Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo Does anyone know what this thread is about?

laclongquan

Arcane
I havent played Daggerfall or anything earlier than Morrowind made by Bethesda, so I can not comment on Bethesda's writing quality pre-MW.

Lhynn

Arcane
MW main quest writing is clever. But yeah, not much is needed, as long as its not fucking retarded like in skyrim or oblivion i dont care.

set

Cipher
Skyrim/Oblivion's writing is so poor I never finished either main quest and I don't know how anyone could unless they had titanic patience.

Slow James

Savant
Skyrim/Oblivion's writing is so poor I never finished either main quest and I don't know how anyone could unless they had titanic patience.

Why? It takes fifteen hours, MAX, to blaze through both with fast travel and objective markers. It's not like the game requires you to slog through 60+ hours to complete the main quest.

I'm not defending it, by any stretch. But it's not a Herculean effort to do, either.

set

Cipher
It's incredibly boring. 15 hours of uninvolved drivel?

Machocruz

Arcane
Bethesda isn't capable of figuring out interesting solutions to things anymore. Their answer to travel is only efficient on the return trip, but less efficient than having a spell, scroll, or potion that takes you to the exact spot in the world you want to return to. You still have to walk or ride a crippled horse to a place to 'activate' the fast travel node, even though Daggerfall solved that problem in 1996, and did it in a way that gave lip service to a world where actions come with costs. In games that live on the breadth they offer, it's a bit retarded to not have all these options in one game. But 'thesda gonna 'thesda.

As I said in the Skyrim vs. Oblivion thread, Bethesda just don't have much style or flavor in their approach to game design, or much imagination, and it holds true for their travel systems as well. Heaven forbid the player being able to use cool fucking magic to zip around in a fantasy game, or horses that can run fast like horses do, or be able to ride on flying beasts, which even a super popamole game like WoW lets you do. Rivers but no rafts, mountains but no climbing ability/gear, skies but no flying mounts, horses but no running speed. And there are people who think Bethesda do open world better than Rockstar or Ubisoft. Give me a break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom