Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you usually kill all the NPCs you meet in RPGs?

jungl

Augur
I liked how in Elona you can kill npcs or named ones for achievements and rare loot and they respawn after few weeks. More games could adopt and expand this kind of gameplay. Would be fun playing a rpg where you can have unique combat encounters by fighting npcs you normally wouldnt in most games. Attack a black smith and his apprentice and dog join the fight. Attack a queen and fight a spell caster different then anything else in the game and her honor guard.

Except when you duel these npcs nothing bad happens. western rpgs takes themselves too serious and could look to adopt some stuff from jrpgs.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
The likelihood of me killing NPCs increases with how powerful they are compared to the other enemies in the game.

For me, it's not if they are dangerous, but if they have tons of good loot or money.

npc_grad.jpg

Are you from the NPC School?

bgQJSXu.png

He reads the Codex.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I have a habit of killing or beating up dishonest and cocky characters just to show who's the boss of this gym.
91e0yn.gif

PsychoFox

Educated
I don't but i like the option to be there. RPG writers have a habit of writing incredibly annoying (read arrogant, whiny, bitching etc.) NPCs. It's always encouraging to know I can blast them off a cliff if they get *too* on my nerves. Usually doesn't happen though.

lefthandblack

Arcane
what game is that?

Kingdom Come Deliverance. The monastery quest, you are supposed to be locked inside and forced to do a bunch of boring shit to find a specific individual, you can't leave or do anything else in the game until you do. I chose to just kill everyone there and loot the corpses thereby accomplishing the objective while getting to kill a bunch of Mackerel-Snapping-Papists in the process.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Only if they're really obnoxious, or if they're some kind of obvious mouthpiece for the developer, gotta kill those quick.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I almost always play Dirty Harry types who ruthlessly murder the guilty but protect the innocent, so no.

Funposter

Arcane
I very rarely kill NPCs, and typically try my best to preserve them at all costs. There's nothing worse than a game that's been turned into a ghost town.

Ranarama

Learned
Not normally, but I remember installing mods to kill all the children in little lamplight in Fallout 3 after being annoyed at the idea that it wasn't an option in an "RPG".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom