Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DLC Will Bridge Story Between Mass Effect 2 and 3

Phelot

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
English speaking aliens are as much as a problem as demons speaking "common"

i.e, no one cares, but anyway they made something up to explain

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Translator

Why wouldn't demons speak English or "common" if they are the souls of the dead or directly related to the people they torment, what are they gonna have their own language? Why, they aren't aliens. What would be the point of the Devil if he vomited some shit language out at Jesus when trying to tempt him?

Devil "GLAGGLAGLGKGJlfdjgld"

Jesus "LOL IDK K BYE"

Aliens have no contact with humans and unless it's explained why the fuck they speak English or for that matter why the sinister master race of the universe SPEAKS ENGLISH then fuck that.

The game obviously has no story and it's point is apparently to LARP fantasies of having a KEWL ship and to have sex with humans spray . so it'd be nice if folks didn't act like it's deep.

Sorry bro

but they made something up to explain it, anyway

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Translator

No, thats nigger. I bet some fanboy was all confused and asked Bioware about it. I bet tehre was some 200 page long thread debating why they all speak English when the fucking answer was simply "WE DONT KNOW HOW TO CREATE NEW SHIT LOL"

phelot said:
what are they gonna have their own language?

http://dnd.wikia.com/wiki/Speak_Language

Common Languages and Their Alphabets
Language Typical Speakers Alphabet
Abyssal Demons, chaotic evil outsiders Infernal
Celestial Good outsiders Celestial
Common Humans, halflings, half-elves, half-orcs Common
Infernal Devils, lawful evil outsiders Infernal

:)

Why, they aren't aliens.

In the D&D setting, other planes are basically other planets

Aliens have no contact with humans and unless it's explained why the fuck they speak English or for that matter why the sinister master race of the universe SPEAKS ENGLISH then fuck that.

The above link explains the known races use translators. Dunno about the reapers. Maybe Sovereign learned other languages by observing, I dunno lol

The game obviously has no story and it's point is apparently to LARP fantasies of having a KEWL ship and to have sex with humans spray . so it'd be nice if folks didn't act like it's deep.

Did I say it's "deep"?

No, thats nigger. I bet some fanboy was all confused and asked Bioware about it. I bet tehre was some 200 page long thread debating why they all speak English when the fucking answer was simply "WE DONT KNOW HOW TO CREATE NEW SHIT LOL"

You asked why the aliens speak english, this is the explanation. Sorry if you don't feel it's good enough

Phelot

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
phelot said:
what are they gonna have their own language?

http://dnd.wikia.com/wiki/Speak_Language

Common Languages and Their Alphabets
Language Typical Speakers Alphabet
Abyssal Demons, chaotic evil outsiders Infernal
Celestial Good outsiders Celestial
Common Humans, halflings, half-elves, half-orcs Common
Infernal Devils, lawful evil outsiders Infernal

:)

Why, they aren't aliens.

In the D&D setting, other planes are basically other planets

Well, that's DnD and most of the demons and devils speak their respective language only, no? A succubus would also speak common since it is directly tied to critters that speak common.

Besides, the DnD universe as a whole is fucking stupid. In FR, why is half the fucking planet just shitty white people feudal kingdoms and the rest a few stereotypical sand niggers and Chinamen.

My point was that Judeo-Christian devils and demons will typically speak the language of God which happens to be whatever the fuck they were speaking back when Moses was fucking shit up in Egypt or where ever. Their entire point is to torment humans and to do so they would have to speak their language.

Did I say it's "deep"?

Not attacking you bro, you know you can come to my barbecue any time.

You asked why the aliens speak english, this is the explanation. Sorry if you don't feel it's good enough

I'm tired of games that are just good for what they are. I want a deep story for a change not games that are hyped about having a deep story and then have the equivalence of a Disney movie.

Seeing that wiki, it's like they made a 500 page encyclopedia about the dynamic relationship between Mickey and Pluto.

phelot said:
I'm tired of games that are just good for what they are. I want a deep story for a change not games that are hyped about having a deep story and then have the equivalence of a Disney movie.

I agree. ME, for example, has a very simple story. It's just that the codex, perhaps for not getting into the game having already decided not to pay attention (or simply not playing a game and going by what someone else said), points flaws that aren't there, like "no explanation for X", when in fact there is one (whether it's a good one is another matter)

He cannot ignore my disapproving stare

naris.gif

Black

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Black said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Presumably you prefer entertainment of a more cereberal nature?
Yes, crappy stories written by 8 year olds for retards no longer cut it.

Good luck with all that, you let me know how things turn out for you.
Pretty good actually, just avoid anything that pretends to have DEEP story, narrative storytelling and cliche characters.
So, avoid bethesda and bioware.

Phelot

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
phelot said:

I agree. ME, for example, has a very simple story. It's just that the codex, perhaps for not getting into the game having already decided not to pay attention (or simply not playing a game and going by what someone else said), points flaws that aren't there, like "no explanation for X", when in fact there is one (whether it's a good one is another matter)

I played enough of ME to realize that it is terrible due to (in my most humblest of opinions of course)

Boring writing. Boring and yet trying too hard dialogue in general with false options.
Lackluster combat that wasn't challenging.
A setting that is not original.
Gameplay that seemed to consist more of pursuing the collection of journal entries and supposedly awesome conversations. Sorry Codex, I never found Shepard to be funny in his extreme form.

I admit I never played the second one and forgive me if I scoff at the claims that it "really is better then the first, honest!"

When did they explain that there are alien translators or whatever? In the second game? In a statement by the company? Regardless, when the explanation is so ridiculous you can essentially claim it as not an explanation at all.

Phelot, stop this faggotry, I COMMAND YOU!

NO NOT UNTIL THERE IS BLOOD

Phelot

Arcane
sandro.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
naris.gif

IM FIRING A GOD DAMN LASER AT YOUR HEAD

Looks like there is someone with a stronger disapproval stare

Male16.jpg

phelot said:
I admit I never played the second one and forgive me if I scoff at the claims that it "really is better then the first, honest!"

Well, it is.

When did they explain that there are alien translators or whatever? In the second game? In a statement by the company? Regardless, when the explanation is so ridiculous you can essentially claim it as not an explanation at all.

OPEN THE FUKKEN LINK I GAVE YOU, FFS

It's in the in-game Codex :)smug:). Which means it wasn't made up by a mod or whatever...well, apparently it's in the "Bring down the sky" expansion, so maybe you could be right. I recall an explanation along these lines in the vanilla game's codex, though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
phelot said:

Well, it is.

No it's exactly the same shit. Same shitty combat, same shitty linear location design with stupid in-your-face cover, same cutscene-selection "wheel"-minigame, same shitty 12 years old writing, same bland characters. And even less so called "RPG elements". Oh but it has 2 in its title and best-game-evar-since-ME2 AP still didn't come out so we can't yet call it shit like DA!

Phelot

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
phelot said:

Well, it is.

If you say so.

OPEN THE FUKKEN LINK I GAVE YOU, FFS

It's in the in-game Codex :)smug:). Which means it wasn't made up by a mod or whatever...well, apparently it's in the "Bring down the sky" expansion, so maybe you could be right. I recall an explanation along these lines in the vanilla game's codex, though.

Yes, I opened the link and even read the whole thing. It doesn't mention were it's from. Also, I wonder if the translator is what gives all the aliens "foreign" accents so they sound Russian or Jamaican or whatever.

But whatever, I know I'm nitpicking, but it's hard not to when a game is hyped to fucking hell and back and when I keep hearing that the story is so awesome, again not really by people here, but just about everywhere else.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
No it's exactly the same shit.
Skyway, skyway. You'll never change.

Same shitty combat
No, combat is much more reliant on cover now and much more like GOW.

same shitty linear location design with stupid in-your-face cover
No, the design is just as linear but the cover is much, MUCH more in your face. In the first game, outside the copypasta sidequests the cover was well integrated with the environment.

same cutscene-selection "wheel"-minigame
First true statement.

same shitty 12 years old writing
The writing's much better than ME1 actually. At least outside the Collectors shit.

same bland characters
Characters are more interesting. Some of them are quite good. Nothing great, but a huge improvement by Bioware standards.

And even less so called "RPG elements"
Second true statement. 2/6 isn't so bad eh?

That said, the game's still shit, just not for the reasons you mentioned.

lol @ paying attention to skyway.

phelot said:
Yes, I opened the link and even read the whole thing. It doesn't mention were it's from.

Codex/UPDATE: Bring Down the Skyedit this page
< Codex
(Redirected from Translator)
Contents [show]

edit Secondary Codex Entries

Categories: Secondary Codex Entries | Codex | Gameplay | Background

FFS

Anyway:

Morinth is an asari Ardat-Yakshi, suffering from a rare asari genetic disorder which causes her to kill her mates while joining minds with them. In turn she becomes smarter, more powerful, and deadlier after each coupling.

[...]

If Shepard talks to Morinth on the ship, she will express her desire to mate with the Commander as Shepard is unlike any other person she has had before. She even suggests that Shepard is too strong willed to die if they join with her and proposes that after they complete their mission that they should celebrate by doing so. If they both survive the suicide mission, Shepard can choose to mate with her as promised; however Morinth's claims prove to be a bluff and Shepard painfully dies during joining, leading to a 'critical mission failure' game over message.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bat_boro

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
What it means is that:

"We have no idea about the plot of ME3 so we're rolling in random DLC with various shitty plot-threads and shittier characters from ME1 and ME2 to gauge the interest of our retarded customers. What ever becomes most popular, ie best selling, is what we'll run away with for ME3. It won't matter at all if it conflicts with events in ME1 or ME2 since we've already shown that we don't care one tiny iota about coherence or continuance, as long as the money trucks keep rolling in"

Mark my words.

Hey that's a cool one. Kind of like that scene from The Wire where the Mayor was on TV and some journalist were watching him in a bar and the Mayor said some shit like that producer and the journalist translated it in real words.

Phelot

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I would have accepted that apology if the bolded words weren't links explaining what it is and if I hadn't said

It's in the in-game Codex

already. It does mention where it's from, you're just too popamole to read it :smug:

I meant which game it was from. I have no idea what Bring Down the Sky is though with your tender explanation, I now know. Thanks d00d!

It still doesn't change the fact that the first game alone never explained it though does it?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Same shitty combat
No, combat is much more reliant on cover now and much more like GOW.
Holy fuck, you mean it's even worse now (if that was even possible)? Haha!

No, the design is just as linear but the cover is much, MUCH more in your face. In the first game, outside the copypasta sidequests the cover was well integrated with the environment.
Not really. I still remember running through those low poly hills on the mission where you get Liara iirc - it was all empty and then all of a sudden - BLAM - right in the middle of nowhere, in a perfect symmetry - bunch of rocks. And of course as soon as I've reached them enemies appeared. I really couldn't see them coming with all that cover!

The writing's much better than ME1 actually. At least outside the Collectors shit.
Considering that Saving The Universe from the Ancient Enemy is as low as you can go in sci fi

Characters are more interesting. Some of them are quite good. Nothing great, but a huge improvement by Bioware standards.
What about non-slash-fic standards? You could've just written "Good For What It Is"

phelot said:
I meant which game it was from. I have no idea what Bring Down the Sky is though with your tender explanation, I now know. Thanks d00d!

np, bro, just some klassic kodex kourtesy

It still doesn't change the fact that the first game alone never explained it though does it?

Yeah...but as I said, I recall an explanation of sorts...I think Avina (the virtual girl that serves as a guide in the citadel) mentions something. Not sure, though.

skyway said:
a bunch of shit

Oh, fuck off poser. Go actually Deus Ex instead of pretending to be hardcore,
Mr. "NWN 2 95%".

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
Holy fuck, you mean it's even worse now (if that was even possible)? Haha!
Yes it is. Hey, I called you out for being wrong about combat being the same, not it being shitty :P

Not really. I still remember running through those low poly hills on the mission where you get Liara iirc
You must be thinking of something else because Liara's mission does not involve running around hills. You drive around the hills then run inside the mines. Almost all exteriors involve the Mako actually, I think the only one where you run around is the very beginning. There are rocks, but they're not symmetrical. Frankly I never used the cover system in ME1. I just used good old strafing, running and crouching behind a wall, etc, without the "auto-cover" mechanism. In ME2 doing this results in instant death. You HAVE to use the cover system, then you become magically immune to bullets that should connect with Shepard's mesh.

Considering that Saving The Universe from the Ancient Enemy is as low as you can go in sci fi
I did say outside the Collectors shit. The MQ is much worse than anything in ME1.

What about non-slash-fic standards? You could've just written "Good For What It Is"
I would've, but the gameplay sucks so much that it just didn't feel right :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sceptic said:
You must be thinking of something else because Liara's mission does not involve running around hills. You drive around the hills then run inside the mines.
Yeah I remember that on that mission after the Maco ride through the hills you exit it and then run some distance on foot where you encounter those rocks. That was probably the most cover-right-in-your-face moment of the whole game.

Frankly I never used the cover system in ME1. I just used good old strafing, running and crouching behind a wall, etc, without the "auto-cover" mechanism.
I've tried doing that too before I realized that it still goes down to shooting popping up heads as enemies don't do the same.

In ME2 doing this results in instant death. You HAVE to use the cover system, then you become magically immune to bullets that should connect with Shepard's mesh.
Yeah it's another reason why I hate this shitty cover system so much. When you are not behind the magical boxes enemies never have a problem hitting you, but the moment you press the retard button something immediately happens to their precision.

I would've, but the gameplay sucks so much that it just didn't feel right :smug:

I can see your point

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom