Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity: Original Sin Ditches "Ultra-hardcore" Role-playing System, Goes for Accessibility

Dexter

Arcane
The fuck are you :codexisfor: complaining about now? The word turn-based not good enough for you anymore, huh?
This looks like all kinds of awesome.

gromit

Arcane
:codexisfor: being put to excellent use, and not literal for a change.
Swen Vincke said:
Yeah, I noticed that on the codex - I regret it already. But Facebook game, seriously ;) My definition of accessible is a bit different as in, "I understand intuitively what's going on".
The man beat me to his own point. Naturalistic (if fictional) systems can be ridiculously complex, lend themselves to both planning and improv, and manage to not needlessly drive away half the audience, by exposing them to a bunch of math they don't need to do. I wonder how deterministic the system is... haven't watched the video yet.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not like Ultima had anything but basic combat systems. So long as the world and characters are interesting, I don't see this as a problem at all, this isn't supposed to be Knights of the Chalice.
Oh, so when Dark Souls has great combat and an amazing world and characters my more dim-witted fellow Codexers will call it shit popamole but when Divinity does that it's peachy RPG goodness! BAH!

(Not directed at you.)

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Swen Vincke said:
Yeah, I noticed that on the codex - I regret it already. But Facebook game, seriously ;) My definition of accessible is a bit different as in, "I understand intuitively what's going on".
The man beat me to his own point. Naturalistic (if fictional) systems can be ridiculously complex, lend themselves to both planning and improv, and manage to not needlessly drive away half the audience, by exposing them to a bunch of math they don't need to do. I wonder how deterministic the system is... haven't watched the video yet.
Granted, but you also know that words like 'accessible' conjure up unpleasant images in a Codexer's mind, and for good reasons. Let's hope that it's just a case of miscommunication and not genuine decline.

gromit

Arcane
Swen Vincke said:
Granted, but you also know that words like 'accessible' conjure up unpleasant images in a Codexer's mind, and for good reasons. Let's hope that it's just a case of miscommunication and not genuine decline.
True that... but I blame Codex and the larger press for perpetuating the decline of precise language, not this guy. If this (and his game) were all fluff we'd probably hear "streamlined" - it indicates consistent, slick simplicity, whereas "accessible" ironically subtly implies something which could be a hinderance (trapped writing for a month, send help)

Repressed Homosexual
It's not like Ultima had anything but basic combat systems. So long as the world and characters are interesting, I don't see this as a problem at all, this isn't supposed to be Knights of the Chalice.
Oh, so when Dark Souls has great combat and an amazing world and characters my more dim-witted fellow Codexers will call it shit popamole but when Divinity does that it's peachy RPG goodness! BAH!

(Not directed at you.)

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have little to no story, dialogue or memorable characters, although I am a big fan of these games and like how understated these elements all are.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah, but I'd argue that the lack of story and dialogue makes what little there is all the more poignant and meaningful.
It's quite simple to make a bizarre or odd character when you have many lines at your disposal - far more difficult to accomplish the same with five to six lines, a voice filter and some art choices.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Similar titles: Fallout 2, Dragon Age, Baldur’s Gate, Ultima VII, Divine Divinity

Thanks for the spell cooldowns, Larian. Still, I hope they show Jeff Vogel how it's done since this is looking close to a higher-budget Avernum.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ah, but I'd argue that the lack of story and dialogue makes what little there is all the more poignant and meaningful.
It's quite simple to make a bizarre or odd character when you have many lines at your disposal - far more difficult to accomplish the same with five to six lines, a voice filter and some art choices.
Precisely. Characters like the Onion Knight and Lord Gywm are memmorable; The Onion Knight is incredibly funny and heartwarming in such a desolate atmosphere, and Gymn does't need to say a word to be one of the most badass & moving characters I've seen in years.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Similar titles: Fallout 2, Dragon Age, Baldur’s Gate, Ultima VII, Divine Divinity

Thanks for the spell cooldowns, Larian. Still, I hope they show Jeff Vogel how it's done since this is looking close to a higher-budget Avernum.
Do you know what advertising means, Roguey, or is its whole concept alien to you?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
but still offers plenty of opportunity for tactical depth.

This is still good to hear. I just hope it will continue the Larian tradition of selecting your own Skills that you want to define for our own character. The co-op stuff sounds gay though.

Besides, judging by the video, accessible in this case seems to mean easy to get into/intuitive, not necessarily shallow - from the little that has been shown I´ve noticed that enemies have weaknesses (and likely resistances), spells can interact with each other, weapon properties can be changed temporarily via items, there´s a sword with a display of attack type, accuracy, speed, initiative, durability and degrade quality properties, enemies have chance to hit/be hit (likely modified by distance).

I also noticed what seems to be a very polished and intuitive GUI. That's the good kind of accessibility.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, Bee, looks like being on the Codex too engaged emotionally has you slowly transforming into a troll, congrats you actually managed to troll Sven himself - did you guys really think that the mention of less hardcore and more accessible would automatically mean Diablo3 style difficulty ? I mean, really ? Coming from Larian ? More likely is, that Sven saying "ultra hardcore" means something more along the lines of Age of Decadence difficulty and seeing all the reactions on the AoD beta, it is good that such "difficulty" is dropped. FFS Codex. never change

Malpercio

Arcane
Saw a video, looks nice. Hopefully the setting will be interesting and the writing won't bore me to death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom