Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DLC Will Bridge Story Between Mass Effect 2 and 3

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I'll give you an example of how ME 2 has better writing.

There is one planet where its sun's ultra lights burns through your shield. I took Mordin and Grunt and Mordin is babbling about Suns-lights-damage-shield-negative-disadvantage blah blah.

Then Grunt replies
We will fight in the shade.

That 300 reference fit better than all of those played out damn Monty Python references.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
ME2's writing is okay except for the villains. The motivation of we want to destroy all humans to melt them into goo to make a terminator robot fucking sucked. Of course I can't expect anything remotely realistic coming from Bioware's track record (at least they have the excuse of being alien, even though they talk and behave completely like humans otherwise). Also, "Reapers" is a really generic name for the bad guys, it couldn't have taken those lazy fucks more than a second to think that one up.

The plot is shit too, typical no-story bioware quests with one stupid personal story for each npc. So what I mean is, the dialog is okay but the backstory is totally shit. It's not particularly clever or even natural feeling but I found a few characters I liked and there were some moments that were funny because of being bad in a good way. I'd say it's about 50/50 good/bad which is better than Fo3's 0/100.

TNO

Augur
It is. It's a human sized space ship made by pumping in human slurpee.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Sceptic

"You must be thinking of something else because Liara's mission does not involve running around hills. You drive around the hills then run inside the mines."

He's actually right. You get dropped from the normandy, drive for a while, then do a kind of gatehouse, then drive for another while, then get to kind of a canyon's mouth that's blocked by rocks and you can only get in on foot. Then music changes and you must fight through two, like, super small valley thingies dotted with rock formations left there by The Lord so you and the Geth have someplace to take cover for the firefights. In the second valley the thing is even worse since the Geth brought snipers but there are two small, kind of waist height, rock formations across the opening of the pass linking both areas, so you have what basicaly amounts to a barricade The Lord left for you so you stand a chance against the snipers . Once you do this part you go up a hill, along the way passing some totally obvious metal walls left there in the middle of nowhere just for cover. So you prepare for something, the Geth drop an Armature and some enemies on you, you run back to the conveniently placed cover you just left behind and go pew pew on the evil robots. Then you enter the mine thing.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
TNO said:
It is. It's a human sized space ship made by pumping in human slurpee.
The worst thing is they excused it by a high biodiversity of that species. The trouble is that species has extremely low biodiversity. The only species that has lower biodiversity is certain type of wolves who everyone is wondering how can they they still be alive because any illness would have perfect match for them, and every bad recessive gen would be active.

From point of view of an person with a brain, cows would be better.

TNO

Augur
It's just a shameless transposition of a 'suck out the soul' fantasy trope into a space setting. Under any modern science it makes no sense.

What's also weird is that all the other Reapers look like squid. Were all the previous alien races squid?

Project: Eternity
The Reapers are all similar but not quite the same:
20100127212604!Reaper_fleet.png

One theory that I've read says that the Terminator skeleton is just the core of the ship, and the shell is built around it eventually. That would at least make more sense than a giant bipedal humanoid floating through space like Superman.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I.C. Wiener said:
ME2's writing is okay except for the villains. The motivation of we want to destroy all humans to melt them into goo to make a terminator robot fucking sucked. Of course I can't expect anything remotely realistic coming from Bioware's track record (at least they have the excuse of being alien, even though they talk and behave completely like humans otherwise). Also, "Reapers" is a really generic name for the bad guys, it couldn't have taken those lazy fucks more than a second to think that one up.

The plot is shit too, typical no-story bioware quests with one stupid personal story for each npc. So what I mean is, the dialog is okay but the backstory is totally shit. It's not particularly clever or even natural feeling but I found a few characters I liked and there were some moments that were funny because of being bad in a good way. I'd say it's about 50/50 good/bad which is better than Fo3's 0/100.

You have to give them a little bump for the level of difficulty. Granted they brought it on themselves. The plot and the lore.?.. They were high. Not just on weed but other shit too meth, coke whatever.

But Drew Karpyshyn looks like Rush Limbaugh; conservative white guy almighty. Shouldn't he have outgrown the shit by now? Then I find out he is Canadian and that explains it all. He comes up with shit high then when he is sober and has to write it he tries to bust out of dankmind and use intellect. You can tell how flapped jacked his mind is by the Quarians. This has to be the damnest people in the history of the universe. You mean to tell me they created a race of robots that brought the Holocaust on them, then chased them off their own planet and proceeded to chase them around the Milky Way? Had them so spooked they were afraid to land. Spent so many generations in space they lost their immune system to natural air? Yeah come off your high and explain that us.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
All the scientific stuff is stupid like that. Either they don't go into detail about things work, or they go to great pains to explain stuff, except none of it makes sense. The Quarians somehow lost their immune systems, even though there's nothing happening in space that natural selection dictates should kill off that part of their genome. The stupid shit with the Reapers. Hanars. Asaris. Aliens speaking english. The entire gimmick the universe is based on is grade A pseudoscience bullshit (though, I can suspend disbelief for just one magic-technology per science fiction setting). Drew K could probably pull something out of his ass but it would only make things worse.

They would really be better off not trying to explain stuff at all. Unexplained is better than nonsense. It's like trying to patch a leaking balloon with a cactus.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I still hate that they had to include magic in a sci-fi setting. They had KotOR already, would it really have hurt their sales if they had ditched Biotics and Element X (or whatthefuckever it is).

Achilles

Arcane
I have to agree with Skyway on this. Mass Effect 2 was almost exactly like the original, except in some cases where it was actually worse (RPG stuff, main story). Combat was more "shootery" but that's not really a good thing.

Still a very good game though and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a fun shooter with RPG elements, just not a very good RPG.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
GarfunkeL said:
I still hate that they had to include magic in a sci-fi setting. They had KotOR already, would it really have hurt their sales if they had ditched Biotics and Element X (or whatthefuckever it is).

Yes, Bioware has this nasty habit of draging stuff from their previous games even when it makes no sense. Another example is making pc be part of special organisation in DA, since it worked so well in ME, even if it makes no sense in fantasy setting.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
Yeah it's another reason why I hate this shitty cover system so much. When you are not behind the magical boxes enemies never have a problem hitting you, but the moment you press the retard button something immediately happens to their precision.
Oh on this I am in complete agreement with you, and it's the main reason why I think ME2's combat is shittier than ME1's. ME2 made the cover system mandatory: using it is the ONLY way to play the game, because stay out of the magical box and you die within a couple of seconds. At least in ME1 you had a chance of surviving out of cover. Also, not all enemies used the cover system all the time: the Krogans usually charged you, and the drones never used it at all.

Black Cat said:
He's actually right [snip]
Thanks for the detailed description, I had completely forgotten that part. I can see you two's point now.

I.C. Wiener said:
ME2's writing is okay except for the villains. The motivation of we want to destroy all humans to melt them into goo to make a terminator robot fucking sucked.
Yeah this. Introducing the Collectors in the first place made no sense, but then Bioware went on gleefully retconning so many things from ME1 to make their story fit it wasn't even funny. Not to mention they made the Reapers not only look stupid in ME2, but the retcons also make Sovereign look like a complete moron in ME1. This is not the kind of thing you want to do in the middle part of a trilogy.

TNO

Augur
No. Kewl people with leet stuff set up to protect the status quo using any means necessary (and moral ambiguity) and don't have to answer to anyone is bullshit in any setting. It's just lazy storytelling to give an excuse to let the player do all his dominance fantasies.

And the force powers are needed to spice up combat. I always got the impression the tech stuff was just an afterthought, and it was always meant to be guns and force powers.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Krogans usually charged you, and the drones never used it at all.

They do the same thing in ME2. However, level design suffered a decline - most of locations are simply corridors with zero room for maneuver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom