be in the final release or is it just placeholder for now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom