Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
That which isn't alive can never die.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just played this a bit again for the first time in a while.... slum,ming it like a retard in recalibration matches.
In my final recalibration match I'm a treant with an OoV in a lane with an ursa, so obviously his take on that is to only cast his Q starting 3 mins and go straight for a morbid mask... IDK my brain just shut off and i fed the rest of that game.

Calibrated as Legend V which is absolute dogshit, going to play support pugna since, besides liking the hero, it has high movespeed and can splitpush, both of which mean I don't have to be tied to low MMR cores' shitbad handling of landpushing and mapmovement... though I will try to be helpful.

Vatnik
also wtf I moved from the UK to Australia and I STILL get Russians

1675523709884.png

1675523794377.png

hahaha

Vatnik
This game is so much better than League, league is a retarded dogshit browser game with animefaggotry and limited mechanics everywhere. I want to play league someday just so i can explain why it's shit, for now all I remember is that it doesn't even have proper forests (individual trees) but cucked bushes

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This game is so much better than League, league is a retarded dogshit browser game with animefaggotry and limited mechanics everywhere. I want to play league someday just so i can explain why it's shit, for now all I remember is that it doesn't even have proper forests (individual trees) but cucked bushes

League is like Dota for babies.
Can't block / deny your own lane so it removes the micromanagement aspect greatly.
All the champions have "omg wtf bbq" mobility abilities and zoom zoom summoner spells.
Most Items give passive benefits, less keys to bind.
Free Teleports & Wards (Dota 2 is sorta moving in this direction with wards and couriers)
Jungling meta is basically 'farm duh camps' - no camp stacking, invading other peoples jungles is super easy to spot / counter
Lane meta is set in stone, you rarely see anyone do anything like cut lane, back door a lane bla blah
Vision / Map awareness is so much less taxing. It's so easy to spot when a champ is rotating / missing, even with magic bushes everywhere to hide - the gameplay is so conducive to everyone always showing 24/7 in a lane so there's way less guess work / skill in predicting anything.

I'm sure at the highest levels play there's a meta there to master.. but Dota is just a better designed game IMO. Also Dota 2 looks better.

What League does have is:
- a not-dead community. So you don't sit in queue for 10 years waiting for a game - only to play with the same 9 players again juggled up into different team slots.
- shorter games, so you aren't stuck in games for an hour and a half when the team comps are gimped and nobody can finish
- early surrendering for lost causes, so your not forced to play boring games either when your team is shit or the other team is shit - it lets teams put a bullet in it and move on
- Way less CC.. and most CC is 'skill shots' (You have to land it, not a point-click-stun) - there is no BKB, and it's not mandatory to have one.

I recently started playing again after quitting for about 2 years. I can honestly say my experience with Dota has never been this swingy - maybe it's the nature of the patch, but I've had multiple blocks of win and loss streaks in the past couple of months and my MMR has shifted +-700.

It's never been this bad, at least in my experience. Anyway, the viable hero pool seems extremely limited and the meta is very boring. Looking forward to the new patch, hope Icefrog is back.

Dr1f7

Scholar
don't matter it's the only io skin ever
i'd buy a skin that turned my boy into a floating turd

Dr1f7

Scholar
I like the bigger map tbh I wouldn't mind if they made the map even bigger, it feels a little too cluttered with all the outposts and crap they scattered everywhere

Skorpion

Educated
I mainly only follow dota once a year these days for TI and this seems like a total rework of the game, map included.
Is Icefrog still the only one balancing this or did they peace out? This seems drastic so its why Im wondering.
Also dropping it in the middle of a million dollar tournament haha priceless!

Skorpion

Educated
IceFrog left somewhere between 2016 - 2017... and you can tell.
Ah I wasnt aware, I basically only watch the TI so that tidbit was missed by me somewhere along the lines.
I hope they are out there balancing the shit out of something to this day whatever it may be!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Nah, this is still very much his style. People were speculating that he had left because the updates started feeling safe and conservative. This is basically just the sequel to 7.00 when he introduced talents, backpacks, and shrines.

Hopefully 50% of the new shit will be removed again, like they did with Shrines.

It feels like some MMO PvE atm. Farm drops and craft items.

What's next? the shopkeep wants you to fetch him 3 medical plants before he will sell you items?

KVVRR

Learned
There was a podcast a few months back with one of the pros on the scene specifically mentioning that Icefrog was back on the team after having been working on another unreleased project for a good while.

I've been enjoying the patch. It's pretty crazy but for someone like me who only plays very casually now after years of raging at the game it's interesting. The game definitely needed a big shake-up. Plus, it's cool to play a patch before everything is figured out optimally. There's potential to make plays the other team doesn't see coming, it's easier to come back from a losing position and I really like the neutral item token system.

I was a little disappointed with how few new items there are, but the ones that are there are cool. Overall a nice surprise, you can definitely see the Icefrog touch, the patch even has a crazy easter egg (block of cheese). I like it how crucial consumables are now on a shared CD so everyone can't just spam mangoes and clarities forever. I had hoped for a bigger nerf to sentries (range is still absurd), but as the map is bigger vision is naturally nerfed.

Dr1f7

Scholar
the new portals are way too much fun I'm afraid they're gonna get nerfed
so ez and fun to just portal to the other side of the map and gank, or use portals to cut waves late game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom