Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you approve of Obsidian's current projects?

What do you think about the upcoming Aliens game and Alpha Protocol?

• I don't like them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like both of them

• I only look forward to the Aliens RPG

• Total voters

Texas Red

Whiner
Judging by KotOR 2 and MotB it is clear that Obsidian is the best developer. Yet I'm not too happy about their current projects. As I dislike games set in modern times, Alpha Protocol seems really unappealing. The story is completely lame and average, I wish they would bring in some divine or alien factors to spice it up. The character, a young ass hunter action hero, sounds something Hollywood would come up to to attract the hip and cool young audience. I'd rather play some old guy or, you know, something not seen on the TV every fucking day.

The stances is nothing new. The new Bard's Tale had them. It is far more satisfying to be in full possession of your character(makes sense doesn't it). Needless "innovation" that throws the RPG genre a few steps behind. What will console tards think of RPGs, growing up on ME and AP? In Bard's Tale, from what little I played of it, I had no clue what the bard will say.

So, you have a premade character who's role you can play(you play a role of a rogue agent and that's why its an RPG blah blah blah) and you can't even choose what he has to say, only these "stances". The difference between PS:T and AP is that you had full control over your alignment and stats(part of *your* character) affected dialogs. Apparently stats like intelligent won't affect conversation in AP. Plus modern times are limited to skills which yet again narrow your choice. You can play an unarmed(which completely makes sense, right?) and an armed character and that's it, now count how many different ones you could play in NWN 2.

The Aliens RPG may have promise and I have more hope to it just because its sci-fi. But its lame sci-fi based on a stupid concept: monster is out there help us lul. There are a lot of sci-fi themes out there and they had to pick the most primitive one. Also, the movie sucks. In fact, all movies like that SUCK.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Never really cared much for the Aliens franchise, so fuck that game. Alpha Protocol has the potential to be good as long as they don't do something stupid to mess it up.

Chefe

Erudite
Aliens RPG - Yet another spin off of something that has already had enough sequels? Please excuse my extreme excitement.

AP - A governmental stealth game that's focused around dialog. They should change the name to Digital Sedative. Obsidian gets a chance to make a new IP and they come up with this? Un-fucking-believable.

gamefan

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
The Aliens RPG may have promise and I have more hope to it just because its sci-fi. But its lame sci-fi based on a stupid concept: monster is out there help us lul. There are a lot of sci-fi themes out there and they had to pick the most primitive one. Also, the movie sucks. In fact, all movies like that SUCK.
Your an idiot.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
gamefan said:
Dark Individual said:
Your an idiot.
This is coming from the guy that doesn't know to use the word "you're" for this insult. Use the right word, dumbass.

Texas Red

Whiner
gamefan said:
Dark Individual said:
Your an idiot.

Waaa waaa did I insult your favorite movie? God dammit man, the monster chasing theme has been around as long as humanity. Its old and it has been done to death. Writers have written much, much better. Anyway, the poll speaks for itself.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
If there is only one alien, and you are stranded in space with only your shipmates, then Alien will kick ass. One thing I disliked about Aliens was that the aliens died far too easily, near the end when they're crawling in the tunnels I remember that commander dude killed a couple with a goddamn pistol. It was good to see Alien 3 return to the "one alien" concept (Alien 3 is dissed waaaay too much, its really good, on par with Aliens I'd say, if you are watching the director's cut that is).

AP? Ermm, a bit iffy. The dialogue sounds too shit for my tastes. Gonna need more info on both games obviously.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Dark Individual said:
Waaa waaa did I insult your favorite movie? God dammit man, the monster chasing theme has been around as long as humanity. Its old and it has been done to death. Writers have written much, much better. Anyway, the poll speaks for itself.

Not even talking about the movie quality but if that story has been done and redone, it might be because of something else than writers having no imagination. Try to look around a bit more, read some books (good or bad), watch some movies, stories from different times . See if you can draw parallels between them, if some themes do not come back.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They're working on both a spy game and a sf one. Since it's from Obsidian and I'm all for moving away from the same old tiring cliched fantasy crap, I'm more than a little hopefull.

Raapys

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Too early to tell.

That said, I'd have preferred if they came up with something a little more 'new and creative'.

Starwars

Arcane
Alpha Protocol has an interesting setting, and I admit that I just want to see where Obsidian takes such a game. But the Mass Effect-ish gameplay is a turn-off for me. I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it, but I doubt it will go in my "must-play" list.

Not much known about Alien. I always loved the first movie, and I think the Alien setting could be an interesting one for a RPG. I just doubt that they will take it in the direction I want though.

But yeah, to early to tell on both games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Judging by KotOR 2 and MotB"

KOTOR 2 - Okay but overrated

MOTB - Awesome; but still just an expansion

NWN2 - Like how you forgot their first game which is merely 'fun'.

As for the next two.. They merely look like they'll be fun which is all I cna ask. Good stuff.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn, your nothing but a high level troll, aren't you? We had a KotOR 2 versus KotOR 1 discussion a billion times and your trying to drag us in to it again.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
As someone who loves the movies, right up to Alien 3, I felt compelled to do this:

gamefan said:
Dark Individual said:
You don't seem to be a very intelligent dark individual, Dark Individual.
Fucking fixed.

As far as these projects go... eh, I'm curious about them but I haven't checked up on them enough to say anything else. Alpha Protocol sounds cool, although perhaps a little bit too "Mass Effect-y" judging from the previews.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Volourn, your nothing but a high level troll, aren't you? We had a KotOR 2 versus KotOR 1 discussion a billion times and your trying to drag us in to it again."

When you post shit like "Judging by KotOR 2 and MotB it is clear that Obsidian is the best developer."; I'd sya you ar emore the troll. Those two games most certainnly don't prove anything of the sort, and I say that despite loving MotB.

Don't state your opinion like it was fact unless you are expecting a reaction. R00fles!

Texas Red

Whiner
Locue said:
As someone who loves the movies, right up to Alien 3, I felt compelled to do this:

gamefan said:
Dark Individual said:
You don't seem to be a very intelligent dark individual, Dark Individual.
Fucking fixed.

Sorry for being aware that Obsidian picked the Alien just to have recognizable title and that there exist much better stories and settings. Sorry, but after reading Cordwainer Smith I can't go back to a monster chasing people.

gamefan

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
gamefan said:
Dark Individual said:
Your an idiot.

Not my favroite movie, but you can't really say the alien movie's sucked, The first 2 very quite good, the first one was great for the time it came out, 3 and resurrection were shit though.

Solohk

Scholar
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Too early to tell.

However I do think it's funny that people here complain about Yet Another Generic Fantasy RPG, and then Obsidian decides to make a spy RPG and an Alien RPG, and now we see WHHAAAAAAAAAAAA WHERES THE ELVES????

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm quite pleased with the direction. Maybe I'm overtly positive because the summer sun has fried my brains, but AP just might be more goodness that Deus Ex delivered.

As for Aliens, too early to tell. Hopefully it's along the lines of the first film.

Zomg

Arbiter
I was harsh about the Aliens RPG at first, but I remember, while reading that RPG roundtable VD posted at Iron Tower, thinking that it was worth looking forward to. I'm afraid of Alpha Protocol cementing the tonal dialogue thing as the one and only solution for these games but I think on its own merits I'll probably enjoy it.

Black_Willow

Arcane
There should be "kingcomrade" option in the pole

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom